Will this chem IA work for chem HL?

studentdying

Hi, my idea for my chem IA is to get a bunch of different types of juices or drinks containing acid such as citric acid, and measure the enthalpy of neutralization of each juice by reacting it with a base. I'm not sure if I will be able to write a sufficient IA for chem HL on this topic, so I would appreciate feedback on if my topic would work or not, thanks so much!

Ooh this sounds like a good one! It sounds complicated enough for a chem HL prac and pretty original. The one comment I would make is that be careful with what juices/drinks you chose. Ideally, you would want the type of acid to be the only variable, and hopefully nothing else in the juice will affect the enthalpy of neutralisation. It is pretty difficult to achieve that; the most realistic thing you can do is to make sure that the concentration of the fruit juice is the same, or that it's from the same company so that the formulation is hopefully identical. It's not too big a fuss; if all else fails just make sure you mention this as an uncontrolled variable.

But otherwise, sounds good!