Should I do the IB?

Flop55

Hi guys,

At the end of this month, I will be going into year 11 and beginning my study of HSC/IB.

My school offers a choice between IB and HSC (an Australian school certificate). Out of these, I have chosen the HSC and am wondering whether I have made the right decision.

I have chosen the HSC because it gives you a wider choice of subjects. The only compulsory subject is English, whereas in the IB you have to study a subject from at least 5 areas. The subjects I have chosen for HSC are English, Maths, French, Society and Culture, Ancient History. and Business Studies. If I was to do IB I would probably do English, Maths, French, Biology, Psychology and Global Politics. (Possibly Psych, Glob. Pol and something else for HL)

Academically, compared to others at my school, I am slightly above average in English, Maths and French but considerably below average in Science, mainly because I really struggle understanding how things work (this could cause me problems in maths). I find Biology the least difficult science to understand so that's why I would choose it.

I prefer the structure of IB to HSC and like how it is internationally recognised. Also Psychology and Global Politics are not offered in the HSC and they both sound really interesting. I like how CAS is included as I play an instrument and a sport and have been participating in community service for a while as well.

I have heard it is very difficult compared to the HSC so I'm really not sure. A lot of very academically gifted students are doing IB as well as a small handful of non-academic students. Please give some advice.

Edit: I just remembered I already bought textbooks for my HSC subjects, I could sell them I guess.....

Edited by Flop55

Do the IB; at the very least, the way IB scores is much fairer and transparent than HSC. You definitely do not need to be academically gifted to do well in IB; but you do need the drive to work hard. From experience, IB tends to reward people who worked hard to achieve where they are.

Disclaimer: I am from South Australia and since studying at ANU, I've heard one too many stories about HSC and how weird the system is. If you still have doubts, PM me