HELP ME PLS

anotherIBstudent1

Hello everyone,

So, I'm enrolled in the IB since this year. However, even though I was pretty sure about my subjects in the beginning I'm a little bit struggling now and I need help. I wasn't sure what I want to study but during winter break I've decided that I like biochemistry. That means I need to switch Chemistry SL to HL (uni requirements).For now, I have the following subjects:

ENGLISH LANG AND LIT HL 

FRENCH B SL

GLOBAL POLITICS HL (going to switch to SL)

BIOLOGY HL

CHEMISTRY SL

MATH SL

All of my subjects are fine for now, but I have some problems with Global Politics. I'm not so good at it. I don't know if I should switch to Econ SL or just try harder and do my best in Global Politics. Can someone tell me how hard is it to get a 7 in Global Politics or Econ on the exams? 

Keep in mind that I've already finished first term so I have to work on everything I've missed during that time.

If I'm not mistaken this is the first time global politics is running as a non-pilot course. Basically, how to do very well in politics will be difficult to judge and thus it would be a higher risk to take it over econ, however if you have the interest you may keep it. If you're more focused on marks, econ SL is definitely the way to go. At my school it's regarded as the easiest IB course you can take (where the term "ez 7" was coined), albeit as an IB course it still has content and diagrams that you must learn and memorize. For econ, I feel that it's one of those subjects where you know how to get to the next level. Ie if you're performing at a level 5, it's easy to find out how to improve and start getting 6s. I have a 6 in Econ HL right now and I'm on the path to raising it to a 7 simply because I looked at the tests where I got straight 6s, and realized I wasn't studying enough to retain all the information. As a result the past 3 tests have been straight 7s.

Disclaimer: Although I'm sure many people will find econ easier than politics, this is still my opinion so don't take my word for granted. Hope this helped.

31 minutes ago, Elite X-Naut said:

Basically, how to do very well in politics will be difficult to judge and thus it would be a higher risk to take it over econ, however if you have the interest you may keep it. If you're more focused on marks, econ SL is definitely the way to go. At my school it's regarded as the easiest IB course you can take (where the term "ez 7" was coined)

Adding to this thought.

Assume the student has good study habits and works equally for both subjects, the subject where there is more resources available to the student is likely going to be the easier course. Therefore, if your school has lots of experience with Econ SL and there traditionally have been good grades, then economics is the way to go. I can say that there is no universal measure of difficulty that can be used to a compare the same course at different schools. For example at my school, they teach most of the economics in year 1 and not year 2, which makes it a difficult (but high-scoring) course at my school given it moves fast right from the beginning. 

• Like 1