Econ IA Quotations

Hey everyone,

So I know that in our written commentary, the quotes that we take directly from the article don't count in the word count. Can we also use direct quotes from other sources, in definitions and such? I'm struggling with the word count and used definitions from other sources, put them in quote marks, italicised and cited them. Is that alright to do, or should I not do that?

Thanks

10 hours ago, inriya said:

Of course you can use direct quotes. However, you must cite where the quote is from or else it may be counted into plagarism.   Quote marks, italicised, cited will be great. 

e.g: According to _____, "something something". (1) 

Thank you! That's very helpful. Do you know if direct quotes count in the word count though? Otherwise, may I ask if you have any tips on reducing word count? I don't want to have to delete an entire paragraph, but I ended up having about 900 words when I should have 750. 

Thanks a lot 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2017 at 7:54 PM, sselinokcu said:

Thank you! That's very helpful. Do you know if direct quotes count in the word count though? Otherwise, may I ask if you have any tips on reducing word count? I don't want to have to delete an entire paragraph, but I ended up having about 900 words when I should have 750. 

Thanks a lot 

Oops late reply, I am really sorry!

I usually count it into the word count, but I am not sure if you must count. 

Quotations are part of the word count. Here's an excerpt from the Economics Syllabus:

The following are not included in the word count.
• Acknowledgments
• Contents page
• Diagrams
• Labels—of five words or fewer
• Headings on diagrams—of 10 words or fewer
• Tables of statistical data
• Equations, formulae and calculations
• Citations (which, if used, must be in the body of the commentary)
• References (which, if used, must be in the footnotes/endnotes)

Please note that footnotes/endnotes may be used for references only. Definitions of economic terms and quotations, if used, must be in the body of the work and are included in the word count