Chemistry IA Advice?

Popup4t4

Hi everyone,

I was curious if you guys could give me some advice on how to maximize my points for the IA that I have. It's due in one day and I'm retouching it but I have a few concerns. I have a pretty edgy topic that ended up not going too much in my favor for reasons out of my control (but I didn't want to switch topics because it was too late). It is a database IA, so no procedures or such. It is on the effect of electronegativity gap between atoms in diatomic covalent and ionic compounds on the melting point of those compounds. I talk a lot in my background about intermolecular forces, lattice energy, etc. What I ended up discovering was that there really was no noticeable trend due only to electronegativity gap increases which created stronger dipoles. I read into this and it appears that it had to do with the atomic radius and ultimately the distance between the atoms in the compound itself. Thus, since electronegativity and radius are both fundamental properties of elements, it's sort of impossible to isolate either of the variables due to the fact that they are both present in Coulomb's law. 

My question is that since my hypothesis was that there would be a trend due to the electronegativity gap, is it ok that I'm wrong if I explore the reason for my error? I decided that I could choose three or so compounds with similar distance between the atoms to keep that more or less constant and then see the effect of electronegativity increase on the melting points. Is that a suitable path? Also, since I am wrong in my hypothesis, what would I put for error since really it's kind of the entire thing? I don't expect to get full marks simply because of the topic's inadequacy, but I'd like to maximize my score and get at least a B (6). Thanks! 

Edited by Popup4t4

The question you asked is on the borderline of what is considered of "outside help" by IB. You should do the best of your ability to phrase your research question that allows you to explore all that you want to, and the evidence should sufficiently answer and justify (whether affirm or disprove) your research question. Remember that you should first ensure the remaining of your essay is well organized and meets IB expectations before adding new content in the last minute.