Sensitive TOK discussion topics

Ludwig S

We are currently doing the unit of Art for TOK, but our teacher always bring up some sensitive political topics for us to discuss. And the discussion would either become supper heated or just a dead silence. I had an intense discussion with my teacher in class, and it ended horribly. After several talks with my teacher and the coordinator at my school, they still refuse to get rid off all the sensitive topics due to we have to be well-rounded. I am considering leaving the class if similar topics come up again, because they were saying I'm being too emotional when I was discussing within the class. Do you think this is a good idea? How bad is it if no one in my class likes TOK?

If you're doing the IB diploma, dropping just because of TOK is not worth it.

I was at the same position as you in my TOK classes. We would be discussing one thing in class, and the next minute, the teacher would completely switch to a more controversial topic, and the discussions from then on would just be heated and nothing more than people shouting insults at each other. I hope your situation wasn't as dramatic as mine.

At the beginning, the discussions were rather painful to sit through as I heard the opinions of my teachers and some of my classmates. Things got so bad, that I considered dropping the class. I didn't quit the class because I realized that whatever was happening in my TOK class was similar to the "real world". You're going to come across these topics at some point in your life, if not now, then maybe a few years down the road. You're going to come across people with different viewpoints on these issues, some of which you will disagree with. Eventually, I managed to "train" myself to not get emotionally involved in these discussions. I think this was the most valuable thing I learned from TOK, along with dealing with these kinds of people. Personally, I think it'll be a useful skill in the future. ;)

If you feel you're going to get very emotional, I'll give you some tips as to how I kept my emotions under control. Whenever I felt angry at something someone said, I'd count in my head until I started calming down. Then I'd think in my head, Is it worth getting involved and making a comeback? Often times, it'd be a no- and I'd just let it slide. If things go way out of hand, I'd suggest asking to leave the class and take a walk around the school for a few minutes to calm down, and come back to the class. Hopefully, the discussion has ended, if not,, you can sit back and enjoy the chaos :D

As for your class not liking TOK...it's normal. Almost nobody likes the class :P

• 2 weeks later...