What exactly is the IB Program??

Pradhee

Hey guys! n___n

I'm currently in grade 10, and want to take full IB in grades 11 and 12. I know that IB is a rigorous program that'll challenge me to do my best in school and that it will prepare me for the workload in university. But I have a few questions:

-What exactly is Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay? Are they like extra subjects that I will have to take? Can I do these in my own time or do I have to sit in a classroom for an hour to learn about these? 

-How hard is it, really? I've heard that students in the IB program don't go to bed before midnight because of the amount of work given. Is this true? 

-How are you supposed to complete CAS? Can I take an art class in my school and make it count for creativity only, and join a sports team for action, and volunteer somewhere for service? Or do I have to do an activity that'll count for all three at once? 

-Do you have to record the hours done for CAS? 

-I've heard that you have to do essays in even math, is this true? 
-How are IB students marked? 

-What can I do now, as a tenth grader, to prepare for IB in grades 11 and 12? 

Thanks for reading. :P If you have anything else to add that you think will really help me understand the IB program, please do so! c: I appreciate any tips! 

I graduated from a Canadian IB school so if you wanna ask me any questions then feel free

17 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-What exactly is Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay? Are they like extra subjects that I will have to take? Can I do these in my own time or do I have to sit in a classroom for an hour to learn about these?

Starting with the Essay, it's a 4000 word research paper on a topic of your choice, but most often you write it in a subject you're taking (for example, you can do a history research paper if you're taking history because you'll (hopefully) be good at it). It's often done on your own, but you get a teacher to be a supervisor so you can ask them questions whenever.

TOK is kinda sorta philosophy. It's basically a course that blows your mind by making you question how you know things. You have to write an essay and make a presentation for this class. My school offered a course during school for TOK, but every school is different and some don't have TOK as a class.

21 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-How hard is it, really? I've heard that students in the IB program don't go to bed before midnight because of the amount of work given. Is this true? 

I can 95% say it'll be harder than Grade 10. The assignments are longer and the classes are more detailed so you have to know more content than a normal academic class. However, I didn't find it impossible, and the first semester is usually the easiest. You'll probably have some late nights where you're writing an essay til midnight, but if you manage your time you can easily catch those ZZZs. Procrastination is the downfall for IB kids. 

25 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-How are you supposed to complete CAS? Can I take an art class in my school and make it count for creativity only, and join a sports team for action, and volunteer somewhere for service? Or do I have to do an activity that'll count for all three at once? 

I don't think art classes IN SCHOOL count, but if you take lessons then I think it's fair game. Creativity is really open to interpretation and it's a great way to destress. Sports teams are also perfect for Activity and you'll get a ton of hours. Service is anything that involves leadership. Volunteering works (I think there's some small restrictions but not really important) and you can also plan and run school/community activities. You have to record how many hours you do and get a supervisor signature and fill out 'reflections' about what you gained from the experience. CAS was pretty easy. 90% of my IB class finished it in Year 1

29 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-I've heard that you have to do essays in even math, is this true? 

YUP YOU DO. Again, try not to worry about this now. I wrote a 2000 word essay about building the perfect fortress during the zombie apocalypse and proved that my guards could intercept any zombies before reaching the perimeter. 

32 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-How are IB students marked? 

This is hard to explain. if you're by chance from Ontario, send a message and I'll explain it a bit more in depth. But in general your marks get converted to a level from 1-7 and 7 is the top. There's a grade boundary for each level in each class (for example, in my Biology class an 80%+ became a 7). 

35 minutes ago, Pradhee said:

-What can I do now, as a tenth grader, to prepare for IB in grades 11 and 12? 

Just chill and hang with friends. You'll probably have to sacrifice some social life for IB, so enjoy it while you can. Other than that, just improve any study habits and time management skills you have. You'll need it ;)