HELP - decision making

NadinaCastro

Hi :)

I am currently a D1 IB diploma student and I am not sure that I made the right decisions with my subject choices. I think that I am struggling too much with subjects that are not needed for the career that I want to study in university. I would like to study English (preferably English literature) in universities such as Durham, UCL or King's College London in the UK. These all ask for 38-35 points but I am aiming to achieve 42 points. My current subjects are the following:

English Literature A HL 

Spanish B SL (easiest subject since I am Spanish)

History HL (hardest subject for me since I don't feel passionate towards it and am considering either dropping to SL or changing to business)

Biology HL (tough but I love this subject and I really do not want to drop it)

Mathematics SL (really having a tough time with this one and am considering dropping to studies SL)

Theatre HL

For theatre, biology, spainsh and english I am 100% sure that I have made the right choice for me and with these subjects I know that I will be able to achieve 42 points but it's the other three that trouble me. Could you please give me your honest opinion and guidance on what I should drop or change in order to achieve 42 points and get into one of those universities to study English?

Thanks for your help! 

Your courses look fine and very oriented towards your intended major. However, HL History will take a massive chunk of time, or so I've heard. Also it's pretty hard to get a 7 in it, so this is maybe the only course you might want to change. I took ITGS HL and I highly recommend the course. It's pretty fun and isn't overly difficult, and doesn't need you to write as many papers or memorize as many dates and figures. It's not easy, but I think it's very manageable and an interesting course. Business is also a decent choice, but I don't recommend you dropping your group 3 subject to SL.

For math, you may want to check with your desired universities. I know that most North American schools do no recognize math studies as an IB course and therefore will consider your application incomplete, regardless of major. I have no idea how it works in the UK, so you may want to do some research on that.

42 is a very high mark, but by no means impossible. It's going to take a lot of work and consistency, but I think it's achievable with your courses. Good luck!

• Like 1

If you are going to study English in university then the kind of math you are taking won't be too important. If you are finding math is taking too much time and you are not achieving want you want in math, then switching it to studies would help a lot. In addition, you should check the course requirements for the universities you want to get in, because some universities they want at least a math SL regardless of the program taking. 

History is a course that will take a lot time in order to do well at. If you are not interested in it, it would directly affect you performance. I have classmates who are taking Business and Management and they are getting 7s. If you love business, then I recommend you switch to business. 

Overall, I think you are doing well! I hope my comment helped :P

• Like 3

On 1/16/2017 at 3:05 PM, NadinaCastro said:

Hi :)

I am currently a D1 IB diploma student and I am not sure that I made the right decisions with my subject choices. I think that I am struggling too much with subjects that are not needed for the career that I want to study in university. I would like to study English (preferably English literature) in universities such as Durham, UCL or King's College London in the UK. These all ask for 38-35 points but I am aiming to achieve 42 points. My current subjects are the following:

English Literature A HL 

Spanish B SL (easiest subject since I am Spanish)

History HL (hardest subject for me since I don't feel passionate towards it and am considering either dropping to SL or changing to business)

Biology HL (tough but I love this subject and I really do not want to drop it)

Mathematics SL (really having a tough time with this one and am considering dropping to studies SL)

Theatre HL

For theatre, biology, spainsh and english I am 100% sure that I have made the right choice for me and with these subjects I know that I will be able to achieve 42 points but it's the other three that trouble me. Could you please give me your honest opinion and guidance on what I should drop or change in order to achieve 42 points and get into one of those universities to study English?

Thanks for your help! 

Hi NadinaCastro, 

The subjects that you are currently taking are acceptable for the course you are going to pursue, however, History is a very challenging course that will take up a lot of time but is a very respected subject among UK universities.  

Some advice I can give you is: 

Only drop to math studies if you are 100% certain that this is the career path you will pursue in, as taking math studies does limit your options. But since you are taking 4HLs and your field of study (English) does not require math.. then don't take it at standard! Math Standard is a tough course and taking math studies will not only bring your overall grade higher, it will also free up time to focus on your HLS

History HL is a tough course, however, is certainly respected among universities but if you are planning on racking up the grades then I would suggest dropping to an easier subject like Business Managment or even ESS!

I do wish you luck in the future!

-B

• Like 1