When can our senses deceive us?

thevalley

I'm doing a presentation derived from the ToK question "When can we trust our senses to give us the truth?". My question for my presentation is then: When can our senses deceive us?. I have already taken the examples of optical illusions and mirage, but I would be thankful If you could give other examples which on the other senses and also if many senses could be deceived at the same time. I'm doing a power-point presentation so realistic and common examples would be appreciated.

Thank you :P

~thevalley~

[quote name='thevalley' post='30071' date='Dec 11 2008, 03:54 AM']I'm doing a presentation derived from the ToK question "When can we trust our senses to give us the truth?". My question for my presentation is then: When can our senses deceive us?. I have already taken the examples of optical illusions and mirage, but I would be thankful If you could give other examples which on the other senses and also if many senses could be deceived at the same time. I'm doing a power-point presentation so realistic and common examples would be appreciated.

Thank you :help:

~thevalley~[/quote]

Just a quick note, When can our senses deceive us? ...When we dont interpret them correctly, look at all the areas of knowledge and see whether what we know was learned by empirical knowledge, etc. Define senses and define truth. That will get you on a good path. Just make sure to stay on track and dont go too much into optical illusions.

Good Luck,

Remember what is truth!? Try to answer that before anything else

Distorted sense perception is present in Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). Google that, it's where people either imagine defects with their bodies or over-exaggerate existing ones. It's different from anorexia, bulimia and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder because it's actually classified as a mental disorder.

The way they see themselves is completely different from how they actually look. Up to 20% of patients that undergo plastic surgery suffer from BDD.

So we can't trust our sense to give us truth when ti comes to our appearance.

Btw, I used this example in a TOK presentation a few days ago and my teacher like it. So it should work for you too.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm... well. there are many other illusions apart from optical.. u could probably google the mosquito ringtone or something like that... people above 25 or so arent expected to hear it!! that might be a good one... for other senses try to think up things that taste or feel the same and play a little game of it to see how ppl can gt mislead... u myt also want to look at the limitations of our senses... and how they work so how we may interprete wrongly... u cud also discuss how language and emotion and interprete wat we see.. sort of like when u feel really depressed, u myt interprete things negatively when it may nt be true.. if get new info on other illusions or generally it'd b great if u cud post it too..
good luck.. cya