Study during summer and winter holidays

happy sun

Umm, I am doing HL chem and I find the HL stuff WAY easier than the SL. But it all depends on where your strengths and weaknesses are. There are the phys/math/chem people and the art/history/english people (to massively generalize) -- and then there are those people you want to kill who can do everything. I have one of those people in most of my classes, and in the holidays she calls me and stresses me out with how much work she has done. I got so stressed in the august/september holidays that I summarized all the HL and SL biology syllabus points that we had done that year. And HOW it helped! I understood so much! At the end of your first year, I recommend going through your syllabi and making sure you understand every point. Remember first and second year count so you want to have the work for the first year all neatly condensed so that you don't go crazy with two years of unfinished work come exam time.

BUT RELAX AS WELL! I recommend half and half. You can have a life while in the IB (shock horror) as long as you stay on top of your work. And don't study in a place you don't want to be. Study in a place you feel happy -- it's much more conducive to effective learning. I sit in my backyard. Whatever works for you. Study as if you are on holiday (because, let's face it, YOU ARE. Enjoy it!).

Sermon over.

Clearly this is a wise person, listen to him. And you will be fine.

How can HL stuff be easier than SL?

HL is just more work and time on top of the SL syllabus.

That is partly right, however much of the HL physics material is way harder than the SL material. For example the cornot cycle. Identifying the different processes is not a easy job I say. And i connot remember having anything which is nearly as hard in the SL part.... altough both in Chem and Phys there is places were you just learn more.

Its my summer break, im mixing it up but im not too stressed at the end of the day guys school is school, we could get cancer etc, live life, have fun, and make memories. You will have the rest of your 40 years until retirement to work your butt off, just look at most of your parents.

Merry Christmas to all, from the country that is all one day ahead of you guys...New Zealand...Its Christmas eve!

oh I can relate...

Two weeks of winter break, and I have a constant list of homework that's driving me crazy.

Our History IA is due when we get back, and we've done NO preparation for it...

The TOK Essay is due as well. Also starting from scratch...

Then a big TOK presentation that we're also supposed to be getting ready for.

Add in the extra english homework, the regular math assignments, and college applications, and there's no time to enjoy the winter holidays... :)

But I'm on schedule! So maybe i'll be able to reward myself with a day at disney before I go back <3

• 2 weeks later...

I rather rest my brain like most of you here. 3 - 7 days before I realise school was coming. This is during winter break. Summer breaks = 2 weeks I will come to the realisation. So I will bust my a** and cram for the remaining time I have left... even if I can't sleep for 3 days. All for the sake of IB. :blush:

You have (from december to feb) nearly 2 MONTHS to complete that list of yours. Set up a schedule to include all of them. Im sure you can still have time to engage in er many summer activites (like hearing the whales sing) This way you won't feel guilty about having fun.

If you need any help for Chinese you can always find me :P

Oh and I've noticed a trend. You always spell assignment as: "assingment" both on here and on your facebook. Any reason why? (maybe you sing when you do assingments)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm nearly at the end of my summer break - school's gonna start next Wednesday. The whole two months've been packed with homework and revision; I've finished revising Maths, Bio, Economics, finished two essays and one commentary and my EE, studied some Kanjis for Jap and still haven't even touched on Chem revision and Maths pre-studying.

I've had more nervous breakdowns this holiday than I ever did during my IB1.

Gosh.. I remember that faraway time when I had IB summer vacations... (4 months ago haha). I didn't do a single thing in the summer vacations. Later, I was literally :D and asking myself " Why the heck didn't I do it in vacations?! " However, even when it seems like you will never finish all the stupid assignments, you do! That's when you say again: "I'm glad I enjoyed my summer vacations".

It depends how close you are to your exams! For example, last Christmas holidays, I did hardly any work, but had a really good rest and was really refreshed when I came back. But then this half term, I'm going skiing with my class, and won't do any work, so the Easter holidays I'm going to have to work solidly to get ready for exams! bit of both is best, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Study and work hard the first half of break, get ALL of it done. Then review and rest the rest of the break. This has been working really well for me, and I am WAY ahead in all my classes right now so this is GREAT!!! And just FYI I am a sophomore but I'm taking nearly all HL classes and 1 SL class, and so far, my method works really well. Also, if this is really not a tempting idea, haha as I can well imagine, just remember when the rest of your friends are slaving away the last couple days of break just to barely scrape together all the work you'll be relaxing and all you'll have to worry about is remembering to put it all in your bag before you head back to school.

thinkgreen95

Study and work hard the first half of break, get ALL of it done. Then review and rest the rest of the break

Sounds like a good idea, i'll try that.

What I really don't like is the summer reading packets. They are so tedious and annoying, and we just do it all over again when we go back to school.

I have about 30 different tasks this summer ranging from EE to simple homework tasks, but it's so much. I've been on holidays for around 2 weeks now and i've pretty much not touched work, i've just been seeing friends and swimming and generally relaxing because I think that's really important in summer holidays, plus after a year of IB you need to have a break and you need to relax, otherwise you won't work at your best capacity, you'll get stressed more easily and if you don't feel rested when you go into IB2 and assessments hit, it will suck.

I am doing Chemistry and Biology HL and I find them easier than the SL. This mainly returns to the fact that the core just provides the students with the basic information that they must know. Meanwhile in the AHL the basic information is further explained so it is somehow easier to understand. Anyway, this is not always the case. For example I am in Arabic A1 SL and it is really hard, and my friends from HL say that HL is harder than SL. And it is true that HL equals more work!!

• 5 months later...