Survival Robot

IA Writing a good Historical Investigation

199 posts in this topic

Also, I think it's good to make sure that the information given in section B and the analysis in section D match up. Not only in what is discussed, but also in the structure. My history teacher told me that it's best to present the info in section B in the order you want to analyze it in section D. This tends to strengthen the investigation. it also makes it easier for you and your marker to check that the sections fit together. Though I haven't had my history IA marked yet, so I don't know how useful my tip is. I'll let you know how it well it worked for me around March, I think.

4 people like this

hey i have some questions about the format, like is every section apart from the biblio. in continuous prose or can some be put in lists? and exactly how do you do the first part? it sounds very much like an introduction to me.

so, does anybody have a link or a saved version of the h.i. mark scheme?

mine is due tomorrow and i didn't bring my binder home, so i can't just run it by to make sure it's alright.

so if anyone happens to just have one.. that would be helpful.

i've gutted google to no success.

thanks!

p.s. why is everything here "history of the islamic world"? what about "history of the americas" too?!

p.p.s. i know, i know, i have to be a V.I.P. to see the one that's already posted ... but my h.i. is due tomorrow. so i'm desperate for the time being.

I'd like to ask:

To what extent is the assessment and criteria (basically, the information that's been posted here by the very helpful members, thanks a lot) apply to Islamic History? I don't have the syllabus section about the IA...

What are the marks that award a certain grade? For instance does a 35-40 make a 7?

Isn't the History IA marked out of 20?

At my school, the grade boundaries were around (from what I can remember):

18-20: 7

14-17:6

11-13:5

...and so on.

I'm quite sure that these vary from year to year but those were the approxiamate numbers.

yes,

Markband in my school is the same as vodka_shot.

He is also right in that it changes every year. I think the examiners take a look at how many people got what and then bell curve it

yeah it is out of 20, and our teacher said a level 7 is usually between 18-20

Could you please explain how a bell curve scale works?

Could you please explain how a bell curve scale works?

i think they take the average points poeple have, and then base that number as a 4 or a 5

hey i have some questions about the format, like is every section apart from the biblio. in continuous prose or can some be put in lists? and exactly how do you do the first part? it sounds very much like an introduction to me.

in Section A: plan of investigation, you have to include your essay question

and you also can write in list or in prose how you prefer (I did in list) the method

(write what you are going to analyse in the essay) for example: a: reasearch about...

b: selection and reading books about...

Section B; yes, is an introduction of what your are going to analyze in section D.

How soon is the HI due? In my school, our teacher made us to hand in the completed Hi in 1 month. How about you guys

How soon is the HI due? In my school, our teacher made us to hand in the completed Hi in 1 month. How about you guys

Guessing it's by mid-march essays have to be already sent for examiners to grade. :P

C- Evaluation of Sources: (Total Marks = 4)

This is where the student writes a critical evaluation of two important sources appropriate to the investigation and should refer to the origin, purpose, value and limitation of each one (remember them from paper 1? Source-based questions?). Although one might use more than two sources, it is much better to emphasize on two sources rather than a superficial evaluation of more. :D

I understand that but what if i find information about the source in another source?

do i say "this source says that the film i've used..." or do i just credit it in the end with the bibliography? is iMDB.com a reliable source (i.e does the IB deem it reliable?)?

Should it have my personal opinions about the source?

Thank you

You should have 2 distinctly independent source. IMDB is NOT a reliable source in this case - because the source should be the movie/documentary, not the IMDB page about it.

While it sounds really complicated up there, honestly all you have to focus on is the folliwng bit: "should refer to the origin, purpose, value and limitation of each one"

It's a very brief evaluation so you should only talk about those 4 things about the sources. You talk about only your two chosen sources and no other.

Your opinion is expressed only in what you think the origins, purposes, values and limitations of the sources are.

Guessing it's by mid-march essays have to be already sent for examiners to grade. :)

wait... isnt it internal assessment?

i thought the grades were just sort of reported to the ib, but not actually SENT to grade?

wait... isnt it internal assessment?

i thought the grades were just sort of reported to the ib, but not actually SENT to grade?

They're internally assessed and then moderated by IB examiners so they do get sent away

in our class we wrote a practice one in a month in year 11 and then in year 12 we had to hand in a final one by...oh, well, actually its due in like, 10 days...heaps of time really...

but we were allowed to use the one that we started in year 11 and just fix it up a bit to hand in for year 12 because it was never officially handed in during year 11. they just read it and told us roughly what mark we would get...

so i got something like 14/20 last year and now i've fixed it and changed things (plus i never bothered footnoting it last year so this year i had to go through all my books and find quotes and things...PLEASE, footnote as you go. it will save you SOOO much time...) so now i'm looking at around 18/20?

you get a fair number of points for structure so really do it well. it doesnt take that much time and it can easily add a couple marks which makes a huge difference in the long run. like if you had gotten one more point it would've pushed you from a 5 to a 6. if you cant figure out what good structure is, go to you school library and they generally have past papers as examples so just look for one with a good mark in that criteria and do what you can. cover and contents pages are a must.

goodluck!

in our class we wrote a practice one in a month in year 11 and then in year 12 we had to hand in a final one by...oh, well, actually its due in like, 10 days...heaps of time really...

but we were allowed to use the one that we started in year 11 and just fix it up a bit to hand in for year 12 because it was never officially handed in during year 11. they just read it and told us roughly what mark we would get...

so i got something like 14/20 last year and now i've fixed it and changed things (plus i never bothered footnoting it last year so this year i had to go through all my books and find quotes and things...PLEASE, footnote as you go. it will save you SOOO much time...) so now i'm looking at around 18/20?

you get a fair number of points for structure so really do it well. it doesnt take that much time and it can easily add a couple marks which makes a huge difference in the long run. like if you had gotten one more point it would've pushed you from a 5 to a 6. if you cant figure out what good structure is, go to you school library and they generally have past papers as examples so just look for one with a good mark in that criteria and do what you can. cover and contents pages are a must.

goodluck!

i thought it would be better if i write the whole thing at first and then footnote it later... i am now experiencing: i was wrong ...

what are the things i have to footnote? quotations, statistics?

I recently got my IA topic - my teacher assigns them instead of letting us "explore" - and I did some snooping on the Net. I was wondering three things:

1. Is it possible to get a good mark on the IA - 18 -20?

2. What do you have to do to increase your marks?

3. Where do most people lose their marks?

thanks!

Edited by heronumbazero

I recently got my IA topic - my teacher assigns them instead of letting us "explore" - and I did some snooping on the Net. I was wondering three things:

1. Is it possible to get a good mark on the IA - 18 -20?

2. What do you have to do to increase your marks?

3. Where do most people lose their marks?

thanks!

1. Well, according to my teacher, everyone except 2 got 7s last year (but they were about 10 ppl I think) and well it is fully possible to get high marks. However I think that you only need 15 or so to get a 7.

2. Just be sure that you know the assesment critera, and what you need to include. And also that you have a good and interesting research question which is possibe to discuss from different perspectives. A good thing is to have sources of different time and nations.

3. According to my history teacher, it is in the "analysis" part.

Hope that helped. :punish: