Writing a good Historical Investigation

Survival Robot

As for my question, i'm pretty deadset on doing my AI on ancient history and I thought of doing a comparison on ancient and modern democracy. Problem is somewhere I read that the historical investigation should be based on something from at least ten years ago. Does this mean my idea isn't valid?

Yeah, your question becomes invalid if it's less than 10 years old. 

You could pick an older democracy to compare it to. 

Edited by IB_taking_over

Hi,

I'm about to start working on my IA in history HL.

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for it.

thank you! :D

You need to pick something you are genuinely interested in, theoretically you can do it on anything from anytime but it's recommended that you work on something related to the syllabus. I can't be more detailed because your options are literally infinite.

As for my question, i'm pretty deadset on doing my AI on ancient history and I thought of doing a comparison on ancient and modern democracy. Problem is somewhere I read that the historical investigation should be based on something from at least ten years ago. Does this mean my idea isn't valid?

It has to be at least 10 years or older. Personally, I don't think a comparison IA would be a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

King112

Right ,guess I had to change it anyways thank you. What about an investigation of what contributed to the end of Democracy in Greece?

Well, it seems to broad. Maybe you could focus on one particular aspect, like I don't know, Economic crisis or something? Then the question could be like "To what extent did factor x cause the collapse of democracy?"

I think that would be better, because currently your RQ is too broad to be answered in 2000 words.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

King112

• 1 month later...

Hi

I want to know if I can use two different books to be sources for my AI in History. They are only preliminary sources and I need to find some more but for know it is okay if I used two books?? 

Yes, you can use more than one book. Honestly I would be concerned if someone wrote an IA with only two books (I used around 10 in mine, plus some articles).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi so my question is about the analysis, apparently it's one part that many people get wrong. What I'd done was concider the facts in my summery of evidence and explained its relevance to my question, I tried to reason why and how it could answer the question. My teacher looked at it and said what I wrote was a narrative and I should do a comparitive between contradicting points of views. Yeah so I'm really confused i'd really appreciate help or suggestions.

My title/question is something like to what extent did the intellectual revolution lead to the formation of the first democracy in Athens?

• Like 1

So, lets see if I can answer your question:

Part B (summary of evidence) is exactly what is sounds like, a organized list of ever fact your are going to play with later.

Part D is where you put the facts to work in answering your question. In order to be analytical, you must explain how the fact prove your point. Show how the revolution gave way to democracy.

• Like 1

Thank you that makes sense. Out of curiosity has anyone heard about comparing and contrasting historian views in the analysis? Like as one of those unwritten rules in IB I'm a bit scared that if I ignore my teachers advice that I'd end up paying for it later.

Most of the sources in my investigation come from a website calle Questia School. It is an open library with thousands of sources that you could use, both primary and secondary. The sources include encyclopedia, articles, journals and etc.. The subscription costs about $99 dollars per year but it is really really worth the price as you can use it for possibly everything. Additionally, it has an option for auto citation depending on the type of citation you like to use (MLA,APA, Harvard and others).

Thank you that makes sense. Out of curiosity has anyone heard about comparing and contrasting historian views in the analysis? Like as one of those unwritten rules in IB I'm a bit scared that if I ignore my teachers advice that I'd end up paying for it later.

Yeah, historiography (historians analysis) is often encouraged as a way to make your argument stronger. It was relevant in my IA (Pipes and Fitzpatrick) so I used it. I am not super familiar with democracy in Athens, so I am sure where to direct you. But if you can find historians with varying opinions you might consider adding them to your argument in part D.

I don't believe it is unwritten rule or anything, but it looks nice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, historiography (historians analysis) is often encouraged as a way to make your argument stronger. It was relevant in my IA (Pipes and Fitzpatrick) so I used it. I am not super familiar with democracy in Athens, so I am sure where to direct you. But if you can find historians with varying opinions you might consider adding them to your argument in part D.

I don't believe it is unwritten rule or anything, but it looks nice. 

I think historiography is only necessary if it's relevant to your topic; like I did a "is character x i book y similar to person z", where you really can't use it. And also keep in mind that IAs are graded internally and unless your work is chosen as one that will be sent away, your teacher is the one that grades it. So my strategy with IAs is to make them as good as possible and implement changes that the teacher suggests even if I'm not 100% on board with them; whereas for the exams I would stick to the IB criteria as much as possible.

• Like 1

Can someone plisss explain me how to make the analysis part I feel lost 

Part D :Basically you take the facts in Part B and analysis them with respect to your question. This is the part where you opinion comes into play, what do you think the facts, Part B, mean?

From my schools old IA guide:

Section D : Analysis (500-650 words)
The analysis should include:
      • the importance of the investigation in its historical context
      • analysis of the evidence listed in B
      • if appropriate, different interpretations.
* In this section the elements of the investigation identified in section B will be broken down into key issues/points. Consideration of historical context can add weight and perspective to the study. 
* Where appropriate (depending on the scope of the investigation) links can be made with associated events and developments to aid understanding of the historical importance of the chosen investigation.
* Two sources from C must be utilized here

Hope this help, IB_taking_over 

If you have more questions, feel free to message me on here

• 3 weeks later...

I'm writing my IA now and for now, my research question is something like: How did the portrayal of heroes and villains in comic books contribute to US propaganda during WWII? 

I'm only going to look at Superman and Captain America to narrow it down further, although I'm not sure whether to put that in the research question or if it's enough to clarify that in section A. 

What do you guys think of the research question and where I ought to mention the specifics of which comics I will look at? Is it even a good area of investigation? While I have some sources and ideas, how do I go about? 

Edited by cabarton

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2016 at 7:31 PM, cabarton said:

I'm writing my IA now and for now, my research question is something like: How did the portrayal of heroes and villains in comic books contribute to US propaganda during WWII? 

I'm only going to look at Superman and Captain America to narrow it down further, although I'm not sure whether to put that in the research question or if it's enough to clarify that in section A. 

What do you guys think of the research question and where I ought to mention the specifics of which comics I will look at? Is it even a good area of investigation? While I have some sources and ideas, how do I go about? 

Have you talked with your history teacher about this topic? I must admit that, although it is rooted in some historical events (the Second World War), this seems to be more of a literary examination to me. How are you going to frame this in a way that makes it historically significant? 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm currently writing my historical investigation and want to clarify a few things. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Firstly, my research question is: "To what extent did the crossing of the 38th parallel by MacArthur’s troops contribute to the political impasse between the United States and communist North Korea?" 

I've been looking at exemplar investigations and I seem to find that the structure is a bit different, I thought maybe the requirements have changed over time.

According to a workbook provided by my teacher, there are only 3 sections to the HI:

1. Identification and Evaluation of Sources

2. Investigation (Analysis)

3. Reflection

Of course, there is still the bibliography included at the end, which is not included in the word count if I am correct. Can anyone confirm whether or not footnotes and titles/subtitles are also included in the word count? Thanks.

7 hours ago, LeXerPrime said:

Hi everyone, I'm currently writing my historical investigation and want to clarify a few things. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Firstly, my research question is: "To what extent did the crossing of the 38th parallel by MacArthur’s troops contribute to the political impasse between the United States and communist North Korea?" 

I've been looking at exemplar investigations and I seem to find that the structure is a bit different, I thought maybe the requirements have changed over time.

According to a workbook provided by my teacher, there are only 3 sections to the HI:

3. Reflection

Of course, there is still the bibliography included at the end, which is not included in the word count if I am correct. Can anyone confirm whether or not footnotes and titles/subtitles are also included in the word count? Thanks.

Footnotes, titles, subtitles, appendices, endnotes, bibliography, etc are outside the word count. Only the content is within the word count.

The syllabus changed for the May 2017 candidates and further, so yes, you have only 3 sections, whereas previously there were 5 (summary of evidence and analysis are now 'investigation' and plan of investigation and evaluation of sources have been put together too. Note that other things also changed in the syllabus and you can't rely on old guides anymore, always check! I don't have time to find it, but there's a topic in this forum that outlines the changes.

I think your RQ is good, but I have no idea what the content is since I've only done European history, so I'm not the best judge.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, LeXerPrime said:

3. Reflection

10 hours ago, ellie said:

Footnotes, titles, subtitles, appendices, endnotes, bibliography, etc are outside the word count. Only the content is within the word count.

The syllabus changed for the May 2017 candidates and further, so yes, you have only 3 sections, whereas previously there were 5 (summary of evidence and analysis are now 'investigation' and plan of investigation and evaluation of sources have been put together too. Note that other things also changed in the syllabus and you can't rely on old guides anymore, always check! I don't have time to find it, but there's a topic in this forum that outlines the changes.

I think your RQ is good, but I have no idea what the content is since I've only done European history, so I'm not the best judge.

Good luck!

Subtitles (titles you create) are included in the word count. Everything else mentioned above does not count.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I need help on my research question. Topic: Cuban Missle Crisis- Attempted questions below, any that you see which you think would be good?

• To what extent did the U2 plane incident have an effect on the result of the Cuban missile crisis?

• What was the significance of the media in determining the result of the Cuban missile crisis?

• Was the Cuban missile crisis more motivated due to the political challenges or military?

• How effective was the quarantine on Cuban during the Cuban missile crisis?

• Assess the motivation/influencing factors behind (Khrushchev, JFK, Cuba) during the negotiations of the Cuban missile crisis?