Do you know anyone that's taking/going to be taking 6 HLs?

king2010

I'm actually pretty sure that the IBO doesn't allow students to register for more than four HL courses/exams. I tried to be registered for five, but wasn't allowed. Do make sure your friend knows about this and makes sure that things are going to work out?

And anyway, I don't think it's a very good idea. People may be intelligent, but they're still human. In order to get good grades in the end, you can't be spending 240*6 hours in class over a two-year period PLUS do all the required homework for the courses PLUS complete CAS, ToK and the EE. It's insane to think that you're going to make it! (Been there, done that: I took three languages at HL plus Chemistry and History. It certainly didn't make me happy! It's only after dropping two of those to SL that I've been able to feel really good at anything, rather than just being shattered.)

He knows he's not getting credit for all 6 courses but he's taking Chem HL while taking the SL exam. It's still insane though.

Not so much, my school is kind of weird so I have to take all those courses at HL, except for Math. It´s hard but I guess your friend is a genius or something.

By the way, I´m also taking chemistry in HL but going for the SL exam.

Edited by Zeph

Hm, I guess this way you'll get more practice. The problem, however, is that Chemistry SL is insanely easy compared to Chemistry HL, you learn so much more to the extent that I think you will be confused as to what to revise for the SL exam, having gone much more in depth. And I have no idea how the predicted grades will be calculated.

Mostly people do benefit taking subjects at HL and then doing the SL exam, but mostly the effort is too large and mostly unnecessary in my opinion. However, should you like to kill yourself, you're better to take HLs in the conceptual subjects such as Maths or Physics where the extra hours and work will prepare you much better for the exams when you come down to SL level.

You can take the 6 HL's no worries. IB has no restrictions, just guidelines.

I have a friend who is taking 5 HL, well online pal, and he is doing fine.

You can take any combination of courses you'd like for IB. There are no restrictions people.

However, I personally feel like having a 4.0 is not enough to take all 6 subjects. I think people should have a 95% in class or higher for their classes in order ot take them at HL. especially if u have 6 you'd like to take.

If your friend is sitting on straight 4's and is going to try and take 6 HL's (which I agree with the others: the IBO won't let you do) he has to re-evaluate what he is doing. A 4 is boarderline number, so if they're going to step it up to HL they had better work a lot harder: especially in the Group 4 subjects.

Like I have been saying all along, more HL's might look good, but if you don't pass them well they won't help and iwll stress you out more. As well as causing less time to be available for things like EE and TOK. You have to balance yourself...oveloading because it looks good on applications is stupid.

Our school doesn't grade on the 1-7 scale, it's on an American A-F/0-100 scale. The kid's an absolute genius and devotes virtually all of his time to studying, and although I suggested he dips down to SL for a class it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for him.

A genius does not devote all of his time to studying. A genius is intelligent enough to leave space for some free time. Also, IB grades on the 1-7 scale, and that is how he will be evaluated in the end.

You can take the 6 HL's no worries. IB has no restrictions, just guidelines.

I have a friend who is taking 5 HL, well online pal, and he is doing fine.

You can take any combination of courses you'd like for IB. There are no restrictions people.

However, I personally feel like having a 4.0 is not enough to take all 6 subjects. I think people should have a 95% in class or higher for their classes in order ot take them at HL. especially if u have 6 you'd like to take.

There are no restrictions for IB certificates but for the diploma you have to have two languages, math and all that stuff. IB actually has lots of restrictions regarding diploma candidates when you come to think of it.

Very true. I was mainly referring to individual restrictions which the school sets. I had to literary go to the office everyday to get both of my HL sciences. Another thing, my school has restrictions on scheduling with HL math. They wont (try) to keep students from taking a core science + math at HL. Which I think is completely stupid. None of these restrictions are written in the IB guide, or exist out of my school.

If your friend is sitting on straight 4's and is going to try and take 6 HL's (which I agree with the others: the IBO won't let you do) he has to re-evaluate what he is doing. A 4 is boarderline number, so if they're going to step it up to HL they had better work a lot harder: especially in the Group 4 subjects.

Like I have been saying all along, more HL's might look good, but if you don't pass them well they won't help and iwll stress you out more. As well as causing less time to be available for things like EE and TOK. You have to balance yourself...oveloading because it looks good on applications is stupid.

By 4.0 he means the GPA scale not the IB scale :)

And a 4.0 is the highest you can get on that scale.

I did 4 HL subjects and I REALLY didn't find it that much of a hassle... but I'm not sure you can take 6 HL courses unless its all certificates?

... I thought this was impossible. At my school, the most HL classes you can take is four, and even then you have to get recommended by teachers, friends, and your parents for it. I thought the IB diploma was killing everyone enough already with just 3 HL classes... I absolutely cannot imagine taking six, or anyone taking that number. So no, I don't know anyone who takes 6 HLs. There are only four people in my grade taking four HL classes, too...

I'm not sure, but up to five HLs will be still ok, but really... Wow! He must have then something like 32 hours per week without any break in between and all the homeworks.... But I don't think either that they will all write higher level exams, some have to be SL. Else, it doesn't fit in the schedule.

Our school doesn't grade on the 1-7 scale, it's on an American A-F/0-100 scale. The kid's an absolute genius and devotes virtually all of his time to studying, and although I suggested he dips down to SL for a class it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for him.

Hmmm.... How does the american system work by the way? I can't really imagine that... (I mean a '7' is normally above 80%, but if it says 80 out of 100, it sounds a lot worse than a '7')

Hmmm.... How does the american system work by the way? I can't really imagine that... (I mean a '7' is normally above 80%, but if it says 80 out of 100, it sounds a lot worse than a '7')

But that's according to the IB system. The American system is much easier than the IB, as I've seen so far, so I'm guessing a 7 in IB is above 90% in an American education system.