Peking University

KiwiFruit

Da jia hao, Hello,

Im Andrew and I live in New Zealand, I'm 17 years old and have been learning chinese since i was 9. I dont have any chinese family, never lived in China...just lots of classes and tutoring.

I was wondering if any Chinese people particularly in Beijing could tell me is it hard to get into Peking University as an international student? What kind of IB grade would they be looking for?

Xiexie, :D Thanks,

Andrew

I'm not Chinese or living in China, but I looked this up on the net. Check the information yourself if you want.

Websites: http://www.oir.pku.edu.cn/oirEn/FAQ1.asp

http://www.oir.pku.edu.cn/newoir/stuab/doc...9/en/2009EN.pdf

Admission will be determined according to the applicants’ educational background, the results of the Entrance

examinations and the interview. The admission result will be available in the end of May 2009 at www.oir.pku.edu.

cn. The ' Letter of Admission' and the attached documents can be obtained by the end of June. The applicants who pass the written tests are required to attend an interview. Date and venue will be informed after the written tests.

I'm not sure if all applicants need to take an entrance exam. There is a list of all the documents that you need to send when you apply on the site. I couldn't find information about required grades.

You don't have to take a Chinese proficiency exam at undergraduate level.

When to Apply: March 2 to March 6, 2009.

Applicants must come in person to Peking University to submit their application materials, or entrust someone else to submit the materials on their behalf. At present, mailed materials are not accepted."

So...get ready for a trip to China :D

The above post explains everything... but if you're looking for some personal advice, heres mine.

Bejing University is among the best in the whole of China (equivalent of Harvard or Oxford). For the Chinese, it is terribly hard to get in. The competition for the best uni among millions of people is considerable. But for an international student, it couldn't be easier. China's looking to connect with the world so they'd want as much international students as they can get. This applies to all the best universities in China, including Qing Hua, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Fudan or Tongji. This is as long as you can get relatively good points in the IB, i'd say 32+ and show enthusiasm for the Chinese culture and language.

Good luck!

I know it is much easier for foreign students to get in to Peking university than for local Chinese people. so it'll be pretty easy to get into the university if you are well prepared. And I bet you're pretty fluent in Chinese since i have learnt it from 9, but it'll be still hard to understand lectures and study in Chinese since Chinese characters are so complicated. (but I think I heard there are seperate programs only for foreign students. )

I haven't lived in mainland China before but I grew up in Hong Kong and from what I heard from the people around me, it is very difficult to get into Peking University. Supposedly it is because China has a huge population and there simply aren't enough spaces in good universities for everyone. But things might be a bit different for international students because I guess universities are always looking for a mix when it comes to the background of its students.

Good luck!=)

• 4 weeks later...

Applying to Peking University as a native Chinese student living in mainland China is EXTREMELY difficult. You wouldn't even imagine how fierce the competition is. It is like THE university every student aims for.

But it will be really easy for someone like you to get in. In addition to what Forester said, they also want to show "global interactions" and "multi-culturalism". =.=

I think a pretty average IB grade would be sufficient (29 -ish) Make sure you get that 7 for Chinese B :ashika::D

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...