What was your IOP topic?

dexter

Mine was Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys interview with main character ( Antoinette Cosway)

Wow, finally found someone who's reading this book for IB!

I did mine on this too, I presented about the significance of the book's title. What other titles did Jean Rhys consider using, how the mythical character of the Sargasso Sea reflects the tones of mysticism in the novel, how the vastness of the Sargasso Sea is symbolic of Antoinette's isolation from England, etc. I got a pretty good mark, and it was interesting to talk about.

I did an oral commentary on an excerpt from Michael Ondaatje's "In the Skin of a Lion" and related it to the book, and its themes. I finished off quite Stalin's quote: "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic" which fit perfectly into my ending as I finished talking about the value of life within the novel. <3

• Like 1

I've read the stranger by albert camus, the awakening, and the scarlet letter so far and idk how to do my iop or what topic to do. I have no clue how I'm goint to talk for 15 minutes on books I barely know, and I have this bad feeling that I'm gonna fail; I'm more of a math and sciences kind of guy :-) so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I've read the stranger by albert camus, the awakening, and the scarlet letter so far and idk how to do my iop or what topic to do. I have no clue how I'm goint to talk for 15 minutes on books I barely know, and I have this bad feeling that I'm gonna fail; I'm more of a math and sciences kind of guy :-) so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

How can you say that you barely know the books if you've read them?

Pick the one you liked the most/found most interesting and try to find some aspect of it that interested you.

I'm doing the effects of Confucianistic beliefs and ideals on the characters and events based on the book The Woman Warrior: A Memoir of a Childhood Among Ghosts by Maxine Hong Kingston.

I could've chosen the representation of ghosts in the story but someone else is doing that already...

I did mine on Thursday. It was a comparative commentary on two short stories by Alice Munro, "Meneseteung" and "Hold Me Fast, Don't Let Me Pass." I discussed how unreliable narrative perspectives forward the ambiguity of truth. What was really handy was that our teacher let us double up assignments; basically, we had to submit a comparative essay on two stories for our class (not an IB essay, obviously, just course work) so everyone just used the content of their essays for their presentations. It really helped to have written my argument before hand, especially in structuring my presentation.

I did 'The Tree Sisters' By Anton Chekhov. I spoke about how the death of Tuzenbach was necessary to the purpose of the play (That being a representation of the futility and hopelessness of Russia). I pretended to be Chekhov, complete with VERY POOR Russian accent.

Mine was on the use of oral traditions in Things Fall Apart by Chinuah Achebe. Talked alot about the literary features, but I lacked structure (did it as a presentation with the help of MS Powerpoint).

Now I need to find a topic for another IOP...for Blindness, by Jose Saramago...planning to do something about how Saramago uses The Doctor's Wife as a tool to express his philosophy...not sure if that'll be good though...want to make something different from a presentation, maybe an interview or monologue, who knows.