What was your IOP topic?

dexter

We're reading the Scarlet Letter/Ethan Frome/the awakening... they all have adultery as a common theme but i don't know what I'm going to do mine about... maybe how the authors condone adultery through their use of literary devices? but it would be interesting to analyze the use of the ocean as a symbol in the awakening... any suggestions?

How did it go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I chose the novels Brave New World and Heart of Darkness by Huxley and Conrad respectively, explaining how they made use of descriptive passages and atmosphere to strengthen the emotional impact of their respective scenes and build on the theme of the work. I ended up rushing it and decided it wasn't worth the risk of losing points to go beyond my comfort zone. Presented it as a bog-standard seminar with some pictures.

I received 28 points, docked because I was too verbose (could've stuck with just HOD, to be honest). It was decent, but I should've done more earlier so I could cut things out.

• 1 month later...

We studied selected short stories by Flannery O'Connor, and I chose to examine "How do the two main settings of New York City, New York and Corinth, Georgia affect the overall meaning of Flannery O'Connor's "Judgment Day"?

Our teacher refused to tell us our specific marks on our project, but she really liked mine (it helped that I could recite my quotes from memory without even looking :king: )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did Stephen King's The Shining and compared Jack's use of an axe in Kubrick's 1980 film adaptation versus a mallet in the novel. It sounds like such a bs topic, I know, but I managed to talk a lot about it and my teacher liked my presentation >_>

• 4 weeks later...

The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. I focused on aspects of narration.

What appears at first sight straightforward, flat (even dull) recounting of events by Offred turns out to be rather more. The challenge, I thought, was to try to make something out of "nothing." Far from it.

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...