What was your IOP topic?

dexter

I did mine on the role of father figures in The Killing Jar, Oedipus Rex, and The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner. Also did a practise one, anlyzing how writers use drugs in literature, much more fun, but was told it wasn't focused enough to carry on with.

:)

mine was on the irony of intentional meaninglessness in Tom Stoppard's The Real Inspector Hound. Surely it's every IB students dream to tell their english teacher that most of the analysis we do is superficial crap... and I even did well for it!

• 2 weeks later...

My IOP was basically on how the intercalary chapters in The Grapes of Wrath worsen the book. Sounds a bit opinionated, I know, but I got a very good grade on it, so I'm happy.

Awr but I love those chapters! Social commentary XD Steinbeck has such a beautiful way of writing he could say more or less anything and I'd love it though, ahah. What about them do you think worsened the novel, out of curiosity? :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

mine was an analysis of the poem called 'Silver Lining' written by Carol Ann Duffy for the eruption of the Icelandic volcano (the famous Eyjafjallajoekull)!. i found rather interesting the rapid response of the poet to what is actually going on and troubles millions of people. in my opinion, the poem gave indeed a (rudimentary but still) solution to the problem. if you'd like to listen to the poet reciting her work, http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8629000/8629103.stm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My IOP topic focused on the concept of "Mother is Supreme" in the Patrilineal Society of Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. . It basically examined this paradox within the novel. It ended up being a presentation on the significance of women as the "forgotten side" of society. It was a tonne of fun, and I ended up getting a 7. :P

Hey I am working on similar lines. My teacher said we cannot just quote events from the book, there has to be an analysis through literary features. I was wondering what did you work on. Did you see symbolism or theme of 'mother of supreme'? Please help!!!

Edited by Nikephoros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...