What was your IOP topic?

dexter

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did my IOP on "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" from Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald and my topic was Bernice's character development. I first introduced the characters I will be focusing on: Bernice and Marjorie, and a little contextual informational of the Jazz Age. I think it is necessary to link how people around Fitzgerald, especially his wife Zelda, influenced his charcaterisation of Bernice and Marjorie. I created a "Burn Book" which 'Bernice' created as to show the presentations of women in BBHH, which also shows Bernice's change since what happened in the story. I ended my IOP with a roleplay where I create a scene that is to happen one year after the plot, where Bernice has become someone like Marjorie despite her criticisms towards Marjorie.

After your presentation, you should aim to explain why you chose to do what you did (in my case, I had to explain why I chose to do a roleplay and present Bernice as someone like Marjorie). I had to re-do mine because I placed too much focus on the roleplay originally, and had to incorporate more of a presentation with contextual information and analysis of characters.

I bet I can top all bad topics with this mistake of a project. While a substitute teacher went around to the assembled groups for The Assault IOP, my group mates were talking away and did not see the urgency to find a suitable topic. So consequently I chose the first topic that popped into my head. Transportation technology in The Assault. What a mistake this was, the night before the presentation was due was the most cramming I had ever done in my short IB career. All of the information that we had accumulated was just bs on wheels, literally. We ended up with a decent grade on the project despite my stupidity, probably because my teacher felt bad for how stupid I had been that day.

I talked about how Kathy H in Never Let Me Go and Jean Dominique Bauby in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly both rely on survival through memory to get through their lives.  I rather enjoyed doing the presentation, and tbh I was surprised I used TDBATB in the end because I didn't like reading it much at all :P Went a bit overtime though...

• 2 weeks later...

I talked about how Kathy H in Never Let Me Go and Jean Dominique Bauby in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly both rely on survival through memory to get through their lives.  I rather enjoyed doing the presentation, and tbh I was surprised I used TDBATB in the end because I didn't like reading it much at all :P Went a bit overtime though...

How did you like Never Let me Go? Didn't use it for my IOP but I did read it earlier in the year... I really enjoyed it. In an interview with NPR Ishiguro says, "The fact is, yes we will all fade away and die, but people can find the energy to create little pockets of happiness while we’re here" in reference to NLMG. Don't really know if this is significant to you, but I thought it was so profound and apparent that his purpose for creating the novel was not to comment on cloning and biotechnology, but to comment on what humanity really entails. 

• 2 weeks later...

How did you like Never Let me Go? Didn't use it for my IOP but I did read it earlier in the year... I really enjoyed it. In an interview with NPR Ishiguro says, "The fact is, yes we will all fade away and die, but people can find the energy to create little pockets of happiness while we’re here" in reference to NLMG. Don't really know if this is significant to you, but I thought it was so profound and apparent that his purpose for creating the novel was not to comment on cloning and biotechnology, but to comment on what humanity really entails. 

Yeah! I loved Never Let Me Go. My brother did IB before me, and he must have read it in English as well. I read it after he brought it home, so I actually read it twice. It's one of my favourite books, honestly. It's weird cause lots of people in my class didn't even finish it, and said they didn't like the writing style.

That's a great quote! I think the fact that it's more of a comment on human nature, not on science and ethics, makes it a more powerful read.

• Like 1

Yeah! I loved Never Let Me Go. My brother did IB before me, and he must have read it in English as well. I read it after he brought it home, so I actually read it twice. It's one of my favourite books, honestly. It's weird cause lots of people in my class didn't even finish it, and said they didn't like the writing style.

That's a great quote! I think the fact that it's more of a comment on human nature, not on science and ethics, makes it a more powerful read.

So, so, SO agree

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did my IOP on The Poisonwood Bible. I talked about the theme of vision and blindness; specifically, I argued that since we are blind to Nathan's perspective of the whole story, we cannot justify any hatred or dislike towards him. I wrote a chapter from Nathan's perspective, and I showed that he realizes his blindness at the end. I got a 30/30 on it :) 

• 5 weeks later...