What was your IOP topic?

dexter

I worked mine on the theme of "Justifiable Cruelty of American Suburbia" from T.C. Boyle's two short stories, the Chicxulub and the Thirteen Hundred Rats. I created a dialogue between two characters of the stories.

It was fun, but tormenting. Not always reccomended.

Edited by Cat_Person

To what extent do the poems "Talking In Bed" and "An Arundel Tomb" by Philip Larkin display his pessimism? It was something I was genuinely interested in, so it made the IOP process more "fun". Funny to think it's been a whole year since I did my IOP...how time flies.  :)

Edited by apoorva97

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did how Frankenstein's classical and romantic elements influence the inevitability of the ending (that's a mouthful to say).  A couple of things that really helped was writing essays and notes in class, and also reading other peoples' essays and theses on a variety of topics (not your own, since in my case they don't exist) about the novel.  It really helps with getting a scholarly viewpoint of the book, but leaves you free to write entirely your own thesis.

Everyone has such interesting topics and ideas!

• 5 weeks later...

Mine was on the role of letters in Pride and Prejudice. I didn't have a question, more of a thesis "Jane Austen uses the element of written letters to further the plot and aid in the character revelation and development." It's not very original, but it was received very well and it was great to look into.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My IOP is in a week! I was thinking of doing it about the metaphysical, myths, and beliefs about the tiger in John Vaillant's non fiction book "The Tiger" and talk about how it characterizes the tiger. What do you think? Is that a good topic or should I go more in-depth about it?

We can also chose to talk about some short stories like "Do See their Meat from God", "Lend me your light", "The boat", amongst others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm currently doing it right now but I guess by typing it out makes it more real so...

I've chosen 2 speeches by Dr. King and am planning to explain the similarities between the two speeches and its effectiveness to the audience (with several interesting twists in the presentation as well)

On 11/24/2016 at 9:40 AM, novialong said:

I will be doing my IOP in the next two weeks, probably a theme or character in "The Importance of Being Earnest", a comedy play by Oscar Wilde. Has anyone done it before on the same play? any ideas? help

Funny that, two students in my HL1 class last year did their IOPs on that play. That was my original idea for an IOP, and I was going to focus mine on the character Nora and how she can help demonstrate the theme of appearance versus reality. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 0:46 PM, ThatOneDanny said:

Funny that, two students in my HL1 class last year did their IOPs on that play. That was my original idea for an IOP, and I was going to focus mine on the character Nora and how she can help demonstrate the theme of appearance versus reality. 

What a coincidence! I have decided to do mine on "relationship advice with Wilde", so I will have letters from people telling their own relationship problems and I will bring those letters and consult Oscar Wilde. His responses will mainly be quotes from the play. Do you remember how the two students structured their IOPs last year by any chance? thank you

• Like 1