Errors in the IB Chemistry Course Companion & Study Guide

Max

Hey!

Throughout the course I've been using the mentioned textbooks to study for tests and exams. However, I have encountered a few errors (I made sure they were by checking with my teacher and websites) and thought that we should compile a list to prevent ourselves from learning something that is incorrect or irrelevant.

IB Chemistry Course Companion by G. Neuss (blue cover)

Structure & Bonding:

- Pages 66-67: Resonance hybrids is misplaced as it is HL only; it should be in the HL part of Bonding and structure

Energetics:

- Page 102: The Born-Haber cycle diagram seems to be missing in some prints. Refer to this: Click me!

Option G

- Page 373, Figure 4: "The nucleophilic addition reaction of cyanide ions with ethanol" should read "The nucleophilic addition reaction of cyanide ions with ethanal"

IB Chemistry Study Guide by G. Neuss (green/blue cover)

Organic Chemistry:

- Page 64: Right box: Mechanism of Chlorination of Methane - In the propagation stage "H3C-H + Cl. --> H3C. + Cl." should read "H3C-H + Cl. --> H3C. + H-Cl"

- Page 66: Top box: Combustion - The general equation for an alcohol combusting completely in oxygen does not work for alcohols with more than two carbons.

- Page 66: Middle box: Oxidation of ethanol - The product of the initial oxidation of ethanol is named "ethanol". It should read "ethanal", as it is an aldehyde

For those who use the IBID Chemistry (3rd edition) textbook by John Green and Sadru Damji, an (official) list of errors can be downloaded here

Last update: April 17th

Feel free to point out any other errors - I'll make sure to add them to this list!

Edited by Max
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
In our edition of the blue covered Geoffrey Neuss, on p102 the Born-Haber cycle seems to be missing entirely.

Same with my edition...and many of the topics in the course companionn are word for word the same as found in the study guide (just bigger font)

Edited by master135

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Personally, I use the Chemistry Study Guide by G. Neuss and I find it immensely useful since it summarizes all the concepts concisely as a pose to the course companion which I find rather big. Both books are good for IB but I would personally recommend the study guide since it is better for review before the exam.

• 1 month later...

Talking about errors and Chemistry...After we finish each chapter our teacher usually gives us a huge worksheet that includes questions from past papers to which is attached the mark scheme. Two days ago we were solving a worksheet about bonding and structure and there was a multiple that had a wrong answer in the mark scheme!! I was shocked!!

I've come across 4 or 5 of them in past papers. Apparently every year on average they take out one question because it's either got two possible answers, is ambiguous, could be answered differently dependent on the language it's in (French, Spanish or English) orrrr just generally has a problem with it! Not infallible these people :)

All the teachers queue up to complain about problems with papers, you see. Nothing gets overlooked because teachers can be very, very persistent :P If you ever get access to a questionbank, you'll see there're usually notes for every question and sometimes these include possible problems with them. Who knew!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello I am a IB student who failed to aquire a IB diploma on my 2011 march exam..

I have achived all good grades except HL Chemistry.

I am willing to only just pass the Chemistry HL.

I know that lab reports are something like 24% of finall grade and I need at least 3 as passing grade (which is combination of lab reports grade and exam final grades).

Sooo,what if i get (4, or 5 or 6) on my Lab reports, what exams grade I need to get in order to pass? (pls do the math for me)