Throughout the course I've been using the mentioned textbooks to study for tests and exams. However, I have encountered a few errors (I made sure they were by checking with my teacher and websites) and thought that we should compile a list to prevent ourselves from learning something that is incorrect or irrelevant.
IB Chemistry Course Companion by G. Neuss (blue cover)
Structure & Bonding:
- Pages 66-67: Resonance hybrids is misplaced as it is HL only; it should be in the HL part of Bonding and structure
- Page 102: The Born-Haber cycle diagram seems to be missing in some prints. Refer to this: Click me!
- Page 373, Figure 4: "The nucleophilic addition reaction of cyanide ions with ethanol" should read "The nucleophilic addition reaction of cyanide ions with ethanal"
IB Chemistry Study Guide by G. Neuss (green/blue cover)
- Page 64: Right box: Mechanism of Chlorination of Methane - In the propagation stage "H3C-H + Cl. --> H3C. + Cl." should read "H3C-H + Cl. --> H3C. + H-Cl"
- Page 66: Top box: Combustion - The general equation for an alcohol combusting completely in oxygen does not work for alcohols with more than two carbons.
- Page 66: Middle box: Oxidation of ethanol - The product of the initial oxidation of ethanol is named "ethanol". It should read "ethanal", as it is an aldehyde
For those who use the IBID Chemistry (3rd edition) textbook by John Green and Sadru Damji, an (official) list of errors can be downloaded here
Last update: April 17th
Feel free to point out any other errors - I'll make sure to add them to this list!
Edited by Max, Apr 17, 2009 - 19:20.