Arabs..muslims?

Mahuta ♥

i liked the idea of those of you who asked what everone thought of americans and australians...

so i thought i realy would like to know what you guys think about the arabs and muslims....say it honestly please....because we seem to feel that the world is taking this very mistakable impression on us...so...give me your opinions please:)...+ reason.....and i will answer if i have anything to reply..thanks

(i already gave my opinion on americans...but australians....i dont really know much about them to judge)

• Like 1

I will talk as a Muslim point of view. Actually, I am not very clear of the topic. Hope that you can elaborate more soon.

As for now, I just want to say about Muslim and the Arabic language. Actually, not all Muslims actually understand Arabic language well. Even me myself had problem in understanding the language. Since I am not from a middle east country, I didnt practice the language that much. But I do love Arabic and feel impress for those who can speak it well.

It doesn't mean that I do not know Arabic at all. During prayer, I will converse in Arabic but the understanding is not very in depth. ;) need to study more.

Well, I guess that I am not really answering your question at the moment. I'm just sharing my thought about Arabic and Muslim.

Is this post only about Arab Muslims? Because there's also Arab Christians out there, a lot here in Jerusalem and south of here in Bethlehem, but the world seems to think that all Arabs are Muslims. In Egypt there are Coptics, in Syria they have the Syrian Orthodox church and here there is the Greek Orthodox as well as the Armenian Christians (some of whom are part Arab).

And if you're trying to ask people whether or not they think Arab Muslims are terrorists, then I don't think the vast majority of them are. Every religion has its extremists; radical Jews assassinated Yitzhak Rabin after he signed the Oslo Peace Accords, there's some hard line evangelicals in America, and so on. Out of all my Arab friends here, only one girl supports the ideology of suicide bombers and she's from a small, conservative Arab village. My other Arab friends think they are mentally ill.

Of course all Arab Muslims aren't the same, because there's so much variation between North Africa, the Mediterranean Arabs and the Gulf states. Lebanon is a lot more liberal than most Arab countries because of the French influence there; they are the only Arab state to hold a national beauty pageant and compete in Miss Universe. Then you have Saudi Arabia, which is very religious. And the UAE, which is more Westernized than some countries but still upholds traditional Muslim values.

As for the Arabic language, there are so many different dialects and some of them are hilarious. I don't speak Arabic fluently or understand all of it, but even I know when people are speaking Classical Arabic (they call it fus'ha here) and it sounds funny to me since no one here speaks it. No offense to people that pray using it, I can recite the main prayer and it sounds fine then.

The only sad thing is that I can't travel to any Arab countries other than Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan now, since my passport has several Israeli visas in it. So if the other Arab states would like to recognize Israel as a country anytime soon, I would be really grateful ;) Especially Syria. I've heard wonderful stories about Damascus.

Edited by Vvi
  • Like 3

Is this post only about Arab Muslims? Because there's also Arab Christians out there, a lot here in Jerusalem and south of here in Bethlehem, but the world seems to think that all Arabs are Muslims. In Egypt there are Coptics, in Syria they have the Syrian Orthodox church and here there is the Greek Orthodox as well as the Armenian Christians (some of whom are part Arab).

And if you're trying to ask people whether or not they think Arab Muslims are terrorists, then I don't think the vast majority of them are. Every religion has its extremists; radical Jews assassinated Yitzhak Rabin after he signed the Oslo Peace Accords, there's some hard line evangelicals in America, and so on. Out of all my Arab friends here, only one girl supports the ideology of suicide bombers and she's from a small, conservative Arab village. My other Arab friends think they are mentally ill.

Of course all Arab Muslims aren't the same, because there's so much variation between North Africa, the Mediterranean Arabs and the Gulf states. Lebanon is a lot more liberal than most Arab countries because of the French influence there; they are the only Arab state to hold a national beauty pageant and compete in Miss Universe. Then you have Saudi Arabia, which is very religious. And the UAE, which is more Westernized than some countries but still upholds traditional Muslim values.

As for the Arabic language, there are so many different dialects and some of them are hilarious. I don't speak Arabic fluently or understand all of it, but even I know when people are speaking Classical Arabic (they call it fus'ha here) and it sounds funny to me since no one here speaks it. No offense to people that pray using it, I can recite the main prayer and it sounds fine then.

The only sad thing is that I can't travel to any Arab countries other than Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan now, since my passport has several Israeli visas in it. So if the other Arab states would like to recognize Israel as a country anytime soon, I would be really grateful :D Especially Syria. I've heard wonderful stories about Damascus.

yes true, good point well i think im talking more about the arab muslims and muslims; especially arab muslims,

and to be honest with you, i do get your point and in some way support you about wanting to travel to other places..

anyhow, yeah arabic language is nice but hard, like people find trouble learning it...

about the terrorist thing, thats what im specifically asking about because we seem to be seen as terrorist just because a minority are causing some trouble here and there

I wonder, what the definition of "terrorist" is to the US i mean seeing what israel is doing now in ghaza(no offence...)...should the name be applied on them as well as the extremist?

and yeah, arabs differ from one region to another, north africans have alot of common things, including dialect, infact our dialect is almost not understandable by the other arabs, because we have loads of french in it. Then you have the top part of middle east(a'shaam)...which is syria, jordan, palestine, lebanon, iraq

and finally, The gulf countries..or what we call khaleejis...

i really think that every culture(wether muslims...christian...etc) have extremist...its just that the media is focusing too much on the muslims extremist..and make them see like they're identical to all muslims....for some reasons..i still dont get

but thanks for your reply:D

I will talk as a Muslim point of view. Actually, I am not very clear of the topic. Hope that you can elaborate more soon.

As for now, I just want to say about Muslim and the Arabic language. Actually, not all Muslims actually understand Arabic language well. Even me myself had problem in understanding the language. Since I am not from a middle east country, I didnt practice the language that much. But I do love Arabic and feel impress for those who can speak it well.

It doesn't mean that I do not know Arabic at all. During prayer, I will converse in Arabic but the understanding is not very in depth. :( need to study more.

Well, I guess that I am not really answering your question at the moment. I'm just sharing my thought about Arabic and Muslim.

yeah...i appreciate that:D...and since you're wondering about the qs...i meant like..

you know what the world sort of thinks when they first see an arab muslim with a beard...or a hijab.....they have this impression that we're terrorists..like....all of us:S...and i wanna know did any view change since 9/11?

so i wanted to know what members see us as...and yeah...i do mean non-arab muslim as well....

im asking this...because i lived in the US before..during and after 9/11.....and i saw the change in the attitude:)

thanks for passing by avrila...

Edited by Mahuta ♥

yeah...i appreciate that:D...and since you're wondering about the qs...i meant like..

you know what the world sort of thinks when they first see an arab muslim with a beard...or a hijab.....they have this impression that we're terrorists..like....all of us:S...and i wanna know did any view change since 9/11?

so i wanted to know what members see us as...and yeah...i do mean non-arab muslim as well....

im asking this...because i lived in the US before..during and after 9/11.....and i saw the change in the attitude:)

thanks for passing by avrila...

Owh. That was the case. Yes after the 9/11, I also heard many negative views about Islam. Because many people think that the incident was done by Muslim people. But there is no obvious prove about it. Even more, the media separate news that is bias and is not totally true. It creates confusion among people and makes them misunderstand about Islam.

After all, no one is perfect. It is not relevant to say bad thing about Islam just because one person did wrong.

Actually, when I do see a heavily bearded kandura wearing man, I do get a bit wary about them, especially if they act a bit shifty. I guess it's a change of perception after 9/11.

Then again, the same applies to all people who look shifty.

It all depends on appearances. Would you ever see a happy looking person as a terrorist about to bomb a plane? It's always the sombre, possibly worried, looking person that's to look out for.

Pre 9/11, we weren't aware of such security issues and problems. These days, with 9/11, 7/7, the Mumbai attacks, and the countless other terrorist related activities across the world, we have to look out for any potential trouble.

You guys should treat your women better. :D

lol...thanks for saying that..i was waiting for someone to say it...

again..believe it or not...this is misunderstood as-well...because talking interms of religion.....Islam says nothing about treating a woman the way they treat their wives...which explains why not ALL arabs treat their wives like that..its mostly in countries like KSA...and bahrain and stuff....where they totally mistake the things said in the quran about the man being reponsible for the woman as "we have to beat them up...we have to not allow them any freedom..etc...etc"

the thing is..im a muslim..im a tunisian...we dont have such things as treating the women badly...and i see it myself...and i see the HUGE difference between what certain people do to their wives and what's actually said about treaing the wives in the quran

and believe it or not..this is in some way a conflict within the arabs themselves...and its giving a very bad impression...just like im seeing now..on arabs and muslims...as as im concerned....our prophet does say..and did say until the last breath..to be gentle with women...and he said it three times...and he ensured along witht he prayer..showing its importance...im not offended or any thing mr.shiver....im just stating a fact...that "treating women better" should be directly said to SOME arab extremists..that take everything in the wrong way..and yes..in that case...i do agree 100%...but to have that idea about all arabs..is sort of...stereotyping...becasue im an arab...a muslim..and i dont see any of that "bad treatement" done to me..hence..im right here doing whatever i want..... or any other women in my family..and in fact in my country along with ALL the women i've ever met in my life...except for the KSA....

but as i said..thanks for replying:D..very much appreciated

Im kind of scared of them, especially when theyre on my plane, just because of the media, also on the media they are portrayed as wife beaters and the Haj is quite sad because so many people get trampled and killed..wheres the common decency in that?

yeah...well infortunatly.....its all about the media...

as i just said to mr.shiver...all what's being generalized about the way women are being treated in the arab and muslim world is stereotyping....and i explained why...

Haj...ok...there's a reason why haj is meant to be on those who are able to cope with it ONLY...not those who are barely walking...or those who are clusterphobic.....

but yeah...i see your point....although if you followed the news in the last HAJ.....things are getting wya better becasue of the facilities provided by the KSA government.....

you see...how i see it is that some people jsut take whats said in the quran in the totally wrong way...and in some cases they read half of the verse for example..then make a decision...like for example..when it says about HAJ..it says RIGHT after it..."only for those who are able"...able being...able financially...and physically......

but oh well...its all because of media...forcing the audience to adopt acertain opinion without showing the full story....typicale...everywhere...lol

and about being scared..i guess you have the right to be scared....since the media just forces you to be scared...but if you're like more concerned in a way because of the 9/11 incidents....i would personally re consider...because they're proving..the americans themselves...that maybe it wasnt really the arabs who did it.....and that probably the government has got something to do with it?

but anyhow...thats another topic... :D ....if you got anything else...please feel free to ask me:D...oh..and im a normal arab and muslim..just incase you're afraid of me or something:P;)

Actually, when I do see a heavily bearded kandura wearing man, I do get a bit wary about them, especially if they act a bit shifty. I guess it's a change of perception after 9/11.

Then again, the same applies to all people who look shifty.

it is definatly a change in perception....i mean you see...the sad thing is...the media actually got everyone to see the traditional clothes..to be seen as a sign that this person is most likely to be a terrorist.....and its sooo wrong....i mean men have been wearing the traditional dress in some areas for ages..and they never did anything like that..

people nowadays compare any guy they see to Osama bin Laden..and think.."oh...he must be like Bin laden"...and its like.."huh?!"

It all depends on appearances. Would you ever see a happy looking person as a terrorist about to bomb a plane? It's always the sombre, possibly worried, looking person that's to look out for.

yes i totalyl agree with this...which is why im saying its just not fair to limit this on arabs and muslims extremists only...and then generalize it so it become the only impression on all arabs and muslims.

Pre 9/11, we weren't aware of such security issues and problems. These days, with 9/11, 7/7, the Mumbai attacks, and the countless other terrorist related activities across the world, we have to look out for any potential trouble.

to some extent i do agree...and i am against those extremists doing such things...because it reflects what the islam says in the completely opposite way....for example..islam forbids killing innocent people..forbids killing kids..women...elderies...etc....just says..IF they attacked you...attack them back to the same extent they did if not less...in another words....if they shot someone innocent....dont go shooting someone innocent from them...whereas..if it was a thing between soldiers..then do it to the same extent....

but what THEY're doing now..and did..is like...the totaly opposite....this includes suicide-bombers....because..1st of all they're commiting suicide....which is forbidden...2nd of all...they're killing innocent people

so something i really want to pass over is that what these extremists are doing has got nothing to do with what islam says to do...but thanks Aboo:D

and something about terrorism...to be honest with you..if we look deeped into what the US army is doing in places like IRAQ and guantanamo...and from what israel is doing now..i would actually re consider my current image on terrorists being arabs....

Owh. That was the case. Yes after the 9/11, I also heard many negative views about Islam. Because many people think that the incident was done by Muslim people. But there is no obvious prove about it. Even more, the media separate news that is bias and is not totally true. It creates confusion among people and makes them misunderstand about Islam.

After all, no one is perfect. It is not relevant to say bad thing about Islam just because one person did wrong.

i didnt reply directly to what you said..but i reflected it in the three things i just posted:D...thanks

• Like 2

It's not just the wife-beating; pressuring women not to go out unaccompanied/without being completely veiled comes from an outdated tradition. If I'm not much mistaken, the veil used to be a sign of being part of the upper class. But now it's just plain misogynistic because if you aren't wearing it you're treated like scum. If you're out alone and you get raped, it's your fault for being out alone. That's the perception still present.

Plus there are all sorts of restrictions still in place against women that prevent them from being given anything close to equal opportunity in the workplace and elsewhere. For example, women in Saudi Arabia still aren't allowed to drive.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

it is definatly a change in perception....i mean you see...the sad thing is...the media actually got everyone to see the traditional clothes..to be seen as a sign that this person is most likely to be a terrorist.....and its sooo wrong....i mean men have been wearing the traditional dress in some areas for ages..and they never did anything like that..

people nowadays compare any guy they see to Osama bin Laden..and think.."oh...he must be like Bin laden"...and its like.."huh?!"

yes i totalyl agree with this...which is why im saying its just not fair to limit this on arabs and muslims extremists only...and then generalize it so it become the only impression on all arabs and muslims.

to some extent i do agree...and i am against those extremists doing such things...because it reflects what the islam says in the completely opposite way....for example..islam forbids killing innocent people..forbids killing kids..women...elderies...etc....just says..IF they attacked you...attack them back to the same extent they did if not less...in another words....if they shot someone innocent....dont go shooting someone innocent from them...whereas..if it was a thing between soldiers..then do it to the same extent....

but what THEY're doing now..and did..is like...the totaly opposite....this includes suicide-bombers....because..1st of all they're commiting suicide....which is forbidden...2nd of all...they're killing innocent people

so something i really want to pass over is that what these extremists are doing has got nothing to do with what islam says to do...but thanks Aboo:D

and something about terrorism...to be honest with you..if we look deeped into what the US army is doing in places like IRAQ and guantanamo...and from what israel is doing now..i would actually re consider my current image on terrorists being arabs....

I am Muslim, so yes I do know what the fundamentals of Islam are. Unfortunately, those who spread terror in the name of religion are not in the least doing it for the religion, they're doing it for the fame that they will get from doing such a thing. Honestly, their bigoted religious views have no reason to be present in the modern world.

And to add, I've lived in the UAE for 7 years, before and after 9/11. So I'm used to the kandura and the hijab, as well as the apparent oppression of women. Not to say that all Arab people do it, since to say that like Mr Shiver has done above, that would be generalisation. Modernism prevails in these regions, and the traditionalist Bedouin culture is fast dying out so female oppression is reducing by the day.

With your last point, yes it is somewhat right to call the US and Israel terrorists, but we wouldn't be any better than them. In the 21st century, with the media at such highs around the world, people are solely dependent on media to relay their points. While the Western world is developed and therefore freedom of speech, as well as media coverage is rife and prevalent everywhere, the Middle East does not have the luxury of portraying anything and everything that is newsworthy. Censorship is everywhere and that clouds the news that people get. While the west get their slightly biased news, the people in the Middle East only get what the government chooses to give out, and so we tend to believe that the West is in the bad more, than actually knowing the censored materials that never get released.

Furthermore, that is where Imams and religious freaks get their free reign to start terrorist movements, since they cannot really be censored (they're doing it in the name of 'religion') and, they are able to do it underground. There are frightful numbers of people who aren't actually aware of situations and choose to believe what the Mullah or the Imam says.

This is the breeding ground of terrorism, and the problem lies with the oppression of media, as well as the lack of infrastructure to relay the media, or the literacy levels to read print media.

Sorry that I've gone on for too long ^_^

And to add, I've lived in the UAE for 7 years, before and after 9/11. So I'm used to the kandura and the hijab, as well as the apparent oppression of women. Not to say that all Arab people do it, since to say that like Mr Shiver has done above, that would be generalisation. Modernism prevails in these regions, and the traditionalist Bedouin culture is fast dying out so female oppression is reducing by the day.

Were you referring to my initial remark or the more recent post I made? Because I never said that all Arab people do anything. I was just making some general observations regarding the climate surrounding the women. If I'm wrong about them on a very general level, let me know.

It's not just the wife-beating; pressuring women not to go out unaccompanied/without being completely veiled comes from an outdated tradition. If I'm not much mistaken, the veil used to be a sign of being part of the upper class. But now it's just plain misogynistic because if you aren't wearing it you're treated like scum.

if you mean the veil as the face cover...then no..islam says nothing about a woman having to wear it...im a muslim girl..i wear the scarf...but the veil was neve in my dictionary...neither was it in my mom's..although she did have to wear it when we lived in the KSA..but it was apain in the neck...

if you aren't wearing it you're treated like scum

yes..this is true...BUT ONLY...IN KSA....thats what im saying...some people take islam the wrong way...and a woman will not be treated like a scum..she will be treated just like ANY other woman ..but this is in the rest of that arab countries..

you know, Mr.shiver its just that the media always concentrates on the KSA...when its showing the absolute extreme and the faulse view on islam regultaions..

If you're out alone and you get raped, it's your fault for being out alone.

you're generalizing.....it all depends...like for example...if this lady went to college..she's not going to take her family with her is she? and lets say she got raped...will they blame her? No, they wont blame her....because she went out for a reason....

whereas they would blame a lady if she went out....at night..alone...to an empty place...like not malls or stuff...and she was wearing something that will definatly attract guys to her...including strong...STRONG perfume...and she got raped...then yes..they would blame her

so there are two sides for this statement...

pressuring women not to go out unaccompanied/without being completely veiled comes from an outdated tradition

although this is not absolutly true...because i know women that go unaccompanied...and they're allowed to...whether or not they're veiled....and this is in most of the countries...not KSA....

Plus there are all sorts of restrictions still in place against women that prevent them from being given anything close to equal opportunity in the workplace and elsewhere. For example, women in Saudi Arabia still aren't allowed to drive.

you see thats the another sad thing...because its just not true..where did you hear this from? i know that women in saudi arabia arent allowed to drive and arent given equal opportunities... but not everywhere else...like for example...im in Oman right now..a gulf coutry..that is taked to being like KSA....but its not...women are here given equal opportunities as men...and i mean...in almost everysingle thing.....in businesses? women do own businesses...and do get jobs like men do...infact..sometimes they get better jobs. Medical field? they're absolutly equal to men here. Law? they're as much female lawyers as men. professors? the same....

and interactions between the two genders is something taken to be normal...im in a mixed school...guys and girls interact and are given equal opportunities.

as i said...you're assuming that what happens in KSA reflects the rest of the arab world....have you been to any?

go to the UAE especially Dubai...go to Oman..go to north african countries...and tell me if you think women arent given freedom there.

i do understand that you're making these statements from media..im guessing...but its just not true...and as amuslim/arab girl..it really gets me..like for example...the media says all canadian men arent allowed to umm....travel around canada....how would you feel if you were someone that travels around freely..and yet..the world chooses to believe the media...?

Edited by mahuta
  • Like 1

Were you referring to my initial remark or the more recent post I made? Because I never said that all Arab people do anything. I was just making some general observations regarding the climate surrounding the women. If I'm wrong about them on a very general level, let me know.

Your initial comment:

You guys should treat your women better. ^_^

It was pretty general. 'You guys' is representing the entire Arab Muslim population, and AFAIK the veiled women, not going out chaperone-less, and not driving in Saudi Arabia is all just culture centric in the entire Arab world. Sure Saudi Arabia doesn't allow women to drive, but that's the Saudi Wahabi culture. Wearing the abaya is a matter of choice. Not all Lebanese Arab muslims do it, or Palestinians or Egyptians for that matter. Yes, the Iranians and Saudis are oppressors because it's state law to wear abayas or whatever.

I was just saying that you can't say that an entire ethnic group has backward thinking based on one country.

But yeah, the Saudis should learn something about how to treat women fairly and equally.

Furthermore, that is where Imams and religious freaks get their free reign to start terrorist movements, since they cannot really be censored (they're doing it in the name of 'religion') and, they are able to do it underground. There are frightful numbers of people who aren't actually aware of situations and choose to believe what the Mullah or the Imam says.

im not sure if you're an arab or no...but you're making the same mistake as Mr.shiver....you're giving this bad impression on the Imam.....in most countries...and im sure you know this....the Imam is just there for the prayers and to teach kids quran..in some cases....he's no way a person that would start terrorist movement..infact...if you hear them...they're calling to people not to do any of that thing..because after all you're most likely to kill innocent people...which is '7aram'....

But yeah, the Saudis should learn something about how to treat women fairly and equally.

i agree 100% ^_^ ..lol...because otherwise...they're going to get them to become worse and worse when they leave the KSA to spend the holdiays in london or paris..or the US...

they should stop trying to show they'er islamic strict vision as an islamic law that must be obeyed

thanks Aboo:D

im not sure if you're an arab or no...but you're making the same mistake as Mr.shiver....you're giving this bad impression on the Imam.....in most countries...and im sure you know this....the Imam is just there for the prayers and to teach kids quran..in some cases....he's no way a person that would start terrorist movement..infact...if you hear them...they're calling to people not to do any of that thing..because after all you're most likely to kill innocent people...which is '7aram'....

I'm sorry, I realise that. I'm not Arab. I did attend a sermon once in Pakistan, where the Imam was preaching hate against India. I just don't have good opinion of Imams since a lot of them seem to be preaching less Islam and more politicised Islam. This time, I'm not generalising.

The only sad thing is that I can't travel to any Arab countries other than Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan now, since my passport has several Israeli visas in it. So if the other Arab states would like to recognize Israel as a country anytime soon, I would be really grateful ^_^ Especially Syria. I've heard wonderful stories about Damascus.

Why not get a second passport for those countries? :) You can get a 1 year passport along with your 5/10 year passport. Though you wouldn't want yours to be granted by the Finnish embassy in Tel Aviv, at least back when I lived in Israel, Egyptians didn't accept them. In my case, the embassy gave me a new passport and said it was granted in Cyprus, where I've never actually been to :D .

To skip back to the topic, I'd say people at least here in Finland are generally a lot more Muslim friendly than what Muslims seem to think. For example, the largest newspaper is extremely pro-Palestinian, even to the extent that I think it sometimes loses its credibility do to such bias.

I'm sorry, I realise that. I'm not Arab. I did attend a sermon once in Pakistan, where the Imam was preaching hate against India. I just don't have good opinion of Imams since a lot of them seem to be preaching less Islam and more politicised Islam. This time, I'm not generalising.

lol..ok..make sense then...yes:D..personally..i've never seen an imam encouraging terrorist movements

but back to the main thing..so yeah...who ever passes on here....my point is...

whatever is seen as KSA culture...shouldnt be seen as the an islamic law whatsoever...

so i still want to hear other opinions..if there are any after all this:P..lol

To skip back to the topic, I'd say people at least here in Finland are generally a lot more Muslim friendly than what Muslims seem to think. For example, the largest newspaper is extremely pro-Palestinian, even to the extent that I think it sometimes loses its credibility do to such bias.

oh really? thats good....never really thought of that...well thats a good sign...at least a country doesnt really have that negative impression:D

thanks for passing by:D:D

Why not get a second passport for those countries? :D You can get a 1 year passport along with your 5/10 year passport. Though you wouldn't want yours to be granted by the Finnish embassy in Tel Aviv, at least back when I lived in Israel, Egyptians didn't accept them. In my case, the embassy gave me a new passport and said it was granted in Cyprus, where I've never actually been to ^_^ .

My dad has a 2nd passport. You need a special reason to get one though, his was that his work required him to go to Lebanon sometimes.

You know what I find interesting, hilarious and scary all at the same time? The fact that over 50% of the Arab population worldwide believe that 9/11 is a conspiracy theory, and that it was orchestrated by the US government. This number isn't pulled out of thin air, but once again I can't find the article online. There's also conspiracy theories out there that say Israel did it. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1531304,00.html

The problem with these theories isn't just that they are so widely believed. They shift the blame from the terrorists who committed the crime. And it makes the job of al-Qaeda recruiters a lot easier. When people believe the propaganda, when they don't filter out corrupt information, their grievances make them misinformed and ignorant. An easy target for extremist groups.

The thing is, it's not that hard to critique the news that is put in front of you. We are IB students, that's what TOK teaches you to do! The other day, I was watching Sky News and a news bulletin came on. It went something like this:

"Mass murdering tyrant Stalin was chosen by the Russian people as the 3rd greatest Russian of all time".

Short, concise and extremely prejudiced against Russia. Whoever owns Sky News is obviously not into objective reporting. How about "Ex-leader of Russia" or "Disputed figure Stalin" instead of mass murdering tyrant?

Same thing when you're watching the current footage of the bombing of Gaza. Pay attention to the wording of the reporters, and bias is evident. Words with strong negative connotations are often used. I'm sure there's news channels that also portray the situation the other way, but since I only get 2 English speaking news channels on my tv, Sky and Fox, I can't say much for this.

I try to pay attention to bias everytime I read newspapers. Middle Eastern news is often reported by people that have a personal bias.Even when I read Finnish news, I look for bias. I read BBC. I read al-Jazeera. I read Israeli news. And despite what people would have you believe, Israeli news is actually pretty objective. They use the words "settlement", "illegal outpost" and "extremist Jewish sects" freely. There are then comments by actual settlers who say that the Israeli reporters are liars, and that they are trying to incite the Israeli population against them. The newspapers are critical of the current government. They publish the reports about the Lebanon War, citing it as a bad idea, and they do features regularly on Arab cities and populations.

Case in hand: There was an article, as well as tv footage, of an Arab couple whose small daughter was rejected from a daycare center in the north of the country. The reason was that she was Arab. Now, if the news was biased,they wouldn't want this story circulated at all. They would deny it's existence. However, there was footage of the parents giving an interview. Watch it yourselves. The news is in English. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1050145.html

My point here is: people need to examine the **** that gets put under their noses. Don't believe everything your government tells you. You might think of biased news as something that belongs to Zimbabwe or North Korea, but it exists in your backyard.

Ok,Im a Arab Muslim born in USA,NEW YORK CITY so we nearly see it all, but now im living back in jordan i have seen many comments about women and Terrorist.

Women: Islam is actaully pro women having there independence, in Islam at the time of the propet Mohammad (pbuh) women werent allowed to be educated and own land and business,And Islam actalluy emphasized on women rights some of those rights are to be educated and to be included in a Will and to own land and there choice to get married or not. As for arab/muslim men abusing there wives, its not what Islam says, and its soo much less than the media portrays it to be AND even if its present its 100% unwanted! any person with half a brain dislikes that whether arabic,american anything!

Terrorists: I really dont know who caused the attack 9/11.but i do know one thing is that in ANY ANY ANY group of people you will find good and bad so what ims aying is IF IF its muslimes they are not acting as muslims, and as a muslim what do i have to do if and again IF the bombing was muslim people i am not connected to that whatsoever they have their own choices and they are portraying islam in the wrong way.

And giving sterotype are generalizing is wrongs since like i said previously there is not maybe no IS bad people everyone commuinty and that includes islam but they are not doing what islam teaches.

One more thing to say : i am blessed that i was able to live in both USA and Jordan and i am so thankful that i was able to come back to jordan where i can learn islam and see both sides of the story and make my own judgements based on what i have learned from both sides.

• Like 1