AFRICA...is calling...

Mahuta ♥

i got this idea from....Vvi

and its a very serious issue....i agree....

infact...my real TOK Presentation(not the mock one)...was about AIDS in africa....and i attached a copy of my presentation....just incase you want to take a look at it:)..i've done with my best friend...although our aim was to actually discuss the issue of african being ignored....we had to include some other stuff...

anyhow...

so yeah...about africa....i agree...it IS sad:(....because like...african is just like any other continent in the world...africans are proper human beings like anyone else...how come they're not treated the same way...?!

and what gets me more...is the HUGE AMOUNTS of money spent on warfare...that could have been used to rescue millions of africans from starvation...malaria....AIDS...etc...

i mean...take a look at the numbers in the Presentation...they're insane!! like...5 die every minute...from AIDS only....where's the world?! i mean..you have poeple dying from starvation...others from warfare...some from diseases....YET..we're not able to help any of them....

how come malaria is treated all over the world...except for africa??

how come HIV +ve people all over the world get drugs to calm the HIV down...except in africa??

how come ...like Vvi said...people are rescued everyday from famine...except for africa?? where one person dies every 9 seconds?!

what is the human rights associations doing?? just blabbing while millions die every year??

what do you guys think of this? please...i want to know your thoughts on this...

when_you_re_gone__instrumental_.mp3

howie_day___stop_all_the_world_now___collide.mp3

Edited by Aboo
Attachment removed - Aboo

Removed your presentation in risk of plagiarism by other members :D

"yes sir":D:P...lol....although i dont see why anyone would need to copy a presentation...but i guess you know better...okay:D...no problem....lol why didnt you remove the songs as-well?they were there for the presentation.....either way....leave it i guess:P....

Edited by mahuta

"yes sir":D:P...lol....although i dont see why anyone would need to copy a presentation...but i guess you know better...okay:D...no problem....lol why didnt you remove the songs as-well?they were there for the presentation.....either way....leave it i guess:P....

The songs can be found online anyway, the ideas for the presentation cannot. People who are lazy would copy the presentation so that they can present it as their own.

Africa seems to be a lost cause to the Western world.

What I fail to understand is, when Saddam was there, the US and Mr George Bush were insistent on going after Saddam and giving Iraq freedom when there really wasn't much to do there, people weren't dying from outbreaks of Cholera.

When there is a dictator like Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, why isn't the US going in and taking HIM out?

What I fail to understand is, when Saddam was there, the US and Mr George Bush were insistent on going after Saddam and giving Iraq freedom when there really wasn't much to do there, people weren't dying from outbreaks of Cholera.

When there is a dictator like Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, why isn't the US going in and taking HIM out?

I was thinking the SAME thing the other day, then again they signed the agreement to go out of iraq in 2011 and that's only 2 years from now, so you never know what they'll be targetting next :) though with the Democrats in office I doubt they'll be thinking of fixing the rest of the world anytime soon... main focus is on the economy for now...

I have seriously thought about flying to Zimbabwe, taking a gun and shooting Mugabe myself. My sister has Zimbabwean friends, one of them had a farm owned by their family there (had being the operative word). Big farm, cattle, etc. When it came time for elections, the police came knocking at the door and told his father to go vote. His father refused, since he didn't want to be forced to vote for Mugabe. His father goes abroad on a trip, comes back, and the farm has been razed to the ground.

Same father also went abroad recently and returned, carrying only his Zimbabwean passport. He has dual citizenship. At the airport, the authorities told him his passport was no longer valid, and that he was no longer a Zimbabwean citizen. They gave him temporary traveling documents, packed him on an airplane and sent him out of the country he was born in.

Tell me that's not harsh.

Is there anything worthwhile in Africa? :P Lots of diamonds in certain geographic areas, I think... but not too much use for it?

That, and to suggest Africa has Weapons of Mass Destruction or something of the sort would just sound ridiculous. :P

Edit:

I have seriously thought about flying to Zimbabwe, taking a gun and shooting Mugabe myself. My sister has Zimbabwean friends, one of them had a farm owned by their family there (had being the operative word). Big farm, cattle, etc. When it came time for elections, the police came knocking at the door and told his father to go vote. His father refused, since he didn't want to be forced to vote for Mugabe. His father goes abroad on a trip, comes back, and the farm has been razed to the ground.

Same father also went abroad recently and returned, carrying only his Zimbabwean passport. He has dual citizenship. At the airport, the authorities told him his passport was no longer valid, and that he was no longer a Zimbabwean citizen. They gave him temporary traveling documents, packed him on an airplane and sent him out of the country he was born in.

Tell me that's not harsh.

Wow. Just... wow. :D

Edited by moneyfaery

Is there anything worthwhile in Africa? :D Lots of diamonds in certain geographic areas, I think... but not too much use for it?

That, and to suggest Africa has Weapons of Mass Destruction or something of the sort would just sound ridiculous. :D

it sounded ridiculous in Iraq as well, especially with the various UN checks which confirmed no such presence of any weapons, but that never stoped them :P I'm sort of glad they got rid of Saddam, it's just taken them long enough to leave! anyway, back to topic :P I think the Gaza situation has taken UN eyes off of Zimbabwe for the time being, but hopefully they'll do something about Mugabe! he reminds me of Big brother in 1984 :D took out his accomplices after regaining power, then controled everyone in the community to every last breath!

offtopic: we're all enjoying the new smilies aren't we? :P

It's not the eyes of the UN that are off Africa. It's ridiculous how many people blame the UN for not doing enough to "save the world". In Somalia, a man working for the UN was killed by three masked gunmen in south-west Gedo region. He gave up his life for his work. What right does anyone have to tell him that he's doing "nothing" for Africa?

I seriously suggest you look at actual work that the UN is doing before you say something like that.

http://www.undp.org/africa/ and http://www.un.org/africa/osaa/ are excellent examples. Poverty reduction is one of the main goals of the UN in Africa and Asia.

All the UN people work their asses off. I've worked in a UN office, I know how much time they all spend there. The kids at my school that have parents working for the UN don't see them a lot. My classmate hasn't seen her dad for 4 days because he's been working on the Gaza crisis. He travels there every week. What are other people doing for Gaza? Protesting. Which one helps more: burning flags or making sure that food aid gets in?

The UN has peacekeepers in Cyprus. In Kosovo. In Afghanistan. In Western Africa. There are 17 UN peacekeeping missions in the world, with over 70,000 troops deployed. I'm sorry if they aren't "doing enough" to help you personally. Where else do people want them? In their backyards?

"A 2005 RAND Corp study found the UN to be successful in two out of three peacekeeping efforts. It compared UN nation-building efforts to those of the United States, and found that seven out of eight UN cases are at peace, as opposed to four out of eight US cases at peace." (http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2005/RAND_MG304.sum.pdf)

Instead, people should be asking why their governments aren't doing more to solve the problems in the world. It's government money that pays for the UN's activities. This year, the UN is lacking funds because governments haven't paid up. They expect the UN to build rehabilitation centers for women, give out free drugs for HIV, stop wars, give out free food aid and a list of countless other things without paying for anything. You don't get anything in life for free.

The UN, along with the Red Cross, is one of the world's biggest relief agencies. It doesn't mean that they can suddenly change the mindset of all the people in the world that refuse to use contraceptives, and stop AIDS. And when you have countries refusing to accept international aid, like Zimbabwe and Ethiopia who only yesterday barred international NGO's from working to promote women's rights, disabled rights, human rights, political right. etc. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7814145.stm) The UN does not forcefully go into any country. It respects the UN charter, which states that the sovereign rights of any state shall not be violated.

So blame your government. Not the UN.

I've got nothing to do with it. I am from africa, yes. But I'm north african.

I only said this because my TOK presentation was on AIDS in africa, and from my researches on BBC mainly, all what the UN is doing is 'speech-making'. Dont say blame it on the gov. because I did, well not here...but I do have that point of view as well.

The thing is, how come when the US wanted to invade iraq, getting other countries to participate by the UN was verye asily done? Whereas actions that are meant to be taken to save lives in Africa, that are being taken by diseases that could be fought by certain medications. These medications are being given to patients in other countries, for AIDS for example, the antiretrovirals werent given until 24 years after AIDS ws first discovered in SOUTH AFRICA.

How come the UN cant get countries to give some money in order to provide some of the available drugs to fight AIDS and malaria and other diseases? The same way it was able to get countries to fight in IRAQ?

I'm not blaming the individuals that work for the UN, au contraire, I respect them and honestly wish to be in their places. I'm talking about the UN as a whole, in another words, the main people that work in it.

Trust me, I'm noway blaming those individuals that work for the UN.

The UN is doing all it can in countries that need its help. It's the individual governments that need to be addressed.

And Mahuta, it's not that the Aid never reaches the countries in question, in a lot of countries, corruption is so widespread that all types of aid do not reach the people who need them, and they only get to the politicians and superior authorities. You'd be surprised at the amount of aid waylaid and getting into the homes of corrupt individuals or on the black market.

It's the human race that needs to be cleaned. I'm not calling for ethnic cleansing or something, but people like Mugabe need to be wiped out.

Yes, ok fine. But why isnt the UN doing anything about people like Mugabe.

My point is, the way the UN prioritizes everything seems wrong to me. Why the hell did it agree on Iraq invation when wiping out people like Mugabe is much more important, isnt it??

As I said, I'm not only blaming the UN, I'm blaming the UN and the governments. The only reason i'm mentioning the UN more is because, the UN, and only the UN, haw the authority and control over governments (apart from the US sometimes).

No one has authority and control over governments. Countries and the UN can only sanction, sever diplomatic relations and all that jazz.

And the UN can't lay a finger on Mugabe, if they do, then they can't advocate peace as they're going to be hypocrites in their own rights.

A country most likely, or a political uprising within Zimbabwe. Or an individual like Vvi.

Thanks :blush: I was actually voted "Most likely to establish my own dictatorship" or something like that by my class.

The problem is, the Zimbabwean people are afraid. Not all countries have a history of revolution and political uprising/protests, and if they do, they most likely need someone to lead them. Stalin did that for Russia, Mao did it for China. And the same question can be applied to North Korea; why don't the people depose Kim Jong-Il? The climate of fear in those countries is unimaginable by people like us, that live in relative security. You might be afraid of being shot on the street in a drive-by shooting in America or a terrorist attack, but people in North Korea and Zimbabwe have their family members taken from their beds in the middle of the night. They are arrested for any treasonous words. We have freedom of speech,

What Aboo said was right, the UN can't militarily intervene or assassinate anyone. The most they can do is impose sanctions, otherwise they are violating the sovereignty and rights of a state to independence and freedom from outside appearance. UN peacekeepers keep the peace. They can't even fight back against rebels that are fighting in front of them.

Horrific example: In Bosnia, during the NATO bombings, Dutch peacekeepers were in charge of a UN refugee camp in Srebenica. When Serbian rebels attacked the camp and publicly executed over 2000 Muslim Bosnians (men and boys), the Dutch peacekeepers couldn't do anything because they would have been considered combatants in the war. They had to stand by and watch people being murdered in front of their eyes.

So write to your government, asking them to assassinate Mugabe. The Americans tried to assassinate Castro and succeeded in killing Che Guevara. No reason why others can't.

Its sad that all the medical companies in the world dont put much effort into making a cure for aids or making malaria medication affordable, most of the research is for western diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes, if africa spent as much money on medicine as america then the companies would find cures for those diseases and make them more affordable but since it isnt a profitable market it goes un-noticed.