The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

Is there any point in me applying to cambridge (or maybe oxford, but I would prefer cambridge) with my results as detailed below? Or are my grades just too low? Also which of these Uni's courses would I have best chance of getting into with my subject combo?

Original IB grades:

(Achieved May 3013, before retakes)

HL English 6

HL physics 4

HL art 6

SL psychology 6

SL maths 4

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 0

Total 32/45

Final IB grades:

(After retaking physics, maths and core in november 2013)

HL English 6

HL physics 7

HL visual arts 6

SL maths 6

SL psychology 6

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 3

Total 41/45

(At GCSE I got 5 A*'s 2 A's and a B)

So is it worth applying????

Is there any point in me applying to cambridge (or maybe oxford, but I would prefer cambridge) with my results as detailed below? Or are my grades just too low? Also which of these Uni's courses would I have best chance of getting into with my subject combo?

Original IB grades:

(Achieved May 3013, before retakes)

HL English 6

HL physics 4

HL art 6

SL psychology 6

SL maths 4

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 0

Total 32/45

Final IB grades:

(After retaking physics, maths and core in november 2013)

HL English 6

HL physics 7

HL visual arts 6

SL maths 6

SL psychology 6

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 3

Total 41/45

(At GCSE I got 5 A*'s 2 A's and a B)

So is it worth applying????

Hey! In terms of your marks, I think that even after retakes, they are a bit lower than what Cambridge would want. Whilst your 41/45 total is matching up or exceeding most college's standard IB score offer, you only have 766 at HL whilst a lot of the more competitive colleges demand 776 (or indeed, even 777). However, having said that, the IB offer for Cambridge is by no means inflexible - you just have to impress them academically in other ways. Personally, whilst I think your GCSE scores might not be brilliant (I have pretty much no experience of it), there are still chances to impress in terms of PS - and interview (which you might get, considering ~80% of applicants get it).

I don't have detailed knowledge on this, but I also think it might be tougher to get in because you got lower marks the first time around then in your retakes. Cambridge looks at a lot of your past academic records, and a 32/45 would let you down, even if you made a spectacular improvement. I'd say that if possible, try and subtly explain in your PS the process of improving your marks in retakes - or if you had any extenuating circumstances at all, tell your teacher referee to try and explain it.

Have you got any idea what subject are you applying for? Consider carefully - for instance, law would be more competitive than geography. Also, check out each individual college and apply for one which think would give you a slightly higher chance for admission (though that process doesn't always work, because Cambridge claims to be good at balancing applicants out between colleges). Make sure you apply for a subject that you are passionate about or at least can passably fake an interest in - it's important for the PS and interview. Looking at your combination, despite physics HL, you've sort of limited yourself from doing anything related to science/maths/engineering given that you don't have at least one science HL + maths HL together. So, having determined that, it is really up to you to explore what interests you within the remaining courses - websites have a lot of detailed information on each course.

Even for the very best applicants, Cambridge is incredibly difficult to get into. I'd say that it definitely can't hurt to try and apply for Cambridge, but definitely remember to have back-up options! Best of luck.

• Like 2

Hello!

I want to apply to study Geography at Cambridge, but I have a problem concerning my subjects. My school doesn't offer Geography as a subject, so instead I'm taking:

English Lit SL

History SL

Spanish B HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

(Swedish Biology, Latin and Geo)

I'm taking Geography as a Swedish course (Geografi 1), but it's not that much content compared to, say, IB Geography. So I'm worried about my chances of getting into Cambridge, even with the best of grades. This is what it says on the Cambridge website, and what I've heard when I emailed them:

There is no single combination of subjects that is especially good for students wishing to study Geography; the teaching programme for the course is broad enough to encompass those whose primary interests are in the humanities, the social sciences, the natural or the environmental sciences, or any combination of these.

It isn't even essential to have studied geography at A Level (although in practice nearly all our students have done so). If you are particularly interested in contemporary human geography or historical geography, then Economics, English Literature, History, and Sociology are useful (though not essential), as are courses in world development.

Does this means I've still got a shot, or should I opt for taking a gap year to study geography (certificate or something similar) before applying? Thank you for any response :D

Hello!

I want to apply to study Geography at Cambridge, but I have a problem concerning my subjects. My school doesn't offer Geography as a subject, so instead I'm taking:

English Lit SL

History SL

Spanish B HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

I'm taking Geography as a Swedish course (Geografi 1), but it's not that much content compared to, say, IB Geography. So I'm worried about my chances of getting into Cambridge, even with the best of grades. This is what it says on the Cambridge website, and what I've heard when I emailed them:

There is no single combination of subjects that is especially good for students wishing to study Geography; the teaching programme for the course is broad enough to encompass those whose primary interests are in the humanities, the social sciences, the natural or the environmental sciences, or any combination of these.

It isn't even essential to have studied geography at A Level (although in practice nearly all our students have done so). If you are particularly interested in contemporary human geography or historical geography, then Economics, English Literature, History, and Sociology are useful (though not essential), as are courses in world development.

Does this means I've still got a shot, or should I opt for taking a gap year to study geography (certificate or something similar) before applying? Thank you for any response :D

Firstly, as I think you've recognised, it's pretty difficult to get into Cambridge with perfect grades and having studied geography in IB! Having said that, it's definitely not impossible either. What you have to do is demonstrate considerable interest in geography to compensate for your school not having geography as an IB subject - mostly, you do this through your PS. You should also definitely try and get your referee to acknowledge it in the reference they write you, and explain it in your SAQ/COPA as well, which is especially designed to provide detail of the circumstances of your school. It appears from your subjects that you have an incredibly strong background in maths/science (Maths, Chem and Physics HL with extra biology on top? Wow!) - which I'm guessing would suggest your interest in geography is based more on physical geography - though I could be wrong in this deduction. You could link the subjects you are doing to demonstrating an interest in geography, as well as emphasising that you do a Swedish course in it as well.

In terms of whether you should take a gap year to study more geography, I think that that is up to you. As far as I know, most colleges don't have an issue with geography applicants taking a year off before applying (unlike, for instance, mathematics) - so as long as you plausibly explain what productive things you have done/will do in that break, it is not a detriment. However, where would you be planning to study geography? Would it be practically as good as if you got direct admission without that break? I get that it's a very tough decision, because the extra study could potentially strengthen your application that crucial little bit.

Even though you say that you've already emailed Cambridge, I suggest that for a few of the colleges you are interested in applying to, you try and contact the director of admissions, or the director of studies for geography. Their details for contact should be up online. That way, you might be able to get more specific information about how you should proceed in your situation - hopefully more detailed than the generic response. Also, looking online at other fora like the TSR might provide some first-hand accounts and advice for how applicants can deal with situations like yours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

English Lit SL

History SL

Spanish B HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

Firstly, as I think you've recognised, it's pretty difficult to get into Cambridge with perfect grades and having studied geography in IB! Having said that, it's definitely not impossible either. What you have to do is demonstrate considerable interest in geography to compensate for your school not having geography as an IB subject - mostly, you do this through your PS. You should also definitely try and get your referee to acknowledge it in the reference they write you, and explain it in your SAQ/COPA as well, which is especially designed to provide detail of the circumstances of your school. It appears from your subjects that you have an incredibly strong background in maths/science (Maths, Chem and Physics HL with extra biology on top? Wow!) - which I'm guessing would suggest your interest in geography is based more on physical geography - though I could be wrong in this deduction. You could link the subjects you are doing to demonstrating an interest in geography, as well as emphasising that you do a Swedish course in it as well.

In terms of whether you should take a gap year to study more geography, I think that that is up to you. As far as I know, most colleges don't have an issue with geography applicants taking a year off before applying (unlike, for instance, mathematics) - so as long as you plausibly explain what productive things you have done/will do in that break, it is not a detriment. However, where would you be planning to study geography? Would it be practically as good as if you got direct admission without that break? I get that it's a very tough decision, because the extra study could potentially strengthen your application that crucial little bit.

Even though you say that you've already emailed Cambridge, I suggest that for a few of the colleges you are interested in applying to, you try and contact the director of admissions, or the director of studies for geography. Their details for contact should be up online. That way, you might be able to get more specific information about how you should proceed in your situation - hopefully more detailed than the generic response. Also, looking online at other fora like the TSR might provide some first-hand accounts and advice for how applicants can deal with situations like yours.

Thank you so much for your answer! I don't really know where I would study geography, but I would definitely prefer applying this year. Although if I have no chance to get accepted this year, well, then I don't have much of a choice.

I do like physical geography, but I'm very interested in human geography as well haha. Chemistry HL just seemed like less work than History HL, and I kind of needed one soft subject, with the Maths and all. Great work on that seven in Maths by the way! :D

I'm definitely going to e-mail them again. Is there any kind of extracurricular activities somewhat related to geography? I'm having trouble finding any :S

Hello!

English Lit SL

History SL

Spanish B HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

Thank you so much for your answer! I don't really know where I would study geography, but I would definitely prefer applying this year. Although if I have no chance to get accepted this year, well, then I don't have much of a choice.

I do like physical geography, but I'm very interested in human geography as well haha. Chemistry HL just seemed like less work than History HL, and I kind of needed one soft subject, with the Maths and all. Great work on that seven in Maths by the way! :D

I'm definitely going to e-mail them again. Is there any kind of extracurricular activities somewhat related to geography? I'm having trouble finding any :S

Chemistry HL hardly seems like a 'soft subject', though I agree that History HL can be quite daunting! I'm not actually sure what 'extracurricular activities' that would demonstrate interest in geography, but perhaps participating in local/national geography competitions, trying to find opportunities to do or even lead geography fieldwork and perhaps finding an opportunity to be involved in a geographical research team (not sure if that's possible, but you might know a way to make it happen) may be good. Otherwise, your extra-curricular activities don't necessarily have to be geography-related - as long as they can demonstrate that they are still showing that you are suited to geography. For instance, you could talk about something science-related as demonstrating how you would be suited to practical fieldwork, or how involvement in an economics-related thing may have made you interested in development geography or something like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm from Canada, just finishing up my first year of IB. I want to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science.

Predicted grades after 1 year:

HL math: 7
HL Computer Science: 7
HL Physics: 7
HL French: 6
SL Geography: 6/7
SL English: 5

TOK/EE: No idea yet, but my EE paper will be looking at social media, related to computer science/psychology

Does anyone have any reccomendations for me, or advice for the application process? I willt be applying for the Octover 2015 starting semester, and I'm fairly certain that I have
checked every single deadline, and haven't missed any forms. Can anyone help me double check? I also need to apply for Blyth and Organ scholarships. And since I need to apply by THIS October, I am not sure what marks to apply with. Will they want my transcript including my grade 10 marks? Their flowchart indicates I should present the marks I attained BEFORE studying the IB.

I'm from Canada, just finishing up my first year of IB. I want to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science.

Hi! Don't worry right now, you're well ahead of schedule as I'm sure you know.

I applied to Cambridge as an international student, so you'll be in the same boat as I was. You'll have to do a supplementary form in addition to the UCAS one, and you'll be requested to attach your high school transcript there if my memory serves me right. Grade 9, 10 and 11 were on mine.

One interesting thing with Oxbridge is that grades don't really matter too much. Don't get me wrong, you need excellent scores, but you have to realize that all the other applicants have equally good scores, and, especially as an international student, this is especially tough (10-15% acceptance rate I believe, but this probably just indicates weaker applicants in general). You have to be able to show motivation and interest, that's key.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for me, or advice for the application process?

Good luck! I'm a CompSci offer holder, so I'll be happy to help where I can. :)

For the high school transcript, I also wasn't too sure when I applied and I just ended up sending my MYP certificate (grade 10). I don't think they would put too much emphasis on them though, it's mostly your IB predictions they want to see, plus I already had given my MYP scores at the time. That said, they may prefer to have a transcript with all your grades from the last 2-3 years as Negotitation said, so I suppose that may be better if you can get it.

As some general advice, start working on your personal statement from relatively early on (by early I mean during summer, though I personally did it in the last month) and do things like wider reading and programming. Grade-wise it looks like you stand a decent chance, at least based off this.

One interesting thing with Oxbridge is that grades don't really matter too much. Don't get me wrong, you need excellent scores, but you have to realize that all the other applicants have equally good scores, and, especially as an international student, this is especially tough (10-15% acceptance rate I believe, but this probably just indicates weaker applicants in general). You have to be able to show motivation and interest, that's key.

I actually had the opposite impression, at least for Cambridge. It seemed to me that they were mostly looking for people who would do well in the Tripos, so there appeared to be a high emphasis on predicted IB grades. This may just be just the college I applied to, but my interviews were purely about solving problems they gave me. The only opportunity to show my interests was my personal personal statement, which IMO wasn't particularly special.

Though the majority of the application does seem to be a mystery to me, I don't really have any idea in terms of what they are really looking at.

I actually had the opposite impression, at least for Cambridge. It seemed to me that they were mostly looking for people who would do well in the Tripos, so there appeared to be a high emphasis on predicted IB grades. This may just be just the college I applied to, but my interviews were purely about solving problems they gave me. The only opportunity to show my interests was my personal personal statement, which IMO wasn't particularly special.

Yep, no doubt. That's the same thing that happened to me.

However, what I meant is that most applicants will have excellent grades (easily 40+, depending on the subject combination) and so candidates can't be picked purely based on grades, and it's more to do with problem solving skills, as you said, and interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a question here regarding the application to Oxford University. I will list my subjects and my grades here:

English B HL - 7

Russian A SL - 6

History HL - 6

Physics Hl - 6

Mathematics HL - 6

Economics HL - 7

TOK - A

I want to apply to PPE (possibly), as I am interested in Economics and politics. What do you think my chances are if they predict me these grades?

Hey guys, I have a question here regarding the application to Oxford University. I will list my subjects and my grades here:

English B HL - 7

Russian A SL - 6

History HL - 6

Physics Hl - 6

Mathematics HL - 6

Economics HL - 7

TOK - A

I want to apply to PPE (possibly), as I am interested in Economics and politics. What do you think my chances are if they predict me these grades?

PPE is extremely competitive, so just grades alone aren't enough to predict anything. You certainly meet the minimum score to apply to Oxford, I suggest working on your personal statement and then ace-ing the interview when the time comes.

• Like 1

English B HL - 7

Russian A SL - 6

History HL - 6

Physics Hl - 6

Mathematics HL - 6

Economics HL - 7

TOK - A

PPE is extremely competitive, so just grades alone aren't enough to predict anything. You certainly meet the minimum score to apply to Oxford, I suggest working on your personal statement and then ace-ing the interview when the time comes.

Im not sure about the PPE yet. Perhaps you may know any other courses, which are slightly less competitive, that involve economics or politics?

Thanks,

Alex

Im not sure about the PPE yet. Perhaps you may know any other courses, which are slightly less competitive, that involve economics or politics?

Thanks,

Alex

Hey Alex, whem your aim is to apply to Oxbridge, it doesn't matter what the course is, it will be extremely competitive to get onto it.

• Like 1

English B HL - 7

Russian A SL - 6

History HL - 6

Physics Hl - 6

Mathematics HL - 6

Economics HL - 7

TOK - A

Thanks,

Alex

Well, Cambridge doesn't offer PPE. Their rough equivalent is HSPS - human, social and political science. It combines a lot of different things - politics, IR, anthropology and sociology for example. Cambridge has a separate economics course. In terms of crude acceptance rates, Cambridge HSPS is around 1 in 4, Cambridge economics is around 1 in 6.5, and Oxford PPE around 1 in 7.1. Cambridge has land economy as well - with acceptance about 1 in 3.3. So based on these figures, it would suggest that Cambridge's economics and politics courses are less competitive than Oxford PPE.

However, keep in mind that the courses are quite different in many ways, so definitely do some research as to which you prefer. Also, whilst good marks will help you get in - and yours are pretty good although you might want to work on getting more 7s in HL subjects (though you have 5, which very impressive!) - you do need to display a 'passion' for politics/economics, and often why you chose a particular course over another one (it looks good to know details).

But, as Arrowhead has highlighted, admission to pretty much every course at Oxbridge is very competitive. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

English B HL - 7

Russian A SL - 6

History HL - 6

Physics Hl - 6

Mathematics HL - 6

Economics HL - 7

TOK - A

I realize I'm about 3 weeks too late in replying, but thought I'd add my two cents anyway!

You're looking at a score of 38-41. Probably 39-41, considering your A in ToK. A score of 39 is the minimum for PPE the last time I checked. 

You might want to look at improving this. 39 is the bare minimum, and although this score will ensure you're not "eliminated" on the academic front, it's still fairly weak compared to people who're applying with 44s and 45s. In addition, as flinquinnster has mentioned, you should focus on getting more 7s in your HLs. A solid 7 7 7 always looks good. Though I must ask, how are you getting a diploma with 5 HLs? I was thinking that you had to have at least 2 SLs...

It should be mentioned however, that grades are one of the criteria. There are other ways to show the PPE tutors that you should have a place there (or at least be called for an interview). One of these is the TSA. I met quite a few people at interview who weren't predicted perfect grades (38, actually), but felt like they did very well on the TSA. This is an opportunity to shine if your academics aren't excellent. By no means however should you use this as an excuse to get lower grades. Oxford can still reject you "automatically" if you don't meet the minimum grade requirement. 

To impress upon you the importance of the TSA: I had a chat with one of my interviewers (tracked him down!) after I got my acceptance letter, to thank him. He mentioned that the major reason I got my place was my TSA score - it was exceptionally high. My interviews in fact were average! If I'd done "well" on the TSA, there's no way I'd have been accepted. 

Finally, as Arrowhead has mentioned, your PS and reference go a long way. One might say that at the top level, where everyone's grades read like battery sizes (does Europe use AA and AAA batteries...?), the PS and reference are distinguishing factors. It's also the place to impress upon them your genuine passion in the subject, which above all, is likely to make them call you for interview. 

Seriously though, get those grades up. 

• Like 2

Good morning!

I want to study medicine at oxford university in a couple of years. I'm currently 16 years old. I just received a letter home telling me that I got into IB and now I'm struggling with what subjects to choose for my upcoming 3 years. (Here in sweden IB is 3 years). I know that i can get a fullmark on the IB score because I graduated with the highest grades possible. Now I'm thinking of applying to oxford and therefore I will bust my behind of to make sure I get that spot. But I know that there are many more components that will determined your destiny of getting into oxford , personal statement, interview and what you do outside of studying. I'm thinking of volunteering to work at a hospital near by and help with old people at a retirement house. Here are the subjects I'm currently thinking of 👇

HL

Chemistry

Biology

English

SL

Math

Swedish

Physics or phycology.

Thank youu soo much in advance!

PS. Is there anyone that currently is studying at oxford or have? Or is there anyone that is thinking of studying at medicine at oxford? Then please let me know what subjects you choose, which ones in HL and SL.

I'm not answering any particular post here, just sharing information I possess. My source of information is an Oxford tutor who kindly went off topic during a tutorial. It was a law tutor, but I highhhhhhly doubt the procedure varies across subjects. 

Interview is not a deciding factor is someone getting a place, it's just a part of the process. Each part of your application receives a certain amount of points (PS, reference, predicted grades, LNAT/TSA/BMAT/whateverAT score, interview(s), etc). When they add up all the points your application got, they offer places to an X number of people who got the most points. As he said, most interviews are of a VERY similar standard, it is very rare for an interview to be either exceptional or incredibly bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Technical question about applying: does the early deadline apply to all five courses? That is, do you have to send in a complete application in October or do you send in only the Oxbridge one, and then the "normal" one in January?