Biology SL/HL help

Mahuta ♥

Just digestion >.< (since when did Digestion became even MORE specific?) Digestion = Breaking Down.

So Digestive Tube?

Well, technically, yes, but clarity is a helpful quality to have when questioning (and obviously defining digestion wasn't the most unclear part of your question.)

Bile emulsification takes place in the duodenum, and pancreatic lipases finish off the breakdown process throughout the small intestine.

• Like 1

Just digestion >.< (since when did Digestion became even MORE specific?) Digestion = Breaking Down.

So Digestive Tube?

Clarity helps because "digestion" can involve breaking it down, absorption, and assimilation. One breaks it down, obviously, the next takes it in and the next uses it. Good to also have clarity because these all happen at different places that can become very specific. Break down in the duodenum/small intestine which is also where absorption occurs but even more detailed the absorption occurs mainly around the villi/micro villi of the intestinal wall. And even then the absorption goes as far as the lacteal which is an extension of the lymph system that goes into the micro villi. Assimilation happens everywhere basically so whatever.

This is why clarity helps :P Or at least some context of the question like whether or not it's SL or HL core of if it's in the H topic or not because each one requires more detail :)

Edited by Drake Glau

Mark, you need this information for your Extended Essay, so this is what you need:

Pancreatic Lipase is obviously secreted by the pancreas then taken into the first part of duodenum, so the lipid digestion takes place in the small intestines, mostly in the Jejunum. So what concerns you in this matter is it taking place in small intestines, ignore anywhere else because breakdown (the kind you're looking at) take places here.

As for the amount of pancreatic lipase, like I said above, I don't think it's possible to determine that, because it depends on the things that stimulate its production and how the body responds, the type of food you eat. Things that stimulate pancreatic enzymes secretion is CCK (Cholecystokinine). You have to look at these things for your EE. If you finished exams, take a look at the physiology of digestion on the internet and ask here if something is unclear. Read from the end of the stomach part until the end of the small intestine.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

One of my books mentioned a mesosome as the organelle responsible for respiration in prokaryotes. I double-checked that and apparently mesosomes are simply artifacts. So my question is: which organelle is responsible for prokaryote respiration?

Thanks,

Matt

+ Can an infolding of the partially permeable membrane be classified as a separate organelle? Im not sure if I put my question correctly :)

Edited by Hinuku

Hi,

One of my books mentioned a mesosome as the organelle responsible for respiration in prokaryotes. I double-checked that and apparently mesosomes are simply artifacts. So my question is: which organelle is responsible for prokaryote respiration?

Thanks,

Matt

+ Can an infolding of the partially permeable membrane be classified as a separate organelle? Im not sure if I put my question correctly :)

Prokaryotic respiration occurs in the plasma membrane and cytoplasm of the cell, as they do not have mitochondrion. As far as I know, mesosomes are just 'thing's in the plasma membrane.. just.. things :P. Coming out of it. They also assist in gram stain fixations, but IB doesn't worry about that, and neither should you :) You're not required to know the function of it, I don't think. Although, in answer to your last question, I do not think it is classed as a separate organelle, instead a subcellular structure, since it does not perform a function within a cell

• Like 1

Guest KAPOWW!!

Hey guys here are my doubts: 1)Is primary oocyte and primary follicle the same? I have my doubts about it, but this image says so.

2)Yeah also is the secondary Meiotic division after fertilization or shortly before it?

Edited by KAPOWW!!

Hey guys here are my doubts: 1)Is primary oocyte and primary follicle the same? I have my doubts about it, but this image says so.

No. Follicle and oocyte are never the same thing. This is how it goes: 1)Primordial Follicle (you dont have to know that)---> 2)Primary Follicle----> 3)Secondary Follicle -----> 4)Tertiary Follicle. As the follicle is growing, the oocyte is growning inside it. Even at tertiary follicle, you still have the oocyte I inside.

Don't confuse yourself! An oocyte is always inside the follicle throughout it's maturation.

Tertiary Follicle & Oocyte 1

Just look at the 'Follicule Tertiare' obviously the tertiary follicle and 'Oocyte 1' which is Oocyte I.

Primary follcile & oocyte 1

In other words, in that picture, the 'Primary Follicle' tag is pointing at the follcile and 'Primary oocyte' one is pointing at the middle of the follicle. :)

2)Yeah also is the secondary Meiotic division after fertilization or shortly before it?

The second meiotic division starts before fertilization, and stops at Metaphase (some say Prophase). The penetration immediately triggers the continuation of the second meiotic division. This is the secondary oocyte we're talking about obviously.

The difference between those two is that allosteric inhibition is a description of the physical mechanism of inhibition and non-competitive reversible inhibition is a description of how the inhibition reacts to changing circumstances. So they're two different types of description - one of what is really happening and the other is just saying how that inhibition would response to changes in concentration, time etc.

Allosteric is more or less the only type of inhibition which doesn't involve either blockade or modification of the active site, so there aren't too many physical mechanisms. As for the descriptions relating to the mechanism in different circumstances, then you have more or less only to pick from non-competitive/competitive and reversible vs irreversible.

• Like 1

I'm also wondering why is an RNA primer added by DNA Primase to the Dna single strand which stands as a template for the synthesis of the leading strand. I mean, DNA synthesis can only be initiated at the 3' end. And it seems to me that in the case of the leading strand, it does - so why an additional RNA primer?

Thanks,

Matt

Wikipedia has a relatively decent explanation

The lagging strand is that strand of the DNA double helix that is orientated in a 5' to 3' manner. Therefore, its complement must be synthesized in a 3'→5' manner. Because DNA polymerase III cannot synthesize in the 3'→5' direction, the lagging strand is synthesized in short segments known as Okazaki fragments. Along the lagging strand's template, primase builds RNA primers in short bursts. DNA polymerases are then able to use the free 3'-OH groups on the RNA primers to synthesize DNA in the 5'→3' direction.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(molecular_biology)

i.e. they provide the free 3-'OH group.

I'm a little tired so I'm not sure if that actually answered your question properly or not. Are you also asking why exactly they are on the leading as well as the lagging strand? I can only assume it's as a marker for the start of DNA replication as they provide a site for the enzymes to attach to, however I'm not 100% clear as to whether that's the only (or main) reason.

Fortunately for IB you don't need to know the exact whys of everything, but for intellectual curiosity's sake it's an interesting one. DNA synthesis has always seemed sliiiightly incomprehensible to me on the why front!

• Like 1

at my school we do a lot of labs (once a week) and usually our teacher tells us if it's formally assessed (can be used for IA) or informally assessed (cannot be used for IA, only used for school report grade).

all of my formal IAs are quantitative&qualitative. I've done a few qualitative-only experiments, a few! and they're all informal labs.

so I don't think yours can be completely qualitative.

I might be wrong since I don't take bio but I kind of assumed the science IA is the same for phy, chem and bio.

Guest KAPOWW!!

No. Follicle and oocyte are never the same thing. This is how it goes: 1)Primordial Follicle (you dont have to know that)---> 2)Primary Follicle----> 3)Secondary Follicle -----> 4)Tertiary Follicle. As the follicle is growing, the oocyte is growning inside it. Even at tertiary follicle, you still have the oocyte I inside.

Don't confuse yourself! An oocyte is always inside the follicle throughout it's maturation.

Tertiary Follicle & Oocyte 1

Just look at the 'Follicule Tertiare' obviously the tertiary follicle and 'Oocyte 1' which is Oocyte I.

Primary follcile & oocyte 1

In other words, in that picture, the 'Primary Follicle' tag is pointing at the follcile and 'Primary oocyte' one is pointing at the middle of the follicle. :)

The second meiotic division starts before fertilization, and stops at Metaphase (some say Prophase). The penetration immediately triggers the continuation of the second meiotic division. This is the secondary oocyte we're talking about obviously.

Hey thanks for this answer it answered my doubts, though some of it was confusion, but what matters is that the doubt was solved.

So just to reiterate in my own words(control-freak lol)what you said is that 'The oocyte is the tiny ball at the center of the follicular ring.' btw, I think I made that stupid statement that occytes and follicles are the same ,without stating my assumption that ' its understood that the maturation of an oocyte always occurs within an ovarian follicle' should've said that.

2) nothing to say perfect thanks!

A cause des images, je pense que vous parlez en francais, alors Merci beaucoup!!! :D

Hello! Would really appreciate help on these Q's:

1- Why are cells so small?

2- In Prokaryotes, is the cell wall the most outer layer or the next outer layer?

3- why do prokaryotes divide by binary fission? What is binary fisson?

Would be happy to get some help on this, my teacher just went through it and i didnt get her explanation, thanks!:-)