Silly/funny/weird/strange words in your native language

Vvi

Wow....and you say I stereotype...speak for yourself.

I AM a Newfoundlander.

I can poke fun at my culture all I want.

It's the same thing anywhere.

People say the word "******" is controversial, and yet African Americans use it all the time and it's acceptable for them.

This isn't the topic for this thread though.

PM me if you really want to hash it out.

in korean, the literal translation of a hot guy is flower boy

Does this have anything to do with the naming of the current drama Boys Over Flowers? (Or Before Flowers, there's apparently 2 English titles. Not that I watch it.)

'do you want to die?' is clasified as a jocular response of : stop it, are you crazy

Do you want to die in Korean sounds like Chocolate. Sorta.

I just find Korean "What?" (Mo? or something or other) extremely funny. It always sounds like you're biting the other person's head off. <3

the chinese language in general.

i'm pretty sure that almost everyone has gotten a few laughs out of someone mimicking chinese :ashika:

or when someone randomly tries to read pin-yin - which sucked since I actually had a speaking test right after - didn't do to well D:

but yer~

(p.s- i am chinese ^^v)

Come to think about some other funny Swedish expressions such as

"Får får får?"

"Nej, får får lamm."

Literally meaning:

"Does sheep get sheep?"

"No, sheep get lambs."

"En hel del", which is funny because

1. It rhymes

2. It's a paradox

3. It's commonly used

Also, some English words are really funny in Swedish

Kiss and pink mean pee

The sentence "I buy pink sheet" makes children laugh

Buy is almost pronounced as the Swedish word for poo

Sheet is almost pronounced as the Swedish word for ****

• 2 weeks later...
"Får får får?"

"Nej, får får lamm."

Literally meaning:

"Does sheep get sheep?"

"No, sheep get lambs."

they have similar things in China. Like when I learn some of the words/expressions, they mean somethnig like horse horse tiger horse horse

and it means something about having a strong character, but the horse part comes from a legendary story. there are several expressions which derive from tradition :sick:

they have similar things in China. Like when I learn some of the words/expressions, they mean somethnig like horse horse tiger horse horse

and it means something about having a strong character, but the horse part comes from a legendary story. there are several expressions which derive from tradition :)

Oh, that reminds me... when you say "go pee" it sounds like gǒu pì (literally "dog fart") in Mandarin, which is an insult :sick: (or is supposed to be insulting... I didn't grow up in a "Chinese" environment so I'm kind of insensitive to profanity)

Oh, that reminds me... when you say "go pee" it sounds like gǒu pì (literally "dog fart") in Mandarin, which is an insult :sick: (or is supposed to be insulting... I didn't grow up in a "Chinese" environment so I'm kind of insensitive to profanity)

I cant wait to take Mandarin at a university level. They beat it into you, and success comes from how much you put in. I am soooo going to move close to China town in New York! I need to always have asians around. My favorite language/culture/race/food/most beautiful people to me.

Hehe :) In my Spanish class we have "Profanity Day" =) And the teacher basically goes on a rant about her travels and what she said, and how she was felt up, and how she threw back insults. Better than food day lol :(

I cant wait to take Mandarin at a university level. They beat it into you, and success comes from how much you put in. I am soooo going to move close to China town in New York! I need to always have asians around. My favorite language/culture/race/food/most beautiful people to me.

Hehe :sick: In my Spanish class we have "Profanity Day" =) And the teacher basically goes on a rant about her travels and what she said, and how she was felt up, and how she threw back insults. Better than food day lol :)

It's always interesting how people pick up profanity so quickly. Me + friend learned French profanities in a day, haha. :(

It's always interesting how people pick up profanity so quickly. Me + friend learned French profanities in a day, haha. :sick:

It's an germane part of linguistics :) But my teacher always has someone say something on the oral they shouldn't. Like F***. and then she has to re-do the tape.

you know what's even weirder !? translating some of them. Oh gawd. they make me embarrassed. Dont really understand what the words trully are until you look at each of them individually.

I don't understand how they even swear, teachers shouldn't be allowed to swear, no matter what language.

My history teacher in Pre-DP said that we weren't allowed to swear in any language but our mothertongue. So if I would have swore in Swedish, it would have been fine :sick:

Haha I was looking at the French Oxford Revision Guide Booklet today, and it said something like "Using the informal register when writing a diary does not mean that you can use swear words or inappropriate language!" With an exclamation mark at the end.

Who does that in an IB exam?

It's always interesting how people pick up profanity so quickly. Me + friend learned French profanities in a day, haha. biggrin.gif

My expat friends in high schol swear in Vietnamese better than I can :)

But my teacher always has someone say something on the oral they shouldn't. Like F***. and then she has to re-do the tape.

You're not really supposed to do that :) . I think examiners would get about a couple swear words per session when marking orals. :rofl: