Silly/funny/weird/strange words in your native language

Vvi

What always makes me smile are the fun japanese phrases of repeating sounds-

ペコペコ (peko peko) to be very hungry

テンテン (ten ten) dots, small marks

バラバラ (bara bara) all over the place, scattered around

アチコチ (atchi kotchi) here and there

ヒトビト (hito bito) a general term for people as in "people say..."

グルグル (guru guru) spinning slowly, like a drunk guy swaying as he is about to fall

ヒソヒソ (hiso hiso) the sound of whispering

ピヨピヨ (piyo piyo) the sound of baby chickens

ペラペラ (pera pera) blah blah blah

パクパク (paku paku) the sound of shoveling food into your mouth in large quantities quickly

In Swedish we also have "fart" for speed. But what most English speakers react to is the word "fack", meaning a lot of things, category for example. One can also make funny sentences with the words "å" (stream) and "ö" (island)

Smäll, which in some cases means crash, as in car crash, in Swedish, is procounciated as smell. If a Swede says "It's not the fart that kills, it's the smell", now you'll know what they're trying to say :D

I don't think they are called that anymore, and I don't even know exactly what it is, we had fack skolor (my dictionary says vocational school) in Sweden. If you said it in English, it would be fack schools. (Asked to spell fack, English speakers would probably spell it with a u instead of an a)

EZZZAHH...pronounced ezza7..used in things like

"will you stop it ezzahhh"..or "whats this BS ezzzah".

pronounced ezza7? Can you clarify?

This reminds me of Russell Peters...

Trust me, you're not gonna regret those 8 minutes :)

Have you noticed how each language portrays sounds differently? onomatopoeia...

English: cock-a-doodle-doo

Spanish: ki-kiri-ki

Hindi: coo-ko-ru-coo

pronounced ezza7? Can you clarify?

LOL, I tried, but I couldnt..the '7' is like..umm..,.for example..if you're burnt or something you say "ouch!" or "ahhh" not "aah" as in screaming..but "aah" as in .i dont know!

You know think about a snake making the sound...the last letter is that!

No idea if that makes sense, but its the best I can do.

LOL, I tried, but I couldnt..the '7' is like..umm..,.for example..if you're burnt or something you say "ouch!" or "ahhh" not "aah" as in screaming..but "aah" as in .i dont know!

You know think about a snake making the sound...the last letter is that!

When I tried that, I got "ehsas" (which means intrinsic/intuitive feeling in Hindi :) )

do snakes make a hisssssssing sound? lol

Yeah I think i got a "aah" sound.. like a short yelp more than a scream? So then the last syllable is stressed?

What kinda snakes do you have there Maha? :P Animal sounds are obviously different in countries, but most snakes I know say "sssssssssssssss".

In Finland, we use the sounds "röh röh" for pigs, while the English use "oink oink". How many pigs actually say "oink"?

And Finnish dogs say "hau hau" while English ones say "woof woof".

Also, what people yell when something stings/hurts them is different. My German classmate says "Awa", I say "Ai (pronounced like "eye" in English) and the English say "Ouch".

In Finland, we use the sounds "röh röh" for pigs, while the English use "oink oink". How many pigs actually say "oink"?

And Finnish dogs say "hau hau" while English ones say "woof woof".

Also, what people yell when something stings/hurts them is different. My German classmate says "Awa", I say "Ai (pronounced like "eye" in English) and the English say "Ouch".

I have an English cup with a cow, sheep and pig on it, and when I was young, I never understood how come English pigs say "oink", when the Swedish pigs say "nöff nöff" :P

Smäll, which in some cases means crash, as in car crash, in Swedish, is procounciated as smell. If a Swede says "It's not the fart that kills, it's the smell", now you'll know what they're trying to say :P

I don't think they are called that anymore, and I don't even know exactly what it is, we had fack skolor (my dictionary says vocational school) in Sweden. If you said it in English, it would be fack schools. (Asked to spell fack, English speakers would probably spell it with a u instead of an a)

I think they still do exist, but I'm not sure. There's also a small village close to where I live called "Fjuckby", which is quite vulgar both in Swedish and in English.

We also have the word "prick" meaning dot. :)

ペコペコ (peko peko) to be very hungry

テンテン (ten ten) dots, small marks

バラバラ (bara bara) all over the place, scattered around

アチコチ (atchi kotchi) here and there

ヒトビト (hito bito) a general term for people as in "people say..."

グルグル (guru guru) spinning slowly, like a drunk guy swaying as he is about to fall

ヒソヒソ (hiso hiso) the sound of whispering

ピヨピヨ (piyo piyo) the sound of baby chickens

ペラペラ (pera pera) blah blah blah

パクパク (paku paku) the sound of shoveling food into your mouth in large quantities quickly

there's also pikapika kirakira and chirachira all mean shining

what i find funny is that in Japanese there are few sounds so many words mean more than one thing

ex. kami = paper, hair, God

also some chinese names when traslated to english sound very strange

ex. Wong Long Long, Chan Ting Ching etc

and my favourite french word

pantouffles = slippers

Italian:

dai (sounds like "die")= come on

I try not to use it anymore, because when it slips I get funny stares

"Dai" in Hebrew means "Enough". It's hilarious when you're on the street and parents are screaming "Dai!" at their kids and there's foreigners walking past.