If I Want To Study Medicine...

saritaoel

Hey everyone! Well, the reason why I created this topic is because its been a question that I've had for a while and I can't really find an answer to it! So, here's my question; Do I have to be good in chemistry or even like chemistry to study and do well in medicine? Of course, biology is a given, but does chemistry play a large role in medicinal studies?

Thanks!

:S

Yes, chemistry is a very important determinant of whether you get into a good medical school. It's the most common science taken in combination with biology for students wishing to endeavour medical studies. That said, they'd usually take on any student who have two sciences. Biology is mostly memorising work so if you can show you are clever enough to handle the later workload, they'd take you.

I have pretty much the same problem. I love the biology aspect because it's so easily relatable to your own life. When it comes to chemistry, though, it's a different story because chemistry deals with topics that are much harder to apply than biology. Plus there is more memorization and abstract concepts that make it a bit more difficult and math-like. Is this what makes chemistry a turn off for you too?

I have pretty much the same problem. I love the biology aspect because it's so easily relatable to your own life. When it comes to chemistry, though, it's a different story because chemistry deals with topics that are much harder to apply than biology. Plus there is more memorization and abstract concepts that make it a bit more difficult and math-like. Is this what makes chemistry a turn off for you too?

Yeah it definitely is! I loove biology because I can see whatever I study in the everyday world! But the chemistry aspect is a bit more difficult because of its abstract-ness like you said. Right now we're taking the chemistry of life section of the syllabus and its not so bad, but I'm taking HL Chemistry as well and I'm not enjoying that at all. I guess I'll have to see when I start studying pre-med!

Thanks to everyone else who responded to my question!

I also want to further in medicine. I took Bio HL and Chemistry HL. I love them both. But the thing is, I always get less mark in Bio compared to chemistry. It seems that my chemistry mark is better (at least for me it is better) . But I read Bio a lot. I think for Chemistry, you need to do more exercise. Past years is good.

Good luck in your chemistry and I have to work hard for BIo... ;)

I have the exact same problem. My Bio is very good, chemistry always a 5 or a 6.

What I try to do this, is to link whatever i learn in chemistry with something in biology. All the characteristics of water and stuff, we take those both in chem and in bio.

Im majoring in some medical aspect anyways, probably medical biotechnology, so chemistry is important to some extent I guess. So in medecine, like 'inthemaking', whose more knowledgable, said, is definatly important.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, chemistry is very important in medicine. Drugs, chemical interactions and all that jazz. I'm in pre-med right now and while physics and maths are not mandatory, biology and chemistry are.

I screwed myself over by taking HL maths physics and Chemistry. Couldn't take Biology because our school has a timetable clash with the chemistry and we all know that both are needed for medical school. I am having problems with applying to UCL and St. Andrews because I lack biology at a SL or HL.

Can anyone help me out with this by giving me a suggestion on what I can do? Similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to sit for an exam without taking the class? If IB allows it, you could take it upon yourself to learn the material, and I've heard there are some great study aides for the exam, and your school's bio teacher might be sympathetic. I'm assuming you're graduating next year?

Other than that, I have no idea. Sorry :/

I screwed myself over by taking HL maths physics and Chemistry. Couldn't take Biology because our school has a timetable clash with the chemistry and we all know that both are needed for medical school. I am having problems with applying to UCL and St. Andrews because I lack biology at a SL or HL.

Can anyone help me out with this by giving me a suggestion on what I can do? Similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

Bio SL isn't difficult at all, you could probably learn it by yourself just by obtaining the IB syllabus, course companion or study guide. I'm not sure if this is permissible (to write the exam without having taken the course), but if it is, definitely go for it.

Bio SL isn't difficult at all, you could probably learn it by yourself just by obtaining the IB syllabus, course companion or study guide. I'm not sure if this is permissible (to write the exam without having taken the course), but if it is, definitely go for it.

Thanks for reassuring me. Biology was my easiest subject so it shouldn't be a struggle. Should have taken Bio at HL and dropped maths to SL. No point in having economics for me anyway but thats my problem.

Haha. Honestly, I'd love to take econ, although history is pretty important to know. I know you're determined to go into the medical field, but I'm sure all of your classes will help you at some point in the future :D

Thats true. Knowledge learned is knowledge gained. Just really pisses me off that the school timetable clashed. Its a prestigious school as well.

Well as the saying goes, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

Maybe you'll be thankful for it in the future? It's hard not to rant about that kind of stuff. In fact, venting your feelings is pretty therapeutic. :D

Perhaps you'll want to be a biomedical engineer?

Also, with biology, it's not a human anatomy class--it's really broad. At our school, we are forced to choose between HL chem and HL bio (and there's no SL for these courses). All the people who want to go into the medical field have a hard time deciding which course will help them out more. Usually, chemistry seems more logical.

• 3 weeks later...

You really should try and be good or at least have some sort of interest in chemistry if you want to go into medicine.

This is because although you won't directly use chemistry on the job, medicals school primarily look at two subjects when accepting students.

-biology

-chemistry

if you really dislike chemistry, maybe medicine is not for you?

Either way, do something you will do well in.