If I Want To Study Medicine...

saritaoel

This topics just brought up a question I've had in mind for some reason.

I've just applied to IB and I start IB I in September. I want to study medicine in university so my class choices are:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, and Math

SL: English A1, Arabic A2, and History

But I was wondering, is it okay for me to take History going into medicine, or should I take Econ instead? Thanks :P

This topics just brought up a question I've had in mind for some reason.

I've just applied to IB and I start IB I in September. I want to study medicine in university so my class choices are:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, and Math

SL: English A1, Arabic A2, and History

But I was wondering, is it okay for me to take History going into medicine, or should I take Econ instead? Thanks :P

I don't think it really matters in the end since med programs don't care what social science you have.

Err I don't think that either will affect your medicinal career. I know that in the US, history is a core subject and we're required to take it in secondary and post-secondary school (university). Economics isn't a requirement in college. I don't know about UAE, but if econ is a requirement in most colleges, then I suggest you take it. If both or neither required, then pick whichever you have more of an interest in. You might just end up doing your EE or something in that field. I'm doing History HL (like I said, it's a requirement), but I'm taking a university-level econ class as an extra elective because I think both are important.

Specifically, for Cambridge med school, you'd need to have 3 HLs at 7/7/6, 2 of which must be Bio, Math, or Chem (I THINK... not too sure now. :P). I guess that kind of stresses the importance of chemistry. However, if you're not good at it, it's good to not spend time fretting, and instead spend time working harder at it to improve. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, and it's important to focus on those weaknesses well. Hey, perhaps they'll even become strengths one day. All in time. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly, both biology and chemistry are very important. You'll not be able to understand the full essence of the drugs and stuff without both subjects. Though, if you'll get a passing mark for both of these subjects and will be accepted to a medicine course, I doubt that you'll have any serious problems with studying efficiency. That's because studies in the university are more integrated and you don't have to do that "industrial chemistry" part as in the IB course.

As for me, I did both subjects (as you can see from my signature) . Biology was not too difficult, but Chemistry gave me a lot of trouble in the studies. And yes, I'm applying for Medicine (my success will be known after getting the exam results, though deep inside my heart I feel that I'll pass) :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

Specifically, for Cambridge med school, you'd need to have 3 HLs at 7/7/6, 2 of which must be Bio, Math, or Chem (I THINK... not too sure now. XD). I guess that kind of stresses the importance of chemistry. However, if you're not good at it, it's good to not spend time fretting, and instead spend time working harder at it to improve. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, and it's important to focus on those weaknesses well. Hey, perhaps they'll even become strengths one day. All in time. XD

My friend got offered 7/7/6 @ Cambridge but the sevens had to be Biology and Chemistry, for the record.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Chemistry is the second most important subject after biology but if you're going to take the MCAT Physics and Math is very important too.

Is physics a crucial part of the MCAT? What if you did not do IB physics in high school, will it affect your chances on the MCAT?

Well Chemistry is the second most important subject after biology but if you're going to take the MCAT Physics and Math is very important too.

Is physics a crucial part of the MCAT? What if you did not do IB physics in high school, will it affect your chances on the MCAT?

I'm studying for my MCATs right now and there is a physical sciences part of the MCAT which consists of physics and general chem. And yes you do need to have significant physics knowledge for the MCAT but most of it seems to be focused on theory rather than calculations and you don't delve too deeply into the harder topics (AC circuits, magnetism, nuclear physics etc).

Take Econ over history. MaNY universities that I have explored in the US for medicine say that econ is an elective to explore to make you look even better ofr pre-med track. History is not important, at all to medicine. I hope no one posts here that someone who majors in history can go to med school, because we all know that. for the sake of pre-med track, econ is suggested as one of the topics to consider, or classes, of higher caliber that will aid medical studies.

Math + chem + bio is the way to go. Make sure you study NOW for things. You might be fortunate enough to skip a lot of credits, and land yourself in such a good position to the point where you are taking a plethora of biology related, or rather pre-med electives, like immunology ++ classes.

This type of resume will have you looking at some superior grad schools should you prove to be a 3.9 GPA + student. This is kind of the plan I am on.

and physics is as important for the MCAT as much as biology or chemistry.

You will find that the the guidelines of the MCAT or the syllabus/assessments statements from their website, consist of some particular topics that are not familiar to the IB syllabus. This is why you will need to still take chem classes in college, and physics + biology. that is, while you may earn your credit from IB, there are still things you will find not covered by our courses that are on the MCAT. And this will be compensated through further classes. I am not talking about the tsunami of the organic chem that is on MCAT, or the importance of the class. But general chem in details that IB doesnt focus on, as an example.

General guidelines for pre-med track:

1 year of each: Organic chem, biology, chemistry general, physics, math.

Then you start to stack on other courses.

Edited by biochem

Chemistry as well as biology are certainly the subjects you should be great at. I don't really know if colleges ask you to take them but when it's time to get a job and start working, you'll be constantly using chemistry!!(and of course biology)

I know it from personal experience, as both of my parents are doctors and my sister is in medical school :D

I dont think in practical and useful terms is a wise decision to think of pre-med track. So many students want to take up studies in many subjects which would maybe give them a slight disadvantage in college considering they are taking time away perhaps from a valuable med school course like biology, chemistry and humanities. However I slightly disagree with this. IF you study what you like, no matter how difficult it may be or distracting, it will help your GPA since you are more likely to earn a higher grade and boost GPA.

Though I would say, engineer majors...have the most difficult time getting into med school :D

Natural Sciences are not that important to know outside of these fields of work. You dont take physics in college unless u really want to or have a specific career goal.

• 9 months later...

Almost every med school in the UK asks for Chemistry and Biology with at least one to HL, and will expect a minimum of 6 in each. For example Nottingham asks for one 6 and one 7 out of Biology and Chemistry. However depending on how much you can afford St George's in Grenada only ask for a 5 in Chemistry and 32 overall, compared to around 36-39 in other med schools.