How to write a Math Studies Internal Assesment

Jillian

Hi i'm new to this whole IB thing. My school started IB just last year so my class is the second to be going through it. Basically, my teachers are not all into IB yet, so they just tell us to write the essay and don't tell us how. Is there a template that can be used to write the math studies assessment because i know for the ITGS one we have to write Criterion A, B, C etc. So what are the titles for each section in this essay. I tried to use the Criterions they have is but it doesn't make sense to use it. My friend used Title, Statement of Task, research question, procedure, definition of variables, sample population, and then conclusion, but this does not seem very organized and the essay does not make much sense. Can someone help please?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IB Math Studies Project Assessment Criteria

*from the mathematical studies SL: internal assessment-teacher support material from the IBO*

Criterion A: Introduction
Achievement level Descriptor
0 The student does not produce a clear statement of task.
1 The student produces a clear statement of the task.
2 The student produces a title, a clear statement of the task and a clear description of the plan.

Criterion B: Information/measurement
0 The student does not collect relevant information or generate relevant measurements.
1 The student collects relevant information or generates relevant measurements.
2 The relevant information collected, or set of measurements generated by the student, is organized in a form appropriate for analysis or is sufficient in both quality and quantity.
3 The relevant information collected, or set of measurements generated by the student, is organized in a form appropriate for analysis and is sufficient in both quality and quantity.

Criterion C: Mathematical Processes
0 The student does not attempt to carry out any mathematical processes.
1 The student carries out simple mathematical processes.
2 The simple mathematical processes are mostly or completely correct, or the student makes an attempt to use at least one sophisticated process.
3 The student carries out at least one sophisticated process, and all the processes used are mostly or completely accurate.
4 The student carries out at least one sophisticated process; the process used are mostly or completely accurate and all the processes used are relevant.
5 The student accurately carries out a number of relevant sophisticated processes.

Criterion D: Interpretation of results
0 The student does not produce any interpretations or conclusions.
1 The student produces at least one interpretation or conclusion.
2 The student produces at least one interpretation and/or conclusion that is consistent with the mathematical processes used.
3 The student produces a comprehensive discussion of interpretations and conclusions that are consistent with the mathematical processes used.

Criterion E: Validity
0 The student does not comment on the mathematical processes used or the interpretations/conclusions made.
1 The student has made an attempt to comment on either the mathematical processes used or the interpretations/conclusions made.
2 The student has made a serious attempt to comment on both the mathematical processes used and the interpretations/conclusions made.

Criterion F: Structure and Communication
0 The student has made no attempt to structure the project.
1 The student has made some attempt to structure the project or has used appropriate notation and terminology.
2 The student has made some attempt to structure the project and has used appropriate notation and terminology.
3 The student has produced a project that is well structured and communicated in a coherent manner.

Criterion G: Commitment
0 The student showed little or no commitment.
1 The student showed satisfactory commitment.
2 The student showed full commitment.

• 1 year later...

Amalie, read the subject guide. All the practical information you need is in the guide.

This is what it says about length:

[indent=1]The project should not normally exceed 2,000 words, excluding diagrams, graphs, appendices and
bibliography. However, it is the quality of the mathematics and the processes used and described that
is important, rather than the number of words written.[/indent]
[indent=1](p. 37)[/indent]