Music Extended Essay - Should I?

CommeDesEnfants

I'm currently thinking of doing my extended essay in Music. IB Music SL is offered at my school, but I had to take Chem SL instead, and as there were only 1 or 2 applicants, the course didn't even run for my year. My coordinator seems to be partially okay with me doing my EE in Music, but I've never really formally taken it in an institution. As I play piano and live in Canada, I've had to undergo various theory examinations and deal with a lot of theoretical components, such as intermediate harmony and an overview of history and an in-depth look of everything up to the Romantic era. I'm attracted to the idea of music, but I don't want to sacrifice my chances of 3 beautiful bonus marks by writing an extermely lackluster essay because I haven't taken the course at IB level.

[b]Basically, what would an EE in Music entail, and really... should I? [/b]

Well I have basically the same theoretical background as you and I decided to do a Music EE.

Was it the best choice? Probably not. My EE is due in about half a year, and I still can not find a GOOD topic that I can write well about. Researching is quite hard. The two EE meetings I've had so far with my counsellor, I've come up with great ideas but then when I try to research; NOTHING. I mean, if you have great topic in your mind already, know great sites for researching and books, then you're set.

You'd need to go through both the IB Music syllabus to see what they've covered throughout the 2 years, as well as the IB marking criteria for Music to make sure that you don't write about something that would make you lose a lot of marks.

If you have any idea about the topic you want to research, check the guidelines now and decide if it fits in. You're going to have to theoretical elements from the IB syllabus, which is where most students fail at. Last year someone wrote an EE under "Peace and Conflict Studies", when it should really have been submitted under History. They didn't use any peace and conflict theories, because obviously they knew none. I think his grade was a C or a D.

But that doesn't mean you can't do one in Music. Be prepared to change your question lots of times, or to change the subject altogether. Everyone in my class changed theirs at least once.

Well, I got the "syllabus" for the Music EE, and after some consideration and advice from here, I've decided against it and gone for biology instead. I'm not really trained to analyze music or do the course in the "IB" way, and I don't want to get like a C or something because of my incompetency in the subject. :ashika:

However, if I were to do it, I would've done something relating to Moonlight Sonata, since I'm playing it. =( Ah well. Time for microbiology! :ashika: