Plagiarism?

Luke Jr

Hi, this is my first post here.

I wanted to know if someone knows how is the plagiarism detected (Extended Essays, TOK, etc). I mean, i suppose it is a software, but how could it work?

And anyone knows if the school is fined because their students are accused by plagiarism? I know what happens to the student, but not to the school...

Thanks all, and sorry for my english if it's not okay

Luke

Edited by Luke Jr

yeah but in my school happened that two students were found with plagiarism, but the teachers didn't know about it. the IB discovered this.. and it's inhuman to be "guessing" if a student wrote this or that, having like thousands and thousands of EEs, TOK essays. But if there was a software, would the schools want to have it?

yeah but in my school happened that two students were found with plagiarism, but the teachers didn't know about it. the IB discovered this.. and it's inhuman to be "guessing" if a student wrote this or that, having like thousands and thousands of EEs, TOK essays. But if there was a software, would the schools want to have it?

Wtf would it be inhuman? If the teacher suspects a student of plagiarism, then the teacher should 1) run it through plagiarism-detection software and/or 2) talk to the student and ask them about the essay-writing process etc etc. Nothing inhumane at all.

i say it would be inhuman to a IB corrector, having hundreds and hundreds of essays to correct, know if an student (REMEMBER THAT THE CORRECTOR DO NOT KNOW THE STUDENTS FROM WHICH ESSAYS HE IS CORRECTING) DID sthing with plagirism, because the teacher didn't notice the plagirism thing..

but anyways, when the plagirism is detected, it's the IB who detects it, not the corrector (that happened in my school)

Edited by Luke Jr

okay i see what your point is. but how does turnitin works? you need the .doc file yes or yes?

i assure you that our coordinator didn't put the works there, and some month later the ib came back with some plagirism stuff.. and they didn't have the .doc files.. only the printed ones

i don't think they re-write every essay and submit them later, don't u think?

okay i see what your point is. but how does turnitin works? you need the .doc file yes or yes?

i assure you that our coordinator didn't put the works there, and some month later the ib came back with some plagirism stuff.. and they didn't have the .doc files.. only the printed ones

i don't think they re-write every essay and submit them later, don't u think?

You don't need a .doc file, well basically you summit it to turnitin and it checks for any plagiarized materials from around the web. This include websites,pre-written essays from schools and such...

I would say that you have to prove your idea or at least give some decent examples to support it. When you link it together with the examples, it would obviously be clear that it's your idea.

It would of course seem suspicious if you have exactly same idea as well as examples/sources as some of the works available.

o.k. i agree with that