What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

And I'm facing a problem for service hours because there isn't much I can do at my school, so I have to somehow get an agreement to work at an orphanage or hospital or something...I'll probably end up doing that during summer.

Help us out with the yearbook a bit (you could even give us simple suggestions) and we'll get the teacher to add some hours for you. It counts as creativity, action, AND service. :worship:

Guest mr_whatsisname

umm...my year focused on the relationship between us IB students and the elderly....i come from a Greek IB school and i found this quite interesting... it is true that most of us teenagers do not have the opportunity to socialize with a lot of people of an older age and thats why it is a great experience focusing our CAS on that:)...

We actually learned a whole lot of things, and it was much more fun than what we originally imagined...

Wooo for CAS:P

Hm... When i was starting the IB I was sure that I was gonna hate(HATE) CAS, since I screwed up so bad in pre-IB... Now, a couple of months later, I realize that I spend a lot more time doing CAS than doing homework, since I love my activities so much... Strange. Anyways:

Creativity:

long term: Starting up a performance group that is specialized in fire performance... I think I got about 40 hrs for this, which totally rocks if i get through with it. Of course, i probably spent more than 80 hrs on it, but 40 would still be great. We had to show our creativity projects at our school last week, in front of all the other DP1 students, and it would had been great, if it wasn't for the rain...

short term: I made an ad for my Service thing in a free magazine for high school students.. It was kind of boring, actually...

Action:

Circus training. Woho, how I really love playing around with things and people! This is probably as muck creativity as it is action, but my coordinator seems to think that it's ok, and so do I. Circus is so much fun...

Service:

Finding out what youth in our city thinks about our society and giving them a chance to communicate with politicians... Roughly...

At the moment, we are working on a project that is going to be a online portal for events and such where young people can easily find events that fit their interests and age, which I find a lot more fun than what we are usually doing... I will hopefully work more with this and less with the boring stuff next year...

Aaaaanyhow, I sort of need a new Creativity project for next year... Snooping around for inspiration...

well...I have only started 3 months ago and I have about 30 hours so far. In the beginning it was going pretty fast,because I had a lot of free time,but now I can see it's getting harder.

I don't worry about action,because that's something I do for myself,not for CAS and I'm sure I won't stop.I play volleyball and go swimming,so this is the part where I relax a lot.And there are also a lot of hiking trips organized by the school,and you can get 16 hours in a weekend,so it's ok.

Service is a problem because I can only do it in school,because I live in Austria and I don't speak German very well yet.I worked

in the school library for about 10 hours and I am also helping a smaller girl with math.

For creativity I only have 4 hours,which I got in a workshop with handicapped children.And I also signed up for a video workshop,and the teacher promised us about 20 hours on a project.

I can't say I dislike the whole idea of CAS.In fact,I would love it IF I had the time to be more involved in it.

Edited by monica

Guest iber2468

Service

Volunteering at a lot of firms, events, marathons, camps, and festivals.

Creative

Web designing. I "charge" at least 10 creative hours every time I design a site, it's great. I usually spend more on it though, too much of a perfectionist.

I took a playwriting class last year, wow, what an experience

Athletics

Intramurals

Curling

Table tennis

Golf

Swimming

Skiing

Track

• 2 weeks later...

Alrite guys.....

to me....it seems like your school makes CAS very easy for you because you can collect as many hours as you want from an activity.

For example, in my school, i did the volleybal season on which i like spent more than 60 hours......but our CAS program only restricts us to get 20 hours max because they want us to try more activities.....

So, wat do u guys have for your CAS system......i think if u guys do more than 20 hrs of sports or creativity....u get that amount.....right? but our CAS coordinator only allows max 20!!

Whats your opinion about this?

Guest whatever

My service hours were spent in a shelter for animals place , children with disabilities institute , and helping out for parent's night in school

My action hours were the easiest to get done , i just joined every team throughout the year and managed to get that done . Football , basketball , volleyball , and squash .

My creativity hours were spent painting a set for a play , helping an elementary art class , and painting rooms around the school .

my service hours need to be done ! 10 hours left and i'm done !

Guest iber2468
Alrite guys.....

to me....it seems like your school makes CAS very easy for you because you can collect as many hours as you want from an activity.

For example, in my school, i did the volleybal season on which i like spent more than 60 hours......but our CAS program only restricts us to get 20 hours max because they want us to try more activities.....

So, wat do u guys have for your CAS system......i think if u guys do more than 20 hrs of sports or creativity....u get that amount.....right? but our CAS coordinator only allows max 20!!

Whats your opinion about this?

We are restricted to 40 hours per activity, but I think that's sensible because even though IB requires 150 hours, our school wants 300 hours.

It's a good system I think... there really isn't a point if you get like 100 hours from filing papers at a law firm or something.

I think 150 hours is hardly enough... 200+ hours of service is adequate.

I am currently doing:

Creativity - Film appreciation (haha), Debating, Yearbook Editor

Action - Pool, Soccer, Basketball, Touch Rugby, Badminton, Table Tennis

Service - Habitat for humanity, Environmental Concerns, Peer tutoring

Only half a year of IB and I am on:

Creativity: 22 (actually way more due to film, but I was reluctant to use this activity as it is kinda dodgy)

Action: 54

Service: 52.5

Edited by Forester

• 3 weeks later...

For creativity I played in a jazz band, a quick way to get the creativity hours done. Also went to a jazz festival, that was a real hours-booster.

A single season of basketball was enough for the fifty hours.

As for service, I volunteered at the Oxfam Shop. I would suggest it to anyone who is having trouble with their service hours... anywhere in the world!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I thin to find action and creativity project was easy. Since action, u just need to have something with sports to do so u just need to attend to some sport clubs. Creativity I have start to draw and the aim is have a art gallery.

But the service project was a bit hard. According to my CAS co u must do something which make the world good. So that means no resturang jobs etc.