What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Action: Worked on an organic farm this summer, track & field

Creativity: Also my organic farm experience, guitar lessons

Service: Random community service opportunities, I'm tutoring somebody in French

**I highly suggest 1 week of unpaid farm work or so which could take care of your missing C and S hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Creativity: It's the easiest one for me because I was already in two school bands before IB, both of which add up to 3.5 hours per week! There is also a program at my school that I'm thinking of joining soon where you make teddy bears to give to sick children at a hospital (this also counts for service).

Action: Just doing tennis at the moment. I want to join some environmental projects, like planting trees (which would also be my service). I'm still trying to think of some other things (everyone's replies have given me some good ideas... thanks!!)

Service: I joined my school's Amnesty International group. That's all so far! I'm still looking for other things :D

I'm doing this thing called Reach for the Top for creative hours. It totally sucks that you could only start obtaining your CAS hours in the summer after grade 10 because that was when I quit piano. T_T All those years for nada. I also use some of my lifeguarding/instructing courses for creative hours because you use you mind and you have to be... creative. 8D

I swim for action hours and I'm going to do Relay for Life :] It's this run for cancer and it's for a whole night =D I want to try to get on the soccer and tennis team for more hours.

For service hours, I just basically look after the kids at my church and volunteer as a teaching assistance at Chinese school :]

I still find it insane that some people get over 500 hours for CAS o___o;;

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really enjoy the CAS program. My school doesn't really offer many activities. We can go to a retirement home down the road from our school, or participate in activites that different clubs do.

Creativity: I don't have very many Creativity hours. I get some for doing Habitat for Hummanity meetings, but lately I have been going to the Elementary School to help teachers set up classrooms or help clean up. My problem is that I'm not in Drama or Art, so I don't spend very much time being creative. Does anyone have any ideas for someone like me?

Action: This only one the school really helps us out with. I already have 40 hours for soccer, from attending practices and games. The last ten I can spend doing anything. I can go horse back riding, take a yoga or spinning class at a gym, or even sell pizza at school.

Service: Service is my favorite one. I'm really into community service. I'm the president of the Habitat for Humanity club at my school, so I go to all the building brigades and events. I also attend a girl's orphanage once a month. This next month we are going to paint some of the houses and replace plumbing and electricity. I think that this is the most rewarding part of CAS.

i've done an assortment of activities. i am the vice presdient of src so i get a lot of service from that, i also do therapy groups with children from abusive families, i teach social skills to children who are newly released from our detention centres. i also do ballroom dancing with my boyfriend and i run an environmental group! so i'd done a lot of bits and pieces!

what component of CAS does everybody find hard? crativity action or service?

Creativity: Various jazz groups (at least like 75 hrs last year), a concert band and ballroom dancing :P

Action: ballroom also counted some, tae kwon do.

Service: Random service opportunites, volunteered at recycling centre.

A friend of mine's CAS activities list was so funny. Basically all his hours came from doing cadets (he's training in the air force). He got creativity from planning certain activities and from the marching band, action from training and camps etc, and service he got from taking teaching roles over new cadets :P

• 5 weeks later...
Guest syrianstar

Hi everyone, I hope you're well!

I simply added this new topic so that everyone can share their favourite CAS moments with others and also so that people who are behind on CAS hours (like me <_< ) can get some ideas on what to do!

One of my favourite CAS activities was organising a charity week where the IB CAS students did a presentation, a stall and other activities to raise money for charity. It was really successful and very very enjoyable ;)

Looking forward to reading what everyone has to say!

Hi everyone, I hope you're well!

I simply added this new topic so that everyone can share their favourite CAS moments with others and also so that people who are behind on CAS hours (like me <_< ) can get some ideas on what to do!

One of my favourite CAS activities was organising a charity week where the IB CAS students did a presentation, a stall and other activities to raise money for charity. It was really successful and very very enjoyable XD

Looking forward to reading what everyone has to say!

Hmm, well my favorite CAS activity (for creativity) would have to be Youth in Government! ;)

I also like debate, and model UN (which I sadly don't have time for anymore :( )

For action hours I do DANCE! :( Which is insanely fun.

Oh, and gymnastics is also great for action hours.

For service hours I volunteer at the local court house, interning for a judge, and I also work at the no-kill, non-profit humane soceity. The animals are adorable and a ton of fun! :(

My CAS project for next year is going to be to read poetry to kindergarteners to help them learn to read and learn about poetry at the same time. Because stupid FCAT and NRTs will later result in focusing only on subjects they'll be tested in. (Plus the project made sense because I'm the founder and president of poetry club :D )

And a ton of other random things that only get me about 5 hours each. But these are my favorite. :)

Guest syrianstar
I have finished my CAS hours already in my first year. I was just wondering: how many hours of CAS do you guys need because we have to finish at least 150 hrs!!

rohit man seriously don't ask - I have such a loooong way to go! What with all the home works and tests and essays that the teachers are giving us I hardly have time to eat! You'd think our IB exams were this year :blum:

But then again Bahrain is such a small island there's not much to do anyway *shrug*

So what type of activities did u do to finish ur CAS hours?? Share some with us!

heeyy

i can tell you my worst CAS activity was when we volunteered in the batelco for family violence ---- the woen working cut our hours in half for some reason and she had a really bad attitude!!!

As for my best i dont know ---- but one of the best is MUN i love MUN's

if anyone is interested we are planning the first annual bahrain international model united nations probably in February of 2009 sooo come and join us to make it an enjoyable and productive experience!!

I do a project called Personal Energy Transportation (PET) which builds wheelchairs for people in Africa. I enjoy using power tools, so it's a day of fun work with hours gained when it's all over. :blum:

I also volunteer at a nursing home, but that's not about the fun.

that sounds like fun! and the cause is so cute!

lol and i guess all the CAS activities we do are fun =P i wouldnt bother doing it if it wasnt =P the one we're currently working on is teaching little kids how to dance and its hilarious! and not to mention fun!

Some years ago I remember some people got together and started collecting soda cans (Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc) from the school community. They sent it to an NGO that uses cans to make wheelchairs, and got service hours.

My favorite CAS activity is certainly dancing! However, we have a "movie club" at our school where we study film techniques, watch movies, compare+contrast, and try to create our own clips. It's also a nice way to get CAS hours, I think =)

I struggled with service a lot... for that, I'd say try to get in contact with a local NGO and volunteer on something you think you might enjoy. I wasn't really looking forward to service because my option was kinda narrowed down to working with orphan kids and I don't really enjoy all the kid screaming-and-running, but I actually learned something from it.

Clue: my IB CAS coordinator said it's better if you don't use one single activity for all 50 hours of action, for example.

Edited by Karasu

However, we have a "movie club" at our school where we study film techniques, watch movies, compare+contrast, and try to create our own clips. It's also a nice way to get CAS hours, I think =)

Quick question since I'm curious: When you are involved in film studies, do you think about them when you are watching a movie casually with your friends? I am interested in learning the techniques, but every friend that has taken classes to learn them has always said that it ruins movies for them. They say that they only think about the camera angles, etc, and not about enjoying the movie.

I'm still on the fence, but that's a very interesting creative hour opportunity.