IB Music HL

Zakiyyah

I take Music HL and my school uses [i]Listening to Music[/i] by Craig Wright. Unfortunately, I don't think the book really helps me in doing music analysis. All it does is introduce what the four music periods are. It is good to know more about each period, but the book doesn't really give a lot of good examples. I understand what the book says, but when it comes to doing music analysis, I don't know how to apply the knowledge/recognise the stuff on the scores. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what book I should probably refer to in order to improve my music analysis skills? We're currently teaching Romantic, but apparently in our end-of-year exams this year, we're going to be tested as if we were sitting for the real exam and I doubt we'd cover a lot of different music periods/genres before that... :rant:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Zakiyyah' post='38559' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:42 PM']I take Music HL and my school uses [i]Listening to Music[/i] by Craig Wright. Unfortunately, I don't think the book really helps me in doing music analysis. All it does is introduce what the four music periods are. It is good to know more about each period, but the book doesn't really give a lot of good examples. I understand what the book says, but when it comes to doing music analysis, I don't know how to apply the knowledge/recognise the stuff on the scores. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what book I should probably refer to in order to improve my music analysis skills? We're currently teaching Romantic, but apparently in our end-of-year exams this year, we're going to be tested as if we were sitting for the real exam and I doubt we'd cover a lot of different music periods/genres before that... XD [/quote]

We use History of Western Music 7th Edition---Grout---it's published by W.W. Norton--it's expensive but it takes you through each period and musical form.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...