Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vintagedream

What does "Baccalaureate" mean ?

"Examen" in Swedish, specifically for the level we're at (17-19ish yeargroup).

In France the equivalent to A-levels, IB, high school etc. is called "baccalauréat", which I think is the origin of the word used in English. It's basically just a type of qualification.

It's more like a fancy word (of french origin) for diploma, more specifically the high school diploma.

This is quite interesting. I was unaware of what it was until now... And I've been in IB for seven years now! :/

:P

How do you pronounce it? this has stumped me for such a long time. Makes one feel retarded when you can't pronounce the name of the programme you are doing.

Edited by Ezak

How do you pronounce it? this has stumped me for such a long time. Makes one feel retarded when you can't pronounce the name of the programme you are doing.

Back-lah-rette is how I've always pronounced it.

Hmm, funny I should stumble upon this thread today. I was just wondering what the word meant earlier and looked it up in the Oxford dictionary:

1 an examination intended to qualify successful candidates for higher education

They even have a separate entry for 'International Baccalaureate'.

a set of examinations intended to qualify successful candidates for higher education in any of several countries.

I've known about the IB for at least four years and I never knew what the second word meant until today... :/

Back-lah-rette is how I've always pronounced it.

Oh? I always pronounced it as 'back-ah-law-ree-aht'.

By the way the Oxford dictionary says it's pronounced /ˌbakəˈlɔːrɪət/. Nope, can't decipher that :P

Edited by ninety
1 person likes this

By the way the Oxford dictionary says it's pronounced /ˌbakəˈlɔːrɪət/. Nope, can't decipher that :P

back-ah-law-rih-aht :)

1 person likes this

I still can't spell that. :P I just thought it was a fancy word for bachelor (like a diploma).

it means a painful two or three years of your life

Haha, true.

& Lots of people I know who've been in the system for 5, 6 years still can't spell it. No big deal.

Something derived from the concept of graduation and class, but all I remember is that the word doesn't see much translation. Baccalaureate is pronounced almost the same in all latin and germanic languages.

Baccalaureate in swedish is a synonym to ''kandidatexamen''

Nope, it's the equivalent of "studentexamen". "Kandidatexamen" is the same as a bachelor's degree which is a university degree.

How is it supposed to be pronounced? Everybody pronounces it differently!

In English, baccalaureate is pronounced: (I'm going to use Swedish characters to spell it phonetically because it might make the sounds easier to understand, i always relate English words into Swedish alphabet if I'm learning pronunciations, it makes more sense to me that way) ba-ka-lå-reatt

From one swede to another, I hope that helps :)