What does "Baccalaureate" mean ?

vintagedream

"Examen" in Swedish, specifically for the level we're at (17-19ish yeargroup).

In France the equivalent to A-levels, IB, high school etc. is called "baccalauréat", which I think is the origin of the word used in English. It's basically just a type of qualification.

• 2 years later...

Hmm, funny I should stumble upon this thread today. I was just wondering what the word meant earlier and looked it up in the Oxford dictionary:

1 an examination intended to qualify successful candidates for higher education

They even have a separate entry for 'International Baccalaureate'.

a set of examinations intended to qualify successful candidates for higher education in any of several countries.

I've known about the IB for at least four years and I never knew what the second word meant until today... :/

How do you pronounce it? this has stumped me for such a long time. Makes one feel retarded when you can't pronounce the name of the programme you are doing.

Back-lah-rette is how I've always pronounced it.

Oh? I always pronounced it as 'back-ah-law-ree-aht'.

By the way the Oxford dictionary says it's pronounced /ˌbakəˈlɔːrɪət/. Nope, can't decipher that :P

Edited by ninety
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do you pronounce it? this has stumped me for such a long time. Makes one feel retarded when you can't pronounce the name of the programme you are doing.

In English, baccalaureate is pronounced: (I'm going to use Swedish characters to spell it phonetically because it might make the sounds easier to understand, i always relate English words into Swedish alphabet if I'm learning pronunciations, it makes more sense to me that way) ba-ka-lå-reatt

From one swede to another, I hope that helps :)