Help from school librarians on EE

Lorie Lopez

I am a high school librarian at an IB world school. I am a fairly new librarian and have only been at this school for 1.5 years. I am getting ready to do several sessions in the library with our 11 grade students who are starting their EE. I plan to do sessions of subject, topic, and good research questions. I will also talk about databases and other research methods. My questions to you all is, how involved were the librarians in your school when you started working on the EE? Did they do any wonderful sessions you remember and could share with me? I want to make these meaning lessons and helpful to the students. I will definitly tell them about this forum site. Any information you can share or think would be helpful for me to pass along to these students would be helpful.
Thanks!
Lorie Lopez

Oh, how interesting! I'll try to add some of my thoughts. :P

We unfortunately did not have any official help from our school librarians when starting to work on your EEs, even though it certainly would have been useful. I feel that especially searching for information efficiently - using databases or books in a good way - would have helped me so much at the early stages of my work. I also think it might be good for the students if you point out some methods to keep track of where you got information from for the references and bibliographies, and maybe show them how to find information on how to write footnotes and bibliographies.

Instead of official "classes" with the librarians, I had the chance to get help from one of ours because my supervisor asked her something about one of the authors I was writing on; that way she helped me get other help, which was very, very useful. So I guess telling the students that you're there to help would be very useful for them too? Things like finding biographical information on authors, for example, can be rather intimidating for a beginner.

I hope your students appreciate you! It's an excellent opportunity for them.

Thank you so much for replying. I do have a "How to research" tab on our school library webpage, which has lots of information on getting organized with starting your research, source cards, and bibliographic information. Our students have also been encouraged to make PLN (personal learning networks) to keep all of their information organized electronically on their laptop computers as they go. I hope to make the lessons engaging and interesting to the students and helping take away the stress that so many students feel with getting started on the EE.

I definitely agree with Hyperbole. Luckily, my EE doesn't need that much source material, but if I would have needed a lot of sources, I would have felt really lost. It's hard to find good, reliable first hand source material, so your students should be happy for you taking the initiative!

We had no help on the EE or research as such, but we did get a good booklet on how to write a Bibliography which was invaluable.

I think I would also have appreciated some information about online/general journals which aren't generally available in libraries. When I finally came across them they were superb places to find information.

Edited by sandwich