EE Topic in Math - advice needed.

msubr1

ah thank you so so much
even my teacher suggested the same thing too
here is my modified version of the topic
A comparison between the advantages and disadvantages of asymmetric and symmetric ciphers in two cryptosystems, namely email encryption and smart cards

for the maths essay, for this topic, i can only show the mathematics involved in only asymmetric ciphers.
is it okay if my maths ee is more like a normal essay with a lot of words and a bit of equations?

coz the guidebook said that i should be looking at how maths is applied in the real world and the beauty of maths
they didnt say much about the amount of equations that we should have

Well your RQ is too long now. Just drop the two cryptosystems. In your introduction, you can state that the research question will be dealt through looking at these cryptosystems.

It isn't necessary to have all equations and no words, but you'll want to have some calculations in there as well, not just equations. Words should form the backbone of your essay, but you'll have to justify them mathematically.

thank you for your comments
but i am UNABLE to do much mathematics on the above topic
my essay becomes focused on the applications of mathematics to real world
i will get really good marks in that criteria but the criteria that wants mathematical things in it, i dont think i will score that well....

does anyone have an idea on how my ee should be?
should it be more focused on the applications of maths in real life
or something with heaps of workings and proofs that dont really matter?

is it ok if the mathematics that i do just explains the topic but doesnt contribute to the main essay? since the main essay deals with the applications of mathematics

thanks heaps

Your mathematics must contribute to the main essay. The application you use should involve actual calculations that show how you apply the mathematics. Unfortunately the IB wants you to have an essay that proves claims mathematically. You can do an essay with very little math, but don't expect a good score in return. It's cruel, but you should know by now that Math EEs are the hardest to succeed in.

i can only cry now....
when you say i shouldnt expect a good grade... what should i be expecting?
cause there are two criterias... the general one and the mathematical one
the general one is worth 27 marks and the mathematical one 9 marks, i think
if i do a really good essay with little mathematics then in theory shouldnt i get about 27 marks?

haha i dont know if i should be happy or sad
from what you said, i went to look at the new criteria and for maths, some of the example topics are not fully mathematical. some of them are like mine

this is my understanding of what is expected
write about a mathematical topic that is useful (mine is definitely useful in communications)
the ee can be written on any mathematical topic and it need not be confined to the theory of mathematics itself
the student needs to show that he has learnt new things outside the syllabus and that he understands what he writes
the only criteria that i am afraid of is criteria F which asks the student to show analytical skills
other than that, in my personal opinion, i think i am fine with my topic
am i not?