Does having a teacher who doesn't like you affect your final grade?

faith

I've become convinced that my history teacher doesn't like me. It's hard to describe it but he doesn't even acknowledge my presence, (Last time my friend and I were late to a class, we told him we were sorry that we were late and he didn't even look at us ) and there is something, perhaps intuition, that tells me he doesn't like me.

Is anyone out there in the same boat?

And do you think having a teacher who doesn't like me will affect my final grade?

Thanks guys.

Honestly, I find that having a teacher that doesn't like you WILL indirectly affect your final grade. For me, at least, how a teacher treats me (unfortunately) can play a big role in either motivating me or causing me to slack off. If I find that a teacher just really is complacent with me and already thinks lowly of me, then I won't bother improving. I know it doesn't do anything to help me in my future, but when I get a teacher who doesn't like me, I often feel tempted to spite them even more and end up... just slacking off in the course. It's a terrible attitude to have, and I'm sure most people don't approach a situation like this in the same way... but I'm sure that most people would be negatively affected by a teacher who didn't like them.

It won't affect your final grade, of course... but really, just be sure that you can ignore his attitude towards you first. If I were you, I would switch out if I could.

Having a teacher that doesn't like you may affect your predicted grades for university. However, if you do get predicted a low grade in History, you could always go talk to your principal and explain why you think you were predicted such a low number and why you feel it should be changed.

I would suggest going with your friend to talk to the History teacher in person, and maybe getting another teacher there to listen as well and to ask him what you're doing wrong/why he doesn't like you. Is it your attitude to class? Do you always come late? Do you never do homework? Are you rude to him? Find out, and work on improving it.

Teachers will always say that it doesn't, but its impossible not let let extraneous factors, like how a student behaves in class, not affect the way they grade. But as someone already said, your final exams are being marked externally so it essentially won't matter what your teachers think of you.

However, being marked internally in a biased fashion can indirectly affect your final outcome. Being given unfairly low grades on your work all throughout the year can really lower your confidence and make you think you know a lot less on a subject than you actually do.

Edited by Rizzelet

That's good to hear. Perhaps with the amount of students he teaches it's hard for him to give attention to everyone. Stay positive, be enthusiastic and participate in class discussions and you'll make a good impression on the teacher, which may subconciously drive you to do better in class and get a better final grade =]

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly:

Some teachers never hand out grades better than s. That may demoralize you and you will probably end up not trying as hard in future work, which will be graded externally and not as harshly, so this is screwing around with your end grade in some way as you lose motivation.

Some teachers will always round you up if you are close to the higher grade. This will generally mean higher predicted grades. Teachers who don't round you up and you being unfortunate or not such a hard up to limit worker will make a great difference in overall grade yet again.

Try to get on the good sides of your teacher as they do influence your future to some extent with their grading. Don#t come late too often and hand in homework and tell them of missing classes well in advance.

Well, IB grades are converted into percentages by teachers...

So, he would be able to make a difference but not by more than 4-5 % maximum.

That only applies for Ontario candidates coz we have to fill OSSD reqs.

OP - yes, of course. Say you were borderline 6/7. A teacher that likes you would most likely predict 7 while a teacher that you don't get along with would predict 6, I'm guessing.

Edit: 1-2-3 - depending on what course, that 4-5% might actually have a noticeable effect on scholarship prospects. Might make the difference between a 90%+ and 95%+ scholarship. :P

Edited by Irene

YES! it definately does.

I had a teacher last year, my junior year who totally screwed me over. I had a 98+ average in everything, and she went and gave me an 80 and even 70 at times, and it wasn't like i wasn't trying. I tried desperately to improve myself in her class, even asked her constantly for help after school or during lunch and each time she would stand me up or just sit there and throw review sheets at me. It was no help, she was no help.

It got so bad that my counselor told me i really needed to switch out, but that meant rearranging my entire schedule and losing many classes i didn't want to lose. Because of her my averages junior year were lower than what they should have been.

She wrote comments on my report cards that were blatantly made up and concerned my counselor, I never said anything to her, i believe it was some type of discrimination because i'm a kid that doesn't even sigh loudly in class.

She simply crushed my spirit as well, and when i would ask her for help with a certain problem, she would reply with "maybe you shouldn't be in this class..."

like seriously!?!

if you're going to be a teacher, BE a teacher and live up to your responsibilities.