IB Girls and Guys

bolan14

Drinking alcohol is illegal? Where do you live?

In the USA I believe the drinking age is 21. Apparently why there are so many people with alcohol problems in college. I say apparently because I've only heard it ;)

Mildly amusing that it's so high, given that in some states, to my knowledge, you can drive aged 14(!!). Terribly confused, in many ways, although you can possibly argue it's a good thing for avoiding drink driving that the legal ages fail to coincide by such a dramatic margin. Giving people their first experiences with both driving and alcohol all at once, as in the UK, is technically a bit dim. I say technically because the individual who actually genuinely started drinking aged 18 is probably going to be tricky to find! :no:

So in the USA, you can smoke when you're 18, but not drink until you're 21? I thought smoking was much worse for your health than alcohol...

:wub:

The American system hasn't made sense since the end of WW2...it is stupid

So glad IB is over for me though =) Pretty intense 4 years of my life, but definitely going to pay off when I get to that University status! =)

why did your ib course go for 4 years, i thought its 2 years for everyone

Well, freshman and sophomore years are considered to be Pre-IB and then junior and senior year are IB, but to me, they all just ran together, so that's when I refer to IB I talk about all 4 years rather than just 2 =)

:)

The American system hasn't made sense since the end of WW2...it is stupid

I learned in driver's ed that when they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18 at some point, the number of accidents involving drunk driving increased. And after some point, all the states were given choices as to what the drinking age should be, but if it wasn't 21, then the state wouldn't receive some type of funding (don't remember what it was), so everyone changed it to 21.

Edited by deissi
dropped the huge quote

I learned in driver's ed that when they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18 at some point, the number of accidents involving drunk driving increased. And after some point, all the states were given choices as to what the drinking age should be, but if it wasn't 21, then the state wouldn't receive some type of funding (don't remember what it was), so everyone changed it to 21.

Democracy at its best! dry.gif

Well I think that this thread does show that there are plenty of "decent" people out there, and I'm glad to see that there are people who think like me. I don't drink and I certainly don't smoke, and try to live my life in a moral way and do the right thing. For some reason many of my friends couldn't understand why I said I never wanted to break the law and drink underage and get fake IDs etc (which I think is a bit pathetic to be honest, no personal offence intended to anyone who has one...) This turned out to be a pretty big decision, as I am pretty much the only person in my year and group of friends who doesn't drink and party etc. and from last year onwards because of this I've been feeling pretty isolated and lonely (pathetic I know, but sadly true). I guess people can do whatever they want at the end of the day, but I just wish the people I know did something outside of school and on the weekends other than drink and smoke and go in over-18 clubs etc (apart from anything the music is terrible :) )I did give it a go and go out with them a few times without drinking and everything, but it really wasn't my thing and everyone acted differently to the people they are at school and I just didn't like it.It may be I have a tendency to over-analyse everything and maybe I'm being stupid, but the whole thing has been a big issue and debate for me for a while now and I'm just glad to see that there are some people who might be on my side!

Yey, nonconformers unite!

Let's start a movement!

I would join

I thought the driving age was 15 not 14... Why are people so dumb?

Lol these things you all have been talking about, it's what I've been thinking for my past year.

I used to think:

Drink - no drinking until your 18

Smoking... I hate smokers

I used to think sex should be after marriage, it's a type of respect

Parties in bars and stuff: I thought it's 18+

Now, my values changed:

Drink - drink on my own, so when my friends ask, i can cope with it.

smoking... just dont do it in front of me

sex... just be legal, and use a condom.

I've never been to a party, but I would want to try now.

See how they change? I start to understand that not everyone would love themselves.

I'm a selfish person. When I lose my virginity, I expect the girl to be a virgin too.

And by the time I have sex with her is when we married.

But the thing is girls lose their virginity when they are 12 (some of them do)

So I have to have sex early to **** a virgin.

Yea. Maybe I'm a pig afterall. But some girls are pigs too.

Please don't laugh at me, I know I'm different.

Some of my friends do feel I'm weird.

I don't know how IB is internationally, that is how IBers behave overseas or in other places. I go to an IB school in Miami, Florida, and I'm sure much like everywhere else in the world there are crazy party go-ers and dumb girls who fall for the indecent guys. It's like you respect someone for their intelligence, getting high marks w.e, but then you find out what he/she does whether it is smoke or drink on the weekends. Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth. Morality and ethics walk straight out the door, and a vacuum is made for cheating, frivilous partying, gratuitous sex, recreational drug and alchohol use.

Not to be a prick because I am probably a hypocrit because I may be part of some of these things. But it just seems it became so hard to find decent people, a girl who will save herself for someone who is worth it, and a guy who will understand the meaning of sex as not something completely recreational. I shouldn't be one to talk because ive fallen victim to alot of the things im condemning, but I guess i just hope the general population that will be the leaders of tomorrow will be smarter than me. Any way post your thought or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need to tell me that it is a persons right to do what they please, or buttress my opinion.

I personally think that decency in todays kids have left but somehow we can find a medium where we can party and then reach 7's on IB exams.

My dear fellow IB student,

It is very understandable that you feel discouraged by the behaviors of some of your friends This occurs all over the world. What I believe should be taken into consideration is this: activities such as drinking/partying, smoking, and teenage-sex are all average behaviors. It is absolutely okay to feel let down when you discover that peers whom you respect behave in this way, but it is also important to recognize that these behaviors say very little about character. Character is the most important factor that should be considered if you are going to pass judgement on another. Just remember that although drinking, smoking, and sex may not be things that you decide to do, it doesn't meant that the people who are doing them are bad people. It also doesn't meant that these same people have bad work-ethics.

One of the values of the IB Learner Profile is "Open-Minded". Let us now take a moment to read what the IB Learner Profile says about this value:

"Open-minded

They understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience."

It is beneficial to always keep this value in mind, especially when thinking of people from school. There are some individuals who are in need of more hands-on experience in order to learn and grow, and others who are in need of less. Many of your friends who are engaging in drinking, smoking, and sex will learn from their experiences in some way or another. My suggestion would be to try as much as possible to keep an open mind about these people. Maybe they are good people who decide that doing the listed activities is fun? Maybe some of them aren't that great of people? The point is, judge your peers by their character- "how they are as a person."

Another thing you may want to consider is your location. Is Miami, Florida a place where the previously mentioned behaviors are common among teenagers and high school students? In other words, is Miami a big party town? Many may answer "yes" to this question.

I hope that this has been helpful. Thank you for your time and for posting this interesting bit. May Peace be with you all.

• Like 7

Lol these things you all have been talking about, it's what I've been thinking for my past year.

no offence, but that's quite crude and inappropriate. life isn't all about fulfilling your desire to **** a virgin

You only quoted two lines of my post...

But still, I have to agre it's crude and inappropriate.

It's when everyone gets to do this, so I want to do this too.

It's so hard to not get influenced by the people around (doesn't mean I won't try).

Of course, I know life is much much more than sex.

And Chriso, I like your point.

If I've read your post a month ago, I think I would be much more happy man.

Not that I have never thought about being open-minded, but I couldn't get my mind clear.

Thank you for making a good post.

Edited by theloserwins

Well I think that this thread does show that there are plenty of "decent" people out there, and I'm glad to see that there are people who think like me. I don't drink and I certainly don't smoke, and try to live my life in a moral way and do the right thing. For some reason many of my friends couldn't understand why I said I never wanted to break the law and drink underage and get fake IDs etc (which I think is a bit pathetic to be honest, no personal offence intended to anyone who has one...) This turned out to be a pretty big decision, as I am pretty much the only person in my year and group of friends who doesn't drink and party etc. and from last year onwards because of this I've been feeling pretty isolated and lonely (pathetic I know, but sadly true). I guess people can do whatever they want at the end of the day, but I just wish the people I know did something outside of school and on the weekends other than drink and smoke and go in over-18 clubs etc (apart from anything the music is terrible :) )I did give it a go and go out with them a few times without drinking and everything, but it really wasn't my thing and everyone acted differently to the people they are at school and I just didn't like it.It may be I have a tendency to over-analyse everything and maybe I'm being stupid, but the whole thing has been a big issue and debate for me for a while now and I'm just glad to see that there are some people who might be on my side!

Yey, nonconformers unite!

Let's start a movement!

I would join

So would I!

You guys are really misinformed about marijuana. Try to find someone who has died from pot in a way other than physically choking on it.

And yes, you can have fun without doing drugs or drinking alcohol, but that's like saying "can't you have fun without reading books? Can't you have fun without watching movies?". While the answer is technically "yes". It's like, why would you limit yourself needlessly?

I mean, if you don't like something, then it's perfectly fine if you don't partake. But if you're abstaining merely to preserve some sort of self image- some illusion of righteousness and moral superiority, then you are no worse than those who do these "morally bankrupt" activities to appear cool.

And for the record, mainly my post was me making an angry statement. I have tried all these lovely things being discussed in this thread, but I do not do them on a regular basis and have no plans or desires to do them in the near future. It just disgusts me when people dismiss things on ignorance and prejudice and a pre-chewed set of morals.

Alcohol and pot are no more harmful than McDonalds if taken in moderation. In fact, pot is harmless regardless of quantity.

Do your research, kids.

Edit: Basically what Chriso said. Good work, guy.

Edited by Grumps
  • Like 2

You guys are really misinformed about marijuana. Try to find someone who has died from pot in a way other than physically choking on it.

And yes, you can have fun without doing drugs or drinking alcohol, but that's like saying "can't you have fun without reading books? Can't you have fun without watching movies?". While the answer is technically "yes". It's like, why would you limit yourself needlessly?

I mean, if you don't like something, then it's perfectly fine if you don't partake. But if you're abstaining merely to preserve some sort of self image- some illusion of righteousness and moral superiority, then you are no worse than those who do these "morally bankrupt" activities to appear cool.

And for the record, mainly my post was me making an angry statement. I have tried all these lovely things being discussed in this thread, but I do not do them on a regular basis and have no plans or desires to do them in the near future. It just disgusts me when people dismiss things on ignorance and prejudice and a pre-chewed set of morals.

Alcohol and pot are no more harmful than McDonalds if taken in moderation. In fact, pot is harmless regardless of quantity.

Do your research, kids.

Edit: Basically what Chriso said. Good work, guy.

I actually agree with this post. Why not enjoy life to the fullest, I do not mean by abusing drugs, alcohol and sex but I mean not depriving you of these things to try and see what they are like. Some people find weed and sex to be their pure moment of bliss and do it every now and then in order to reach that culmination point of Euphoria. I have had sex, drugs and alcohol and I'm a decent guy overall. I do not have a reputation of a delinquent yet I occasionally practice these 'scornful' activites.

It is very well known that alcohol is bad for you as it causes cirrhosis but then is only in excess, marijuana does not cause harm unless smoked excessively (note today's marijuana plant contains a higher proportion of flower to leaf ration and the flower induces paranoia and other unpleasant neurological symptoms.) Sex if practised safely is nothing to worry about. And one argument is the biological 'need' of having sex. Although it is not a need and that the tendency can be extinguished with masturbation, teenagers will always be horny. Think about it, back in prehistoric times when man was still a homo sapiens sapiens, they use to have sex on a regular basis in order to fertilise as many women, rape was a common behaviour as it was not morally looked down upon. However the world has changed and 'surprise sex' like rape is a reason for incarceration. So think about it sex shouldn't be made less common as it is all ingrained in us.

Finally, IB girls and guys are in a stage where they grow up and learn about themselves and their surroundings. They might propagate a bad image by taking part in the same mundane activities of sex, drugs and alcohol, but this is because of its popularity. It happens to be the most fun thing for a teenager to experience as an amateur. People change. People adapt. People learn.

• Like 2

I used to think:

Drink - no drinking until your 18

Smoking... I hate smokers

I used to think sex should be after marriage, it's a type of respect

Parties in bars and stuff: I thought it's 18+

Now, my values changed:

Drink - drink on my own, so when my friends ask, i can cope with it.

smoking... just dont do it in front of me

sex... just be legal, and use a condom.

I've never been to a party, but I would want to try now.

See how they change? I start to understand that not everyone would love themselves.

I'm a selfish person. When I lose my virginity, I expect the girl to be a virgin too.

And by the time I have sex with her is when we married.

But the thing is girls lose their virginity when they are 12 (some of them do)

Yea. Maybe I'm a pig afterall. But some girls are pigs too.

Please don't laugh at me, I know I'm different.

Some of my friends do feel I'm weird.

uh excuse me im 16 and still a virgin... and so are most of my friends...

• Like 1

I am almost 20 and still a virgin, and still think that sex is only after marriage for the dozens of reasons I mentioned else where, despite that I am an IB graduate from a not so conservative school.

Seriously, I haven't read the previous posts but I don't think that has got anything to do with boys and girls in IB. You see that kind of thing in all schools with different programs