IB Girls and Guys

bolan14

I am from a country where most of the population are Muslims (although I myself am a Christian) and we (Indonesian) strongly believe in the one and only God. I think being in a country where most of the citizens are Muslims influences my perception. If I am not mistaken, the Muslims are anti drugs consuming, sex before marriage, drinking and smoking (please correct me if I am wrong), or at least this is how I see it. Thus this is what we Indonesian believe. Most people would see those kinds of thing as wrong and unethical. It starts from the Muslims who disagree, and the other religions of course would respect them and not do those kinds of thing in front of Muslims. However, Muslims are everywhere in Indo. As a result, every Indonesian believes the same thing and we disagree to drugs, sex before marriage, alcohols and smoking.

Well, of course some people do still consume drugs, have sex before marriage, drink and smoke. But the society would not respect them anymore and they might be...'isolated'. Some teenagers happen to have sex before marriage and are exposed on the news.

But there are not that many IB schools in Indo. The IB students in my school are good students. Most of us don't drink, don't do drugs, never experienced sex. But some of us do smoke, I think. We (Indonesian) are not really anti smoking, though.. but we discourage smoking since it's quite unhealthy.

That might sound funny for some of you to not have sex and drink, but this is the truth and, well, this is our culture.

But I guess being an IB student or not doesn't really affect this. It's about how your family taught you and what your friends have told you. People around you affect the way you think and behave. If you want to be a good student, be friends with good students, not with the bad ones instead.

• Like 4

In my case i can see peers that get drunk until losing conscience or having sex at young age.

But still i think it does exist that idealistic type of people that you talked about.

I consider me in this very conservative, i've never tasted alcohol neither smoking and yes i'm 17 years old, it's simply a thing of what do you really believe in, for example in my case i think that alcohol or smoking will affect me in my development in field hockey, and only a taste of it can take me to more and more, just as chocolate does, when you like it you want more, i don't want to take that risk, but also i believe that if is said that is not something that will help your health why try something like that ? ( we humans like to see to what point our life can get don't we? ) , i don't need to do this stuff to go on partying i can go patrying without them :P

In the point of relationships i take a conservtive posture about it lust is for the moment love lasts more and it could last forever, this ideal is something i follow completely, although i don't look with bad eyes who doesn't follows them but only if they are concious about what everything they do means.

from the ib kids point i'll say they do al this stuff less than "normal kids" at least in my school, but because they "have to study all day and they need to feel healthy" or "they don't go out because they have to finish an IA or something like that" but this is like once in a month.

I don't know how IB is internationally, that is how IBers behave overseas or in other places. I go to an IB school in Miami, Florida, and I'm sure much like everywhere else in the world there are crazy party go-ers and dumb girls who fall for the indecent guys. It's like you respect someone for their intelligence, getting high marks w.e, but then you find out what he/she does whether it is smoke or drink on the weekends. Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth. Morality and ethics walk straight out the door, and a vacuum is made for cheating, frivilous partying, gratuitous sex, recreational drug and alchohol use.

Not to be a prick because I am probably a hypocrit because I may be part of some of these things. But it just seems it became so hard to find decent people, a girl who will save herself for someone who is worth it, and a guy who will understand the meaning of sex as not something completely recreational. I shouldn't be one to talk because ive fallen victim to alot of the things im condemning, but I guess i just hope the general population that will be the leaders of tomorrow will be smarter than me. Any way post your thought or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need to tell me that it is a persons right to do what they please, or buttress my opinion.

I personally think that decency in todays kids have left but somehow we can find a medium where we can party and then reach 7's on IB exams.

Good post, but there's just a few things wrong:

One: You spelled "hypocrite" incorrectly. It is spelled "hypocrite," not "hypocrit."

Two: Saying "7's on IB exams" is incorrect. You are inferring that the 7 owns something wtih the apostraphe. Next time, say "7s" instead of "7's."

Three: You forgot an apostraphe in saying "todays kids." It should be "today's kids." In this case you do want to designate ownership.

Four: "..ive fallen victim to alot of things im condemning..." This is a terribly constructed sentnece! "ive" should be given an apostraphe and capitalized, and "alot" is not one word, it is two! Having some grammar troubles, are we?

Five: "persons" needs to be given an apostraphe. A person and their rights should be recognized as a possessive relationship with an apostraphe.

Six: "Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth." First of all, people designates plurality, so therefore "is" should be changed to "are." Secondly, you are phrasing a question, are you not? Replace that period with a question mark!

Seven: When you say "w.e." one cannot necessarily understand what this means. I assume you mean to say "whatever," so next time please take the extra 1.36 seconds and write the whole word out.

Eight: The word "IBers" should be given a hyphen. As this word is not officially recognized by Merriam-Webster dictionaries, a hyphen should be added to show how the word is coined.

Nine: "Any way post your thoughts or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need..." Two problems with this phrase: "Any way" is one word, not two, and there should be a semicolon instead of a comma after "frustrations" to designate a new clause.

Ten: "I personally think that decency in todays kids have left..." Going to back to this sentence, the "have" should be replaced with "has." As "decency" is the direct object in this clause, the verb "to have" should be conjugated to "has," not "have."

I could keep going and offer further advice and criticism, but you probably have to go cry now about how poor your english is. Have a nice day!

• Like 1

I don't know how IB is internationally, that is how IBers behave overseas or in other places. I go to an IB school in Miami, Florida, and I'm sure much like everywhere else in the world there are crazy party go-ers and dumb girls who fall for the indecent guys. It's like you respect someone for their intelligence, getting high marks w.e, but then you find out what he/she does whether it is smoke or drink on the weekends. Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth. Morality and ethics walk straight out the door, and a vacuum is made for cheating, frivilous partying, gratuitous sex, recreational drug and alchohol use.

Not to be a prick because I am probably a hypocrit because I may be part of some of these things. But it just seems it became so hard to find decent people, a girl who will save herself for someone who is worth it, and a guy who will understand the meaning of sex as not something completely recreational. I shouldn't be one to talk because ive fallen victim to alot of the things im condemning, but I guess i just hope the general population that will be the leaders of tomorrow will be smarter than me. Any way post your thought or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need to tell me that it is a persons right to do what they please, or buttress my opinion.

I personally think that decency in todays kids have left but somehow we can find a medium where we can party and then reach 7's on IB exams.

One: You spelled "hypocrite" incorrectly. It is spelled "hypocrite," not "hypocrit."

Two: Saying "7's on IB exams" is incorrect. You are inferring that the 7 owns something wtih the apostraphe. Next time, say "7s" instead of "7's."

Three: You forgot an apostraphe in saying "todays kids." It should be "today's kids." In this case you do want to designate ownership.

Four: "..ive fallen victim to alot of things im condemning..." This is a terribly constructed sentnece! "ive" should be given an apostraphe and capitalized, and "alot" is not one word, it is two! Having some grammar troubles, are we?

Five: "persons" needs to be given an apostraphe. A person and their rights should be recognized as a possessive relationship with an apostraphe.

Six: "Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth." First of all, people designates plurality, so therefore "is" should be changed to "are." Secondly, you are phrasing a question, are you not? Replace that period with a question mark!

Seven: When you say "w.e." one cannot necessarily understand what this means. I assume you mean to say "whatever," so next time please take the extra 1.36 seconds and write the whole word out.

Eight: The word "IBers" should be given a hyphen. As this word is not officially recognized by Merriam-Webster dictionaries, a hyphen should be added to show how the word is coined.

Nine: "Any way post your thoughts or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need..." Two problems with this phrase: "Any way" is one word, not two, and there should be a semicolon instead of a comma after "frustrations" to designate a new clause.

Ten: "I personally think that decency in todays kids have left..." Going to back to this sentence, the "have" should be replaced with "has." As "decency" is the direct object in this clause, the verb "to have" should be conjugated to "has," not "have."

I could keep going and offer further advice and criticism, but you probably have to go cry now about how poor your english is. Have a nice day!

Woah BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

I'm decent! I don't smoke, drink, party, or have sex. While I'm disappointed that some (most) of my peers are living this way, I don't condemn them... I'm just not very close friends with them. Nonetheless, I'd rather be around intelligent, indecent people than unintelligent, indecent people. =)

I'm decent! I don't smoke, drink, party, or have sex. While I'm disappointed that some (most) of my peers are living this way, I don't condemn them... I'm just not very close friends with them. Nonetheless, I'd rather be around intelligent, indecent people than unintelligent, indecent people. =)

That's so true ! , I also don't have very close friends because of this, at first it doesn't matter to much, but then, the repetition of situations related with this, starts to take you to different directions from your peers.

• 4 weeks later...

You know, this entire thread stems from the fact that someone believe "partying" is immoral and unethical. I don't dispute that... because I'm recognizing it for what it is: the opinions of one individual.

Partying may not fit into your definition of morality. That's fine. But please, do not think that everyone, everywhere is going to share your opinions on what is and is not moral.

This is a forum, not Sunday School.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This post made me laugh hysterically in pleasure, until I saw that you mispelt 'apostrophe' thrice ("aposthraphe"), as well as "sentnece"--although, let us not make this into a pissing contest. What you just did is exactly what I would've, should I have been directly posed with such a loaded topic abused in such ways.

I realise that the poster did not intend to imply that it was strictly IB students who did such things, but rather that he was surprised to see this in IB students. My take is that IB students are teenagers too, and, by a stereotypical teenager's standards, have even more reason to do drugs or smoke--I don't believe this, but I say this because teenagers' reason behind smoking and drinking tends to be stress or the need for some amusement. In my opinion, IB students recognise the consequences of abusing these habits, as well as the hypothetical benefits, and if they do make the choice to do these things upon which you and I both frown, they'd be careful about it. It's not my business.

In my own experience with a group of maybe twenty diploma students, I have a hard time finding a 'happy medium'. My female classmates are too chatty for me, and have this insatiable desire to gossip and go to the mall everyday, while the guys are either into the super-sociable girls, or are completely without a life outside of school work. It's radicals and royalists, nothing in between.

I want someone with whom I can 'fangirl' over the lastest episode of House or NCIS or Big Bang Theory, with whom I can go to a movie with every once and again; I also want someone with whom I can discuss an interesting topic learned in class, or a book I just finished, you know? Instead, I now have two sets of friends, with personalities to which I can adapt. The Stones said it all--you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.

i have to disagree with Desy on this, i live in a Muslim society, and i am a Muslim, and thank go i still have faith. i think people result to drugs, sex, and stuff because to them it's copying other people, going to extremes to please their friends, and showing their bravery by being rebellious. me and my boyfriend are in our last year of IB, but we don't smoke, drink, drugs, or sex. for us, it's all over rated. and we are saving it for marriage. what really shocked me, is that even though i'm in a community that is mostly muslim people, i noticed that the majority of the people who drink, drugs, and smoke are Muslims too. it all comes down to how you are raised.

take the case of me and my cousin. we are both 17 girls.

• i've been raised in an open minded society before i came to this country, and then when i moved my parents put me in a mixed school (boys and girls)

my cousin was raised in a very strict society (Saudi Arabia) and when she moved here, she studied in an all girl school.

• I can easily talk to guys, and open up discussions. i can go out and spend the weekend with my friends in the beach 30 min away from home

she can't talk to guys, and she's restricted, i think that will affect her future since in university it's a mixed program.

am not saying it's wrong to have limits, but even though. it all comes down to how you are raised to face the world. her dad and my dad are brothers. each one prepared us on facing the world alone. in 9 months i'm leaving to fo study in university in london, and my parents aren't scared or worried. because they know that they raised me well. i know my limits. even in school i sit with people who smoke and i've been offered it multiple times. but i can never smoke it. but for my cousin if she leaves this country it'll be hard for her to adapt. yes it's keeping her away from being sociable, but also she's being restricted strongly on these things.

my parents told me if im ever curious of somethign (which is normal) then they would rather have me try it in front of them, than behind their backs. (well except drugs cause it's illegal)

but my cousin is tempted to try them. i guess the rule here that is applied to her is "rules are meant to be broken"

I would agree that a lot of teens drink and do drugs because of the reasons that you pointed out, like the need to copy or be like everyone else, or simply out of pure rebellion. Heck, in my school I would even say almost all the kids do it for those two reasons.

But not everyone. There are other reasons one may choose to try these substances. It's important to not make sweeping generalizations, however tempting they may be.

Well my IB class has got quite a lot of drinkers, but getting to know them they actually not that bad. You cant judge some one just cause they like to drink. And even though the drink some of them still hammering IB :P Normally when they drink they dont drink to get drunk but instead just to liven themselves a bit. Perhaps im saying this cause I have several friends that drink but overall I really have no problems with them drinking in front of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's a bit funny because all the NHS IB kids in my school are the hardcore partiers/drinkers etc. It's a bit strange for me since I am pretty tame when it comes to that kind if thing, although not averse to it... It's just strange to think that the kids here are all out clubbing and getting smashed and they're not even in college yet. :/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think maybe these things are seen in a different light in England, its kind of accpeted and even expected that you will do most if not all of these things, apart from drugs.

But I think we have lower age restrictions than some countries, like drinking and smoking are allowed at 18 and sex at 16. I smoke, drink (but not every weekend), I also go to a lot of parties and we all drink and possibly end up looking like idiots, I am a virgin but not because I'm saving myself for marriage I just haven't found the right guy yet I feel that is slightly different.

But in this country people just accept it as 'Oh there just doing what teenagers (or young adults) do' so I think there are different mentalities in different parts of the world. I would say that doing these things makes you not a decent person, it's not what a person does at the weekend it is how they treat you and other people that makes them a decent person or not, I don't think that two are inter-changeable.

I would largely agree with this reply. Smoking, drinking and sex are not taboo in the UK, really. At school I only knew a few people who didn't drink (for religious reasons, they were muslims). To be fair, most people didn't smoke, but only because smoking is a bit of a waste of time, is expensive, antisocial, unhealthy, ageing and makes you smell, not because it's a sign of depravity. Sex was up to the individual but there's nothing wrong with it.

The only thing that people aren't so chill about are drugs, as they're the only thing which is technically illegal. I knew a few people who did drugs, some recreationally and a few who did hard drugs. Those people (3 of them) actually dropped out and one of them now has failing kidneys and has to go in for dialysis, so yeah :blink: Not the world's smartest decision. I think because it's illegal, there's a more charged atmosphere around them, no matter what Class of drug it is, even if it's something quite tame like Marijuana. Not so much about what the drugs do, but about the fact that you're going outside the law in order to acquire and use them and therefore you could get expelled from school (plenty of people were, some schools - especially 'posh' private ones - have a hardline one-strike-and-out policy... although they also have a 0.01% detection rate to go with it :P) and incur parental wrath, whereas drinking, sex and smoking not so much. Smoking is second most likely to cause parental wrath! Then sex, and then drinking. All normal people drink, really. You can buy your own alcohol from 18, but basically everybody drinks before then.

• 3 weeks later...

I am from a country where most of the population are Muslims (although I myself am a Christian) and we (Indonesian) strongly believe in the one and only God. I think being in a country where most of the citizens are Muslims influences my perception. If I am not mistaken, the Muslims are anti drugs consuming, sex before marriage, drinking and smoking (please correct me if I am wrong), or at least this is how I see it. Thus this is what we Indonesian believe. Most people would see those kinds of thing as wrong and unethical. It starts from the Muslims who disagree, and the other religions of course would respect them and not do those kinds of thing in front of Muslims. However, Muslims are everywhere in Indo. As a result, every Indonesian believes the same thing and we disagree to drugs, sex before marriage, alcohols and smoking.

Well, of course some people do still consume drugs, have sex before marriage, drink and smoke. But the society would not respect them anymore and they might be...'isolated'. Some teenagers happen to have sex before marriage and are exposed on the news.

But there are not that many IB schools in Indo. The IB students in my school are good students. Most of us don't drink, don't do drugs, never experienced sex. But some of us do smoke, I think. We (Indonesian) are not really anti smoking, though.. but we discourage smoking since it's quite unhealthy.

That might sound funny for some of you to not have sex and drink, but this is the truth and, well, this is our culture.

But I guess being an IB student or not doesn't really affect this. It's about how your family taught you and what your friends have told you. People around you affect the way you think and behave. If you want to be a good student, be friends with good students, not with the bad ones instead.

I could not have said it better myself! Although I am not Indonesian, I am a proud Christian. It's our "standards" -morals, in IB term- that we follow. If you're proud in what you believe in, you will stand up for what you believe to be true. I know that what I believe in is true, no doubt in my mind. I have a testimony of it :)

Having said that, I feel that the IB wants us to re-evaluate all that we know. To tell you the truth, what I know IS the truth :D But yeah, IB, I'm sorry :P I totally get where you're coming from, and if your intentions were to help me realize how "blind" I've been, then think again, because all you've done is made this testimony of mine become stronger :D

Here in my school even having relationships is seen as "wrong". One guy in our class was in a relationship with an A-level girl (we have both IB and A-level) and the whole school comes to know. The maids in our school are like spys and told our IB coordinator. Then she started giving us advice as to not fall into those things right now....and she even insulted that guy soo many times infront of the whole class. I have never met any student (or maybe I didn't realise) that does drugs etc. My parents still don't let me go to parties....and I'm 18.