English EE on Agatha Christie

Ib_slave

My English EE is the [b]Literary Function of Ariadne Oliver’s Character in Agatha Christie’s mystery novels[/b]

Is there any way I can further refine my question and does anyone have suggestions on how to tackle an English EE, specifically on this topic?

Did anyone have a hard time reaching 4000 words with their Group 1 EE's?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all the ones which Ariadne Oliver is in...just a couple. I think what you should do is list a couple of broad points first, then see if you can refine your question from there. What IS the literary function of Ariadne Oliver? Christie said that she was a reflection of herself (but I'd be very very careful with that point. It says in the IBO EE guide that questions based on how a piece of literature reflects the author's life are rarely successful or strong.) What function does Ariadne serve in ways of plot, character, theme, tone? Would you consider her as a foil of Poirot's because their styles of detecting are so different?

Or perhaps you can focus on the role of prejudice within her novels. You get all sorts of prejudice and stereotypes within Christie's novels. You've got prejudice against Poirot because he's a foreigner, prejudice against Miss Marple because she's old, Ariadne Oliver believes firmly that if a woman were in charge of Scotland Yard things would be different, and of course there are plenty of female stereotypes in her novels (the pretty, young nurse, the rich actress, the sensible young woman.) And who can forget the stereotypical China man in "The Big Four?"

Another idea you can think about is how Agatha Christie uses her narrators, not only with Hastings, but also with "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and "Endless Night?" (SPOILER WARNING COMING UP...just in case, lol) The reader is caught so off-guard in "Roger Ackroyd" and "Endless Night" because he/she relies on the narrator and trusts the narrator. Consider the effects and purpose of finding out the narrator is actually the murderer! The reader is engaged in the murder the same way the characters are, because the reader feels a similar sense of betrayal and disappointment in the narrator, who we are built up to like. On another note, the narrator can shed a new light on the way Poirot is perceived by the reader, instead of in books where everything is told in third-person narrative.

lol sorry I've realised I've just gone wayyy off topic...but I hope this has given you a couple more ideas. I think the role of the narrator would be another interesting topic too. I think the thing you need to do in order to refine your question is to make your research question a "How" or "In what ways" question. Like..."In what ways does the character of Ariadne Oliver develop the theme of the role of women in novels by Agatha Christie?" or "How does Agatha Christie engage and influence her reader through different narrative perspectives?"

Hope I've helped and haven't confused you too much...lol :D Good luck with your EE. Just remember to use your little grey cells and all will be well :)