Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Hong Kong University

I got a conditional offer at Hong Kong University. The university is ranked as 26 best in the world as of 2008 according to Times Higher Education rankings with a score of 90 out of 100 for Employer Review Score.

I however have doubts as to how good the uni is. The conditional offer they gave me was only 33 points in IB overall with a 4 in English A1 HL (which seems very very low for a great university). Furthermore I heared that THE rankings are not fully accurate

I wonder if I should go, as my aim in the future is to get a good well paid job

Another hunch I have is that a degree from HKU may only be very good if applying for a job in Asia (and not in Europe/North America) do you think this is true? I would love to work in either Europe, USA for Japan in the future

First of all, have you ever been to HK? You might not like it.

Secondly, to get a job in HK or Japan, you would need to Mandarin/Cantonese and Japanese respectively. SO don't expect that you would get a job after graduating from HKU.

But you've done well to get an offer from there, I don't think they're easy to get in.

Oh right, I applied for Bachelor of Economics and Finance Programme.

Sure I'll be at a huge disadvantage if my mandarin/cantonese or japanese will be very unsatisfactory by the time I'm going to apply for a job in China/Japan. I am however determined to learn mandarin and Japanese if I go to HKU (and I'd be determined to learn Japanese whether I go aswell)

But do you think a degree at HKU would look good if I decide to work in let's say USA/Canada/UK/rest of Europe?

Oh and I've never been to HK ever. I mostly heared good things about the place, the only bad things I heared are that it's hot (suits me) a lot and that people mostly speak Chinese (fine with me). Oh and I heared there are some real gangsters going around city daily like in Los Angeles - don't know how true this is though. Is there anything else I'd have to watch out for?

Edited by Mark

Sure I'll be at a huge disadvantage if my mandarin/cantonese or japanese will be very unsatisfactory by the time I'm going to apply for a job in China/Japan. I am however determined to learn mandarin and Japanese if I go to HKU (and I'd be determined to learn Japanese whether I go aswell)

But do you think a degree at HKU would look good if I decide to work in let's say USA/Canada/UK/rest of Europe?

Oh and I've never been to HK ever. I mostly heared good things about the place, the only bad things I heared are that it's hot (suits me) a lot and that people mostly speak Chinese (fine with me). Oh and I heared there are some real gangsters going around city daily like in Los Angeles - don't know how true this is though. Is there anything else I'd have to watch out for?

If you're gonna do a job in HK, be sure to learn Cantonese too to at least a level where you can speak it comfortably.

Well, since you're Polish (which would mean you look, and obviously are, European), it should look good, or at least it won't be detrimental to the cause. It always depends on what type of job you're going for, but since HKU is that hard to get in, it can never look bad right?

HK actually has seasons unlike Singapore, and it gets cool too. I'm not sure about the gangsters, but Warsaw can't be any different right? >.< HK's very crowded tho, and I can't ever see myself living there or even going there. A bit too crowded and run down.

A degree from HKU is well regarded in China and Hong Kong... to say the least. America...I doubt. Europe...I doubt. Oceania... Sure....everything works in Oceania haha.

I have yet to see a gangster in HK ... so i'd say its a very safe place if that's what you're worried about >.<

The weather is definately something that takes getting used to and the city itself is very busy.

My dad went to Hong Kong University for his Computer Engineering degree, haha.

And the weather is obviously really smoggy and humid everyday. You sweat a lot (part of the reason why I hated living in Hong Kong). If you're not used to it, it's easy to get sick because of the big temperature changes from outside to the chilly blast of AC indoors. Lots of people, keep your belongings close, it's easy to lose something in the crowd or get pickpocketed. MTR subway is packed during rush hour, you'll have to get used to being like sardines in a can and pressed up against sweaty armpits haha.

Definitely depends on where you live though, there's some nicer areas and some ghetto-er areas (I've lived in both).

hello to all.

i will apply my university next year.

and i want to know the requirement for Hong Kong University..?

could you please tell me how much score should i take to get accepted by HKU..?

what about HK Science and Technology university?

Thanks for helping.

Ask Mark on the forum here, he got into HKU and will be attending it this year.

Ask Mark on the forum here, he got into HKU and will be attending it this year.

hello to you,

but i have a doubt to ask you..

i am just new here,and actually i do not know who is Mark, so how can i get information from him?

Hello. I'm a Hong Kong person.

First off, 33 sounds really low for HKU.

Many of the students in my school are aiming for HKU, and they want a score of 42.

That said, for many students in Hong Kong, HKU is the best school, considering they have such high standards.

Hong Kong University is not where I am applying, as it's not the type of of school for me.

It's quite quiet, doesn't have a HUGE campus, and all the students are chinese studious types.

They have a supposedly great medicine program and a pretty good law program.

If cities are not for you, and you aren't going to practice medicine or law, I would not suggest coming.

FYI, Mugabe's daughter goes to HKU

1 person likes this

Robert Mugabe's daughter going to HKU proves what exactly? That it's a good university ot a bad one? She either got in just because her father is a famous politician and pulled strings for her (not to mention that her tuition fees are being paid for with tainted money that has been stolen from Zimbabweans), or because she wants to get as far away from her father as possible. And seeing as no one here can seem to agree on whether it's a good university or not, she could be there just because she was too bad in school to get in anywhere else.

3 people like this

Hey. I live in Hong Kong and trust me, Hong Kong U is a very good university. Indeed 33 sounds a bit low for a top university but i think you got such an offer because you may offer something that they want. About the gang problems, dont worry. There arent really gangsters roaming around everywhere. Just be careful of Mong Kok or places that are crowded cuz I believe that you should be more worried about pickpockets than gangsters.

Being in a school in Mong Kok, i'll say there's a lot of people who look like gangsters, but aren't. Don't believe any rumors about Triads or anything.

Hong Kong University is a very good school, and like Gabriel said, you might have offered something they wanted to offer you such a low grade.

It is recognized by quite a few countries, and furthermore, it'll get you where you want if you work hard. The only problem is working hard, because seriously, Hong Kongers are total study-a-holics, and you'll be competing not just with yourself, like how IB is, but with other people who think like you do.

Not sure if I made any sense, so long story short:

tl;dr: HKU is a good uni, recognized by a lot of countries/companies, don't worry about gangsters, the weather's pretty crap.

HKU is a great uni, one of the best in Asia. I don't know how good it is for later placement though, some people I know who went there got good jobs but not fantastic ones, of course, it could have been just them. Hong Kong is a great place to live in - if you like cities. There is some open space but it's pretty much a crowded, bustling cosmopolitan city. There's tons to do here - shopping, eating, sightseeing, culture, hiking etc. but I can imagine it would be a bit overwhelming for some. Think of it as a smaller, Cantonese speaking NYC. Don't worry too much about the language difficulties - you can get by without knowing Chinese at all. I should know - I've lived here for almost 12 years!

First I would like to congratulate you on getting a offer at HKU! Yes, HKU is a fantastic university that has quite a high admission standards for domestic students ( >37) but because HKU is trying to be more international in scope, they have been trying to recruit more international students, that is why I suspect you have such a low conditional score. Hong Kong is also one of the top financial centres of the world, if you planning to go for the finance program, you won't have much trouble finding jobs in Hong Kong. It is also pretty easy to work in other places like US, UK because you can just work for a multinational company and apply to work in other places.

1 person likes this

This is kind of late but.. Hong Kong is an amazing city!!!! As one of the world's leading financial centers, its in the middle of everything! It's very international - you don't need to worry about not speaking Chinese/Mandarin (unless of course, you're planning to live out in the 'country'/in the middle of nowhere in HK), and you get to meet so many new people from around the world. So the social aspect is great - nightlife especially!

As for gangsters... I have lived here for fifteen years and I have yet to encounter one (touch wood!) haha so thats something I don't think you need to worry about. Yes, there are triads.. but you'll be fine as long as you stay out of their way - and there is the smallest of chances that you'll even have anything to do with them - if you know what I mean. On the whole, its a very safe place. A great place to be

And HKU is a very good uni, so congrats on your offer!

1 person likes this

This is kind of late but.. Hong Kong is an amazing city!!!! As one of the world's leading financial centers, its in the middle of everything! It's very international - you don't need to worry about not speaking Chinese/Mandarin (unless of course, you're planning to live out in the 'country'/in the middle of nowhere in HK), and you get to meet so many new people from around the world. So the social aspect is great - nightlife especially!

As for gangsters... I have lived here for fifteen years and I have yet to encounter one (touch wood!) haha so thats something I don't think you need to worry about. Yes, there are triads.. but you'll be fine as long as you stay out of their way - and there is the smallest of chances that you'll even have anything to do with them - if you know what I mean. On the whole, its a very safe place. A great place to be

And HKU is a very good uni, so congrats on your offer!

I haven't encountered any gangster in Hong Kong as well. I've been living in Hong Kong for more than 10 years now, and I think it is one of the safest cities in the world! The notorious Chinese gangsters (aka. Triads) might be the influence of Hong Kong movies.

HKU, CUHK and HKUST are the renowned universities in Hong Kong, with HKU on the top. It is famous for its Medical programme, partly because the Father of the Modern China, Sun Yat-sen, attended there. It is quite impossible to get into HKU Medicine with IB (even with 45) though, because they prefer students who take Hong Kong A-Level which I believe is the most challenging matriculation programme.

I've lived in Hong Kong all my life, with 90% of it in the same area - a safe, residential area - so I can't say much about the whole gangster thing. I don't think it's a big part of Hong Kong though. We're usually regarded as a ridiculously safe city :P

Yea, Hong Kong's definitely a bustling, busy city, with lots of people always hurrying to get somewhere, and the pollution is deathly. One thing I can't recommend enough, though, is the underground rail system, called the MTR. It's got GREAT AIRCONDITIONER and EVERYONE GOES ON IT. It's also SAFE and CLEAN unlike many rail systems in other countries. I'd say it's better than both the Metro in France and the Tube in London, though perhaps not as good as JR in Japan. So travelling is definitely sorted. (And of course, there are buses and minibuses and taxis too.)

The food is very good. I can't say much, since I've lived here all my life and have gotten used to the food being very good. There's food from ALL OVER THE WORLD, I swear; there is cheap food and expensive food but most of all, they are all yummy :)

Specifically about HKU, though... I've always been an international school student, but from what I've heard from my local school friends, the education system in Hong Kong is VERY, VERY STRICT. Some people compare it to prison. Teachers assign ridiculous loads of work, and expect you to be obedient at all times. Grading is extremely strict. And yes, this apparently extends onto universities as well. So... just a warning. Although I am really extremely late in replying.

But I thought I'd type all the above anyway for anyone who's considering HKU/studying in Hong Kong in the future :P

I personally cannot wait to get the hell out of here. (But I do love the rail system, as aforementioned.)

Robert Mugabe's daughter going to HKU proves what exactly? That it's a good university ot a bad one? She either got in just because her father is a famous politician and pulled strings for her (not to mention that her tuition fees are being paid for with tainted money that has been stolen from Zimbabweans), or because she wants to get as far away from her father as possible. And seeing as no one here can seem to agree on whether it's a good university or not, she could be there just because she was too bad in school to get in anywhere else.

What were your IB grades? smile.png as i am currently doing IB and im thinking about applying there next year, curious about the chances. Thanks.

Im around 34/35 (predicted not released yet) and do both econ and business higher

plus i had an internship at HSBC which i know is well respected within Hong Kong.

I'm from New Zealand btw smile.png and wanna apply for BBA in economics or finance smile.png

MANY THANKS if you could get back!!