TOK, class or no?

icecoldstar

I go to a US school, and we have NO class period for this TOK thing

so, i was wondering if people around the world have a class, or is it just stupid americans who do not realise that a class for a core subject would be really helpful?? :innocent:

excuse me? first of all, it is rude of you being judgmental and stereotypical towards the Americans. i lived in Us and i Know for sure that they do offer Tok. just because your school doesn't offer Tok does not mean that any other us school don't

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt have a tok class..... lolol. apparently it's 'integrated' into our history and english class...but i dont think that true. in december they gave us prescribed tok topics...and we're supposed to look at them and then our paper on it is due in march...with no outside help from the teachers really..it's just like.. write it and hand it in. ahaha

so, i was wondering if people around the world have a class, or is it just stupid americans who do not realise that a class for a core subject would be really helpful?? :innocent:

Yeah, in my school, the program is fusing TOK class with elective class. It used to be a separate class....it's weird because my TOK class has to coexist with my Chem. class.

I think the value of the TOK class depends on the teacher. My teacher is kind of simple-minded and conservative and likes to talk only about her beliefs. She doesn't really incite much conversation among the class....so I'm beginning to think the "class" is pointless.

haha what? hmmm well do you have a TOK week or something?? how else does your school cover this? Well we have three or four (can't remember) TOK classes every cycle (thats two weeks).

Wow you have me wondering now... you might want to check that out. haha

ohhhh and cool for the people who go to TOK camp. That would be awsome! yeah we also have excersions as well. Like last term we went to the Canbera and visited the turner to Monet exhinition and then analysed some stuff there for TOK.

Hmm yeah and in class we cover philosophy type stuff, lik ehow we know what we know, reason, language, the scientific method etc etc

hmm you have me reallly confussed now. do u not cover this stuff in some other way??

-soph x

• 1 month later...

i have a TOK class permanently, umm...standard for juniors. however, i've heard that a lot of seniors who aren't offered the class take it senior year. so perhaps you could look into it a bit. its a really interesting class, but perhaps it depends on the teacher.

Hey, we had TOK for 6 hours and 15 minutes a week (5 days at 75 minutes per day) and we did do quite a bit of work studying the different AOK and WOK. I think the main problem with TOK is that the only assessment is really the essay (there are the presentations too, but those are internally assessed and are pretty subjective, even for TOK). Since the assessment doesn't force you to have to know everything (all the WOK, AOK) and there is no TOK syllabus (as far as I know, may be wrong there), I think teachers don't necessarily see it as a full-on class. On the final assessment, I personally had no trouble studying the AOKs and WOKs I needed to know independently of what we did in class, and I think I managed to pull together a pretty solid essay. If the final assessment was some sort of exam, I doubt I would have been able to study all I would need to know independently of class, and I also think that TOK teachers would be a bit more serious about the class.

I'm not saying there should be a TOK exam, but I think that based on the way the class is structured it makes it easier for teachers to become a bit lax with their teaching style.

We have a TOK period everyday which is abt 50 mins!!! I remember last year's seniors, they had to come in early for the TOK class which was pretty horibble!!

... Caitlin, I think you know some of my friends! (Yes, I am a non-blond MLCer... a rarity!) But no, I didn't go, two of my friends did - both to the Math Studies, and one each to Biology and Chemistry.

And if you don't mind me asking, is your uniform purple and 'gold'?

purple and gold uniforms! wicked ! haha

sorry to butt in.. but MLC, as in methodist ladies' college in sydney? i was gonna go there but then i had to move to argenitna.. *sighs*

newais..

back to the topic..

we only have an hr per week. we were supposed to have 2 but there was this huge mess with the timetables at our school this year so yeahh

purple and gold uniforms! wicked ! haha

sorry to butt in.. but MLC, as in methodist ladies' college in sydney? i was gonna go there but then i had to move to argenitna.. *sighs*

newais..

back to the topic..

we only have an hr per week. we were supposed to have 2 but there was this huge mess with the timetables at our school this year so yeahh

Erm...considering Caitlin and winter have both finished IB and I haven't seen them in ages, I doubt you'd get an answer. But I think I can safely say no, becuase they're both from Melbourne.

• 2 weeks later...

We have TOK twice every week, an hour's lesson each time.

I would think that it would be quite hard to do a TOK essay without having any classes, we also have lots of practice essays to write (about 15 so far, I'm in IB2). We also have practice presentations, I think we have done 3 or 4. It does help to have class, but I'm just not that into it because philosophical arguments don't make my world go round.

We'll see how my final essay turns out then.

I don't understand how you can write a TOK essay without having any TOK classes before. TOK is a pretty hard subject, especially if you have no knowledge on the function of philosophy, whatsoever.

We have TOK twice a week or so. Basically our teacher introduces the topic to us, sometimes gives us an activity or something to think about it. I like TOK, and I usually remember what our teacher says concerning the subject.

So basically, I dunno how you guys in USA do it, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to just NOT have any TOK lessons whatsoever.