French B Oral being sent for moderation!

Hello

I just found out that my French B Individual Oral is part of the batch being sent to IB for moderation. No one is sure what this exactly entails; I'm getting conflicting reports. Mine will get remarked, but is this remarked version going to be my official mark? As well, does the IB change all of the marks for a class based on whether they think they were marked to easily/hard, or only the ones that they actually remarked (like mine)? I'd really appreciate an answer; I'm worried about losing valuable points because of this remarking.

Thanks

All IB orals are sent for moderation, as they give the final mark. So yours is not an anomaly.

Only a sample is sent (sorry if thats what you meant)...not all and based on this sample IB raises/lowers eveyone elses marks (in different bands) so OP's mark will change depending on the accuracy of th teacher's original marking.

I always thought only a sample was sent for moderation..couple samples from the highest marks, lowest marks and the middle. At least that's what our teachers told us when they announced who got picked for moderation. Then people would try and guess if they were part of the high/low/middle.

Your sample may not necessarily be remarked (only if IBO believes you should've received higher/lower than you did), and based on the sample, they will then raise/lower everyone's marks. I believe whatever IBO gives you will be your final mark.

My French B HL oral is being sent in too, because we're only five people in the group. The sampling of all IA moderation works like so that if a group has five or fewer students, all IAs are sent in for moderation. Groups of twenty or so have five samples sent in, and larger groups have more. I think we send in fifteen samples for History, and I'd say we're about sixty students in total. I think you can find information on the sampling in the guide book that used to be known as the Vade Mecum (I've forgotten the new name...).

And yeah, they take a few top grades, a few middle, and a few bottom, and then they raise or lower the grades of the whole group accordingly. Many of my teachers say that their moderation usually brings the marks together, so that the top marks are brought down slightly and the bottom ones are brought up so that the range is smaller. That doesn't necessarily have to be the case for all teachers and subjects, though.

yes if there's few students, all IAs are sent in

i was the only French B HL student so mine is sent in as well

the marks from our IA is also sent in for the IB moderator

its more of like the IB moderator testing the teacher more than testing our skills

if the teacher grades us to high for our IA then the IB moderator will reduce both

the score from our oral activity in class and our IA

which is a pity actually

i had a senior who stumbled on her eng IOC but recovered after pausing for a few seconds

and my teacher thought she recovered well so gave her quite a good score

but the IB moderator didn't think so, so he reduced both her oral activity and her IA

when her oral activity was very well done

she got reduced from a 7 to a 6 just by a few points

it was very upsetting

If there's a fewer number of students in a class, all of them will go for moderation? There's only six kids in French B SL in my school. Does that mean all of our Orals will go for moderation? As in the recording?

My oral is this Thurs :| and I'm doing the controversy regarding the French ban on religious symbols in schools in 2003. (Quite a mouthful) does it need to be narrowed down, by the way?

Is it ok if we go beyond three minutes? I thought I wouldnt be able to make it long enough at first, but then i timed myself and went way beyond expectations. I think I'll have to cut stuff down now.

The oral's tmrw, on the same day as the written exam :| Here goes.

How are we supposed to study for French anyway? There's really not much you can do except maybe go through vocabulary.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering, do you ever find out how your oral did in moderation? Mine was selected and sent out about a month ago, and French is an anticipated subject at my school, so I have it next week. With some luck I can get a 7, but not if my oral gets owned through moderation (although my teacher assures us that she's usually spot on).