Exam: which applications allowed?

remy

We are supposed to reset the RAM or ROM of our calculators before the exams. Now I am not sure about this, but isn't this gonna delete all applications? And that's the next question, because which applications are we allowed to have on our calculator? I only have Finance and PolySmlt, I think especially PolySmlt is useful and I don't want to lose it...

So how is this supposed to work?

You can't have any applications whatsoever on your calculator. So deleting the RAM/ROM ensures that. Then again, when we did the exams no one cared to delete ours off, but there were no useful applications on it.

You can't have any applications whatsoever on your calculator. So deleting the RAM/ROM ensures that. Then again, when we did the exams no one cared to delete ours off, but there were no useful applications on it.

You're allowed Polysmlt and Ctlghelp from what i remember

Look at the "List of approved Flash (ROM) applications" in the following document... some applications are allowed x

Conditions of Use of GDC in Examination

Edit: oops it didn't attach the way I wanted it to - go to the math forum and it's posted under "notes and data booklets" if you want to have a look though

And for your earlier question on what to do - just reset your calculator for the exam - this should delete all RAM (which doesnt include apps so you're ok)

For a TI-84/83 go to 2nd, Mem and then RESET

Edited by Aboo

It's funny because we had a document posted on our billboard in school that said explicitly that no applications are allowed. I guess the rules have changed since or our school had an old or misinformed poster up.

Head of maths said that having applications can be confusing because you might misuse it and get a wrong answer and then assume that the one you worked out is wrong, and there goes the confusion. Even if they didnt clear all application I dont advise anyone to use them.

I thought you were allowed to have an application for the quadratic formula. Not that it'd help me because I can't applications on my calculator since I don't have the cable for the computer.

My teacher told us(all Maths Studies students, listen up if you don't already know this) that when they reset your calculator, turn it back on right afterwards and 1) Change it to degrees if the default mode is radians (which I think it is) and 2) Go to the Catalog (2nd function and then press 0) and turn the Diagnostic function on. Having the Diagnostic on doesn't affect any other calculations, so no answers will be wrong, but without it on you won't be able to calculate Pearson's correlation coefficient (it'll come up as an error).

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to save the apps on your computer or something so that you can put them back in? And does this apply to applications AND programs, or just apps? I wasn't sure what the difference is. :P For example, I have a program that does the quadratic equation, and that's basically it. Would I have to remove that too?

I'll try the TI connect that I have, to see if I can transfer the apps and programs to my computer. There's so many that came with my calculator, stuff like practice SAT questions and everything. Where can I get PolySmlt? Might be good to have...

I'll try the TI connect that I have, to see if I can transfer the apps and programs to my computer. There's so many that came with my calculator, stuff like practice SAT questions and everything. Where can I get PolySmlt? Might be good to have...

I downloaded mine from google (well, googling) a while ago. Should be easy to find.

http://mathspot.co.uk/mrhalsey/classt/tiprograms.html

Jeez, is it just me or is google cluttered up with junk links now?

Jeez, is it just me or is google cluttered up with junk links now?

lol heck yes! information overload will be our downfall, I tell ya.

Our school has a set of calculators for us to use just for exams like the IB math and sciences, and they have a program like polysmlt. It's not as good, but it does basically the same thing. If we were to use our own calculator, we would have to get it wiped down, and most likely, our teachers would remove ALL apps, including polysmlt.