Please help me, career decision.

zegarrv

Hey guys, I'm in the first year of the IB (just started) and I wanted to study economics when I finished the IB but now that I'm in economics higher I really don't understand anything and I'm finding it really boring (perhaps microeconomis is boring?). I've found that I'm good at psychology and TOK so I wanted to know if there was any career that mixed psychology with philosophy and perhaps economics? Also which universities offer this career?

I'm in a real crisis right now, if I want to study psychology I would change economics higher to biology higher so could someone help me with this? I have about a week to decide whether I will change subjects or not.

Thanks for your help people.

Where do you want to go for University? There is a PPE option in the UK, but that is Politics, Philosophy and Economics.

If you are in the US, you can either double major or have a major and a minor. All depends on where you want to go for university.

Hey guys, I was wondering what were the top undergraduate psychology programs? Is there a ranking for psychology? Also, would biology be necessary if I want to study psychology? I'm doing economics, psychology and maths higher level, spanish a1, english a1 and physics standard. Are these good subject choices for studying psychology at university?

Thanks people, hope you can help me.

Sorry, I don't know enough to answer your questions but I would just like to point out that your high school courses don't necessarily need to determine what career you choose. Perhaps your economics course is boring/hard to understand because of the teacher's approach to the subject. The difference between having a mediocre teacher and a fantastic teacher is amazing. Don't write off your initial desire to go into economics when you graduate IB - my advice would be to keep your options open.

Edited by meh

honestly, you will not know what you really want to do for your career until like your junior year of college. i mean, that's generally the most case anyway. some people know what they really want to do and follow that path (like, if your passion is music and you've been a band nerd all through high school or somethng) but that's pretty rare i must say.

i see people say "i'm gonna go to so-and-so university, major in chemistry and go to so-and-so graduate school and become a pharmacist" after they graudate high school and by their junior year of college, they say "i've changed my mind. i'm majoring in economics and going to so-and-so law school after undergrad." and that's really normal.

pretty much, my point is--you don't need to worry about what universities offer a major in philosophy at this point. i'm graduating in 22 days and i don't even know what i'm gonna major in.

just take the classes that would interest you (although, i found it rather difficult to "choose" classes with such a set curriculum in IB).

I agree with what everyone has said... because I speak from experience!

I did Chem HL thinking I would do a chem degree... I ended up wanting to do behavioural neuroscience (too bad I didn't take AP psych eh?)

You can't know all the answers now.

Do what makes you happy, but be assured it will change :)

• 3 weeks later...

well i'd say maybe something like anthropology would be appropriate? or how about sociology... i saw in the uk there are often courses such as sociology and media or sociology and psychology...

from what you say this seems like the most logical to me plus i think these are really interesting subjects to study.

• 2 weeks later...

Do wut u love.

That said, go into something related to psychology.

Here are some jobs related to both Econ and psychology.

Economist for a private firm. (you could also serve as the resident psych profile guy for the company)

Market Research Analyst

Economic Psychologist (lol)

Do some more reseach