Theatre PPP

holepuncher

hi, i'm currently doing theatre SL, my teacher is kinda confusing, so i don't understand most of the time. but i would like to know, how exactly should we carry out a PPP.

like i know we have a stimuli and then we find influences from there. but can we really focus on anything, from movements to stage construct to costumes?

can we really focus on anything, from movements to stage construct to costumes?

You're supposed to focus on all of that. What you do is you come up with an idea of a play and you write a 250 word pitch for section one. In Section Two, you illustrate the costumes, the blocking (if you want), the set, etc. You should support all your illustrations/visuals with text, but it should not be written as an essay. So you're coming up with an idea and then illusrtating the visuals of the "play" based on the stimuli.

Good Luck :)

Edited by Zasxee

Inevitably, even if you end up doing something like lighting, you HAVE to address the other areas of theatre i.e. sound, set. BUT you don't necessarily need to do a "play", you can do anything theatrical (dance number, song cycle, standard play, puppet show, etc...) Use your imagination! :)

im not sure what a PPP is but we are doing our IAs

and for our finals last term we have done the production bible

where we had to concentrate on EVERY detail of the play

like we can start with the stage, props, lighting, cast, reasons why they are casted, their costumes and a short

explanation of it, blockings, sound, actions

and stuff well its not hard its just that you should try to be as detailed as possible and to analyze its relationship

to the play and nail it (if we are just going to go around and around, IB will fail us)

though arts may not be memorization or something, it has alot of aspects where we have to do alot of work

im HL and im kinda worried cuz our teacher says that the overall average around the world is a 4 :)

if you need help, i am free just message me or something ;)

best of luck to you!

The overall average for IB is 4, i think (or like 20 something points), mainly because a lot of students either A) don't care, or B) don't figure out how to work inside IB's rules, which is pretty much what theatre is all about. To get a 7 in Theatre, you pretty much have to take whatever you're doing in theatre and edit it to fit the IB's rules.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the PPP so much when I did it.

Look at the marking criteria and you will notice that you NEED to say how all the theatrical devices complement each other in producing a piece of theatre. i.e. the whole is greater than its sums.

I used I Giorni, by Ludovico Einaudi.

What a stimulus to have, MUST give it a listen :D

I would spend hours just listening to the song, thinking about what it means and what I could do, until I fell asleep.

What a way to work, huh?!

The other stimuli I had was a comic strip, a japanese short story, a poem and something else.

My final idea was a ballet performance behind a screen, so that the audience only sees the shadows of 2 dancers, performing the interwine of a love relationship, kinda thing. Cause it kinda goes up and down, so I thought it should be a bit like the sun and the moon, and their orbits and their relationship to each other.

Used Laban's 8 basic efforts, amongst other things.

• 11 months later...

i've just finished my mock PPP and i really enjoyed it - even though i doubt that the result deserves something more than 5. our stimulus was the Trojan Women by Euripides. I used the character of Cassandra, and even though the concept was clear, i don't think i made a good usage of the theater elements. one tip i can give is that PPP needs time, especially for working on the concept. generally, i don't think it is very hard (: i love the creativity of this project.

• 7 months later...

The important word is 'Practical' in PPP. Obviously, great ideas will boost your grade, but HOW it is going to materialize is more important.

I'd say don't get too carried away with huge ideas (you'll have to spend a lot of time mulling over the nitty gritty of how it's gonna work... and then explaining it). You could work with a simple idea and potentially ace the whole thing because you're well-acquainted with the practical requirements of staging a theatrical production.

From what I know, we only have 4 weeks to complete the task (I may be wrong) so we don't really have a lot of time. Do some research on lighting, ask about how colours work under different lights and try it out for yourself (if you start early). Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Ahh! I've lost my ppp stimuli for the may 2011 session (this upcoming one, I know one of them is the seven deadly sins?) so could anyone tell me what they are? <_<

The stimuli are:

The Seven Deadly Sins (pride, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, greed, sloth)

Why the Praying Mantis Shakes (story from Ghana)

Dreamtime Chart (Aboriginal religion)

"Hue of the cherry" by Ono no Komachi (poem)

"Her eyes are underneath the ground" by Antony and the Johnsons (song)

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...