Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deissi

Economics HL - Papers 1 and 2 ONLY! (MAY09)

How did you find the exam? I did TZ2, and in P1 I liked questions 1 and 3, the microeconomic one about costs and the international economic one about marshall-lerner condition etc. I answered chose Q1 because it was more straightforward and I thought I would've needed more time to do question 3.

In Paper 2, I was probably the only one in my class not doing question 1, the one on PPCs. Instead, I did questions 2, 3, and 5, the ones on oligopoly pricing, neg. externality of production, and the current account and Terms of Trade (I think).

In general, I thought paper 2 was very good and Paper 1 was average. How did you find them?

You sure it wasn't TZ0?

Anyway, Economics went well! I chose question 2 on paper 1, which was pretty straightforward. Unfortunately I couldn't talk about as much as I wanted due to time pressure, but I think it should be alright >.<

Paper 2 wasn't bad either, I did 1, 2 and 3. I felt pretty confident in answering the questions, except I'm a bit ambivalent about there not being much to write about, so I only wrote 5 sheets in total.

what about paper 3? when are you guys doing that?? >.<

We did it yesterday, but we're not allowed to talk about it until 1pm GMT, which is in an hour :sadnod:

I'm happy I got through all 3 exams without knowing any Intl Economics. I have a feeling I slept through all those classes in school, and although I looked at the section in our revision guide I just didn't get it in time (if I'd started reading our huge green Glanville book earlier I would've read and understood it). The one thing I could've answered was a question on comparative advantage, and they didn't have one. Oh well.

I drew the AD/AS model so many times those 2 days of exams. It honestly bored me. And what's with the question "Using an appropriate diagram, explain...". I thought of 3 different graphs I could've used to explain the question. Maybe there was meant to be more than one choice.

Economics was just finneee (comparing to MAths SL for example, which was a killer!!!!)

paper was ok (I chose Q1 about costs and economic efficiency. if u knew the costs graphs it was really easy)

paper 2 was ok as well, here i chose Q1,2,6. (all was fine, except that i forgot to add the kinked demand curve for non-collusive oligopoly, and actually it might b like 50% fo points:/ )

paper 3 went the worse for me, but thats just because of the time limit. questions were really nice (thank u IB that u decided not to kill us! )

but yeah... TIIMMEEEE... :/

My classmate also didn't include the Kinked Demand Curve for non-collusive oligopolies, but she was very proud of having remembered the Phillips curve for paper 1. Although she just drew it and didn't explain it/relate it to anything she was saying, so I don't think she'll get any marks for her memorization skills.

Hmm... I should think the kinked demand curve is vital for the non-collusive oligopoly, but I guess if you discuss non-price competition thoroughly, you can score well too. I wish we had game theory, that's the real explanation for non-collusive oligopolies.

I don't think my classmate discussed it very thoroughly, she was aiming to get a 4 in Economcis overall :P One classmate revised only from the SL revision guide and he did HL Economics. They were figuring out how much they needed to get 4's (so between 40 and 50%).