Swine flu

Haney

Honestly, I don't think it's that much more of a big deal than any other flu. No matter what kind of flu you get, it's something that's not good.

I know people who have had swine flu, and they're fine now.

The media put up this big hype around it, and now people on the streets everywhere are walking around paranoid that they're going to drop dead any second.

The only reason swine flu has been made such a big deal out of is because humans aren't as immune to it as they are to normal flu viruses.

I found on a website that "the cases outside Mexico have been no more serious than your average flu bug."

It is dangerous, I know...but it's not a basilisk.

(Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself into getting swine flu ;) )

I had swine flu this summer and it wasn't as bad as the normal flu. With the proper diagnosis and rest, it took me four days to recover. The normal flu had taken me nine. It's going to probably go around, yes, but it just means everybody gets sick, gets immune, and it's done with. It's like any other flu.

My cousin just got swine flu but it's very mild with her. She's feeling ill but it isn't any different from any other influenza. However, wasn't it said that the strain might mutate and get worse in winter? Does this mean that people who had it would not be immune to it anymore? Also, if it mutates, how do they make an effective vaccine?

• 2 weeks later...

Giving everybody a vaccination against swine flu is an absolutely ridiculous waste of money :) Especially when there isn't much money to go around!

Seeing as we can spot people who are at risk of complications (we've seen enough cases to identify which people those are), they should be vaccinated and then we should have done with it. Any previously healthy risk-free person is going to have nothing more than a sore throat and a temperature. If any country does mass/complete vaccination, it's going to look a bit mental, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Victoria in Australia where there is the highest concentration of swine flu in the world. Literally half my friends have it.

Oddly enough, I live in Victoria too, and the only person I knew that had it, was a korean guy at my school who had recently gone to New York.

I do believe the media has built up the hype of the disease, but like every other disease, it should be taken seriously. But, that said, I'm not getting the vaccine until it has been further tested as I believe they don't know enough about the vaccine and its side effects. However, I do believe it is important that the elderly, pregnant and people with supressed immune systems are immunised.

I don't feel that swine flu is any more of a threat than the normal flu. However, if it mutates with another kind of flu, then maybe we'll have a different story on our hands.

I traveled to Melbourne in June (I think) and therefore I got a week in quarantine to do study and all of my assignments upon returning to Brisbane. It was awesome because I had all of my exams for the end of term the following week. Thanks to Swine flu, my report card was really good :( haha. As it turns out, that was like the second last week that they did the forced quarantine thing :)

Edited by Matthew Sinclair

• 1 month later...

Well, schools in my city are closed because of quarantine about more then 3 weeks. But, in fact, I don't worry about it. I've heard that pig flue has bad relationships with low temperture, but is -25C now)

Edited by Lena

to me it means no school.. back in may they suspended school for a week in high schools here in mexico city... but it was crazy out there; people wouldn't leave their houses and everyone was ALWAYS using the stupid surgical or medical masks.

it also meant a horrible blow to our tourism which is a big part of our economy

honestly I don't think it's that bad. I didn't even want to get the vaccination so I refused, and then my mom told me I couldn't actually do that, because I'm not eighteen yet. and so I got the shot yesterday and man am I feeling sick because of it. :/

• 4 months later...

I say screw the people that think that it is no big deal and that it is exaggerated. I may be the person that takes it the most seriously.

My friend died of swine flu. He had some respiratory problems and literally died from this flu. Don't say it is stupid or exaggerated because you have no idea what the heck your talking about.

People always say that swine flu is no big deal because more people die of the regular flu. The thing is that the people who die of the regular flu generally are older or have weakened immune systems or something like that, whereas people who die of swine flu are often young, healthy individuals with no other health problems. I got my shot and I got sick for a few days, but I think that that's a lot better than getting the actual swine flu.

As for the Calgary Flames getting their vaccinations early, I don't think that's fair. The argument is that it's due to them having to travel everywhere, but if that's the case, why don't foreign correspondents for news broadcasts or businessmen going abroad get to skip the lines? I don't think that argument is valid.