Chemisry HL P1 + 2 + 3: all timezones MAY09

TeeBlake

I'm from Canada...i think i'm TZ1 o.o

P1: i found it somewhat difficult...worst possible scenario would be a 29/40

P2: slightly easier...i can't do electrochem though...and probably screwed up the stoich one...danggg

P3: it was freaking hard...o.o, i did food and human biochem...didn't know a lot of the stuffs going on...

i'm hoping for a 6...but now it looks like i'm gotta get a 5

I'm TZ2. I thought Paper 1.. well I don't know what was up with the first page!! Somebody turned the paper inside out and made the last few questions weirdly easy and the first 5 questions like they were going to take me forever & I needed a calculator! I hate them for their obsession with measurements and avogadro-- that's exactly what we don't get taught to look at.

Paper 2 was the normal chemistry paper aka I have absolutely no idea what happened but I'm hoping to pick up half marks. I went back at the end and every single calculation I'd done was wrong (apparently I now can't use calculators!) :D ; Sooo glad I raced through that one so I had time to go back! I thought the final questions weren't really a clear choice between which were decent and which weren't, so I did a kinetics question and an organic question (which really confused me because you spent like 5 marks discussing something, then had to find two 2-step syntheses which required exactly the same method you'd just discussed o.O Threw me a bit thinking I'd screwed up somewhere).

Paper 3 was meh. Further Organic wasn't quite as devilishly hard as usual, but Drugs & Medicines was reasonably tricky, as you needed to have practised writing out the equations for some of the things we'd only ever learnt as sort-of.. phrases, I guess. Like the fact that you have to deliver aspirin as an ionic salt I was cool with, as it's in the textbook, but then being asked to write the equation for this = not good!! That kind of thing seemed to happen quite a bit in that section, actually...

All in all, my grades have gone from 7 --> 6 --> 5 over the 2 years and I reckon they've hopefully stalled out at 5 on those papers. Kinda a pain. I think I could've done better if I hadn't had spanish all morning before P1 & P2. Nearly fell asleep in P2 -- I completely zoned out at one point and 'woke up' to see that 10 minutes had gone by on the clock!

/rambling

TZ2

I think P1 was quite easy. I think I got most of them right, except for maybe four questions, where I had absolutely no idea. So I just chose whatever letter I hadn't written in a while. :D

P2. I don't know what happened. It wasn't a disaster, but.. well. I forgot (!!) that the enthaply of formation for elements is zero. So there was one question I lost a lot of marks on. At least I tried to write what I should had done, had I known the enthalpy of formation of H2. For section B I chose questions 5 and 7. 5 was so easy. I loved that question. 7... I don't know. I really don't know.

P3. Human biochemistry was wonderfully easy (knock on wood). Medicines and drugs.. well. My brain went completely blank. I panicked and tried to do Food chemistry instead, since I wrote my EE on antioxidants and my best friends had that option and I had listened to them talk about it. But I'm lucky if I get 2 marks on that one.

There went my 6/7 in Chemistry, as well as my university offers.

TZ2

P1: The question like "which want has the biggest amount...?" made me confused some how.. I was thinking of how can I standardize the unit. I wasn't really sure of my answer after all... Hope I got it right.

P2: The questions are quite familiar this time. But I admit that I made a few careless mistake here and there. This time I noticed that there are lot of calculations that involve many values. (e.g the RMM for aspirin) and I have to flip through the data booklet several times to find the enthalpy change and stuffs.. Section B, I answered on organic Chemistry questions and ..(cant remember what's another one).. Luckily that Organic Chemistry came out since I had already aim for this q.

P3: I chose Modern Analytical Chemistry (MAC) and HUman biochem... Both are pretty good. But still, there's a few questions that I not really give good answer. Simply crapping things in my mind... By the way, my friend who planned to answer Environmental at first chose to answer MAC instead... It shows that MAC is quite easier this time compared to Evironmental..

Hoping for at least a 6 in Chemistry...

TZ1

Paper one seemed pretty good overall, there were some weird questions but I forget what they are now lol...

Paper two I felt pretty confident about, I chose the electrochem and another one of the questions...once again I forget.

Paper three I did not feel prepared for well enough. I did Further Organic and Modern Analytical. There were one or two slip-ups with Modern Analytical, I forgot what a double beam spectroscoper or whatever that thing is. The ligand question was also kind of weird. Further organic was just...blah...I'm hoping I got enough points to pull off a 6 but it's questionable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Europe (TZ2 probably)

P1: Wasn't too difficult, because I've prepared well. I expect to get 35/40 (at least)

P2: Was quite normal, though I'm not sure about the long exercises with thermodynamics and similar stuff (I may have made mistakes) expected - at least 80% correct

P3: I've prepared for it really well. I did human biochemistry (which was easy and well-known) and medicines and drugs (some parts were difficult and I clearly did at least two exercises partially wrong)

That's that. Overall, I expect to get 6 (as predicted) XD

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn't extremely hard, but it wasn't particularly easy, either. IMO, though, there has been no really hard chem exam purely because there are so many papers and so many different topics, you're very unlikely to get a year where it's properly "argh" difficulty all the way through. If you know what I mean! xP There were some evil questions on all the papers, but that's just how Chem exams are. You can't really predict off them or spot any patterns :P

Certain aspects of it were harder than usual, though. For instance I found the Drug and Medicines section quite a lot more difficult than it usually is. Normally it's actually ridiculously easy, but it was quite difficult this time round.